Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Penn St./Sandusky controversy « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

: November 07, 2011, 11:15:48 AM

In case you haven't heard:
 http://www.mlive.com/sports/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2011/11/as_molestation_charges_hit_jer.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57319610/sandusky-probe-penn-st-officials-face-charges/

maybe this should be in the college football forum or the Cove but it is a major news story and involves a high level football program.  worthy of discussion.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 07, 2011, 11:19:36 AM

Wow.  That is ****ed up.  Especially coming from a Paterno contemporary.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#2 : November 07, 2011, 11:21:51 AM

That is sickening to read.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 07, 2011, 11:22:32 AM

You have to wonder if this will be what brings Paterno's storied career to an end.  Should he have done more?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#4 : November 07, 2011, 11:25:23 AM

Wow - I didn't even know that Penn St was a Catholic university.......expected this kind of story to come out of Notre Dame.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 07, 2011, 11:26:19 AM

Wow - I didn't even know that Penn St was a Catholic university.......expected this kind of story to come out of Notre Dame.

I can't lie... I chuckled.  I'm a terrible person.

kjbugman

Starter

#6 : November 07, 2011, 12:55:52 PM

The Sad part is that ESPN isn't talking about it.

BIG MAC AND BIG SACK!

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 07, 2011, 01:07:27 PM

like Bobby Bowden, I'm sure there are a lot of powerful Penn State alum/donors who would like to get rid of Joe Pa now that they don't compete for national championships anymore but can't because he is an icon and just won't retire.  well here's there chance even if he didn't do anything wrong.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 07, 2011, 01:08:34 PM

The Sad part is that ESPN isn't talking about it.
big story on GMA this morning.  surprise ESPN isn't all over this.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#9 : November 07, 2011, 01:15:34 PM

Really, ESPN is mum about the incident? Did you happen to turn on your HDTV or visit ESPN.com?

Probably not.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7201952/penn-state-nittany-lions-tim-curley-takes-leave-gary-schultz-steps-amid-scandal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Two top Penn State officials charged with covering up allegations of an explosive child-sex abuse scandal related to former defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky vacated their positions Sunday after an emergency meeting of the university's Board of Trustees.

Penn State athletic director Tim Curley requested to be placed on administrative leave so he could devote the time needed to defend himself against perjury and other charges, university president Graham Spanier said. Gary Schultz, vice president for finance and business, will step down and go back into retirement, Spanier said. He declined to comment to reporters after the meeting.

Resignations of famed football coach Joe Paterno and Spanier were not discussed at the meeting, which was arranged Sunday and lasted two hours, university spokesman Bill Mahon said.

Curley and Schultz were charged Saturday after a grand jury investigation of Sandusky, who has charged with sexually abusing eight boys over 15 years. Lawyers for all three men have said their clients are innocent.

Joe Paterno releases statement

Paterno If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters. While I did what I was supposed to with the one charge brought to my attention, like anyone else involved I can't help but be deeply saddened these matters are alleged to have occurred.

Sue and I have devoted our lives to helping young people reach their potential. The fact that someone we thought we knew might have harmed young people to this extent is deeply troubling.

If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers.

As my grand jury testimony stated, I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report.

Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators. I understand that people are upset and angry, but let's be fair and let the legal process unfold.

In the meantime I would ask all Penn Staters to continue to trust in what that name represents, continue to pursue their lives every day with high ideals and not let these events shake their beliefs nor who they are.

Sandusky, once considered Paterno's heir apparent, retired in 1999 but continued to use the school's facilities for his work with The Second Mile, a foundation he established to help at-risk kids. Curley and Schultz are accused of failing to alert police -- as required by state law -- of their investigation of the allegations.

"This is a case about a sexual predator who used his position within the university and community to repeatedly prey on young boys," state attorney general Linda Kelly said Saturday.

In a statement, The Second Mile said that to "our knowledge, all the alleged incidents occurred outside of our programs and events." The group also said it never was made aware of the allegations against Sandusky in the grand jury report.

Kelly and state police commissioner Frank Noonan are expected to hold a 1 p.m. ET news conference Monday a few miles from the Harrisburg district court. The arraignment of both Curley and Schultz is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET.

Paterno, who last week became the coach with the most wins in Division I football history, wasn't charged, and the grand jury report didn't appear to implicate him in wrongdoing.

In a statement issued Sunday night, Paterno said he was shocked, saddened and as surprised as anyone to hear of the charges.

"If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers," Paterno said in a statement issued by his son, Scott.

Curley was named athletic director on Dec. 30, 1993. Senior associate athletic director Mark Sherburne will serve as interim athletic director until Curley's legal situation is resolved, board chairman Steve Garban said.

Schultz served as senior vice president and treasurer from 1993 to 2009. He returned to the job this year to fill in until someone else could be found. The Board of Trustees named a child care center on campus after Schultz in January 2010.

The allegations against Sandusky, who started The Second Mile in 1977, range from sexual advances, to touching, to oral and anal sex. The young men testified before a state grand jury that they were in their early teens when some of the abuse occurred; there is evidence even younger children may have been victimized. Sandusky's attorney Joe Amendola said his client has been aware of the accusations for about three years and has maintained his innocence.

A preliminary hearing scheduled for Wednesday likely would be delayed, Amendola said. Sandusky is charged with multiple counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, corruption of minors, endangering the welfare of a child, indecent assault and unlawful contact with a minor, as well as single counts of aggravated indecent assault and attempted indecent assault.

The first case to come to light was a boy who met Sandusky when he was 11 or 12, the grand jury said. The boy received expensive gifts and trips to sports events from Sandusky, and physical contact began during his overnight stays at Sandusky's home, jurors said. Eventually, the boy's mother reported the allegations of sexual assault to his high school, and Sandusky was banned from the child's school district in Clinton County in 2009. That triggered the state investigation that culminated in charges Saturday.

But the report also alleges much earlier instances of abuse and details failed efforts to stop it by some who became aware of what was happening.

Another child, known only as a boy about 11 to 13, was seen by a janitor pinned against a wall while Sandusky performed oral sex on him in fall 2000, the grand jury said.

Sandusky on ABCNews.com

ABCNews.com In an on-camera Q&A with ABC News reporters that aired on World News with David Muir, Jerry Sandusky deferred questions about the sex-abuse charges to his attorney. Story

And in 2002, Kelly said, a graduate assistant saw Sandusky sexually assault a naked boy, estimated to be about 10 years old, in a team locker room shower. The grad student and his father reported what he saw to Paterno, who immediately told Curley, prosecutors said.

Curley and Schultz met with the graduate assistant about a week and a half later, Kelly said.

"Despite a powerful eyewitness statement about the sexual assault of a child, this incident was not reported to any law enforcement or child protective agency, as required by Pennsylvania law," Kelly said.

There's no indication that anyone at school attempted to find the boy or follow up with the witness, she said.

Curley denied that the assistant had reported anything of a sexual nature, calling it "merely 'horsing around,' " the 23-page grand jury report said. But he also testified that he barred Sandusky from bringing children onto campus and that he advised Spanier of the matter.

The grand jury said Curley was lying, Kelly said, adding that it also deemed portions of Schultz's testimony not to be credible.

Schultz told the jurors he also knew of a 1998 investigation involving sexually inappropriate behavior by Sandusky with a boy in the showers the football team used.

But despite his job overseeing campus police, he never reported the 2002 allegations to any authorities, "never sought or received a police report on the 1998 incident and never attempted to learn the identity of the child in the shower in 2002," the jurors wrote. "No one from the university did so."

The board chairman said Sunday that he would appoint a task force to conduct an independent review of the university's policies and procedures related to the protection of children.

University representatives released a statement from Spanier on Saturday calling the allegations against Sandusky "troubling" and adding that Curley and Schultz had his unconditional support.

He predicted they will be exonerated.

"I have known and worked daily with Tim and Gary for more than 16 years," Spanier said. "I have complete confidence in how they handled the allegations about a former university employee."

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#10 : November 08, 2011, 12:00:05 AM

Disturbing.

TheAman

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 08, 2011, 12:30:20 AM

At this point, this is the absolute best case scenario: Joe Paterno, the Athletic Director, and probably a lot of people within the administration (including most likely the president of the university) knew about the allegations, and buried their heads in the sand.  That is the best case scenario.  Anyone who thinks JoePa should keep his job is a fool.  Anyone who says he's a good person who made a mistake is horribly misguided.  In all likelihood, the best case scenario isn't what is going to happen, and we're going to find out that people at Penn State, who parents trust with their children, knew about someone associated with the university raping young boys and not only did nothing about it, but actively covered it up.  This could end up being the biggest scandal that we've had in sports, as well as at an any American institution, and I honestly don't think I'm exaggerating.

Oh, and if you don't think basically everyone at Penn State, from the President down, isn't losing their job, you're out of your mind.
: November 08, 2011, 12:31:51 AM TheAman

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 08, 2011, 09:24:34 AM

Local paper makes their stand and i is worth a read both for being right and for providing  a quick snynopsis:

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=PA_PN&ref_pge=lst

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#13 : November 08, 2011, 07:46:49 PM

Should Penn State face the death penalty for this?

dexmonkey

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 08, 2011, 08:29:32 PM

Should Penn State face the death penalty for this?

the NCAA cant impose the death penalty for this. there was no acdemic imprpriety or cheating invloved. they will however face the death penalty in the court of public opinion. this is going to give Penn State a massive blackeye from a PR standpoint. these situations are the kind that nobody forgets. 50 years from now people will remember this. the university will have to live with this for the rest of its time. this is one sad, disgusting, shameful chapter in their history. this is similar to people thinking of the national guard and the klan when thinking of Ole Miss. some things are too awful to forget

its a shame that Joe Pa has to go out this way but thats how things are going to play out. i thought it was bad when we pushed Bowden out. This makes it look like nothing. i dont see how the university can keep him there in the wake of this. they will have to clean house just to even begin the closure process. im not really sure how involved paterno is with the program anymore as it is. he seems like just a figurehead at this point. but unfortunately he is still the boss and this happenened under his watch
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  College Football Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The Penn St./Sandusky controversy « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools