Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Its been repeatedly said, so goes #5, so goes the team « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Uncle Stan

Hall of Famer
: November 14, 2011, 11:33:08 AM

Well #5 has regressed terribly and the team has followed him.

He is still starring down receivers, with a couple of exceptions is not running when the opportunity is there, no zip on his throws and body language shows no fire.

Learn to disagree without being disagreeable-Ronald Reagan circa 1981

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#1 : November 14, 2011, 11:41:51 AM

He is still starring down receivers, with a couple of exceptions is not running when the opportunity is there, no zip on his throws and body language shows no fire.

A complete 180 since last year.. It is like somebody got into his head and told him not to trust his gut anymore.  He is like a robot out there and it isnt pretty

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 14, 2011, 11:42:15 AM

Rich Gannon -- whose opinion I trust completely -- said two things that resonated with me during the game yesterday.

1) The receivers aren't winning their match-ups.  Gannon said something along the lines of, "Usually, you get one or two guys winning sometimes," insinuating that none of our guys are open, ever.

and

2) Freeman is missing easy targets.  Gannon diagnosed it as, "a complete lack of confidence."

To be honest with you, Freeman wasn't a pin-point, laser-sighted, knock-the-balls-of-a-fly quarterback in 2010.  He threw plenty of passes wide, and overthrew a ton of targets.  The difference was, when a receiver is wide open (which happened an awful lot last year), they can stretch or jump or bend for a catch.  This season, defenses are playing tight and aggressively in the secondary, and challenging Freeman to make that on-the-money throw that he really struggles with.

How many times did you see him throw a perfect pass into tight coverage in 2010?  I remember one: Sammie Stroughter, on fourth down, against the Falcons.  And you know what?  That one looked more accidental than skillful (great catch, though).

Josh can't seem to throw his receivers open, and that's fine.  Steve McNair struggled with that, too.  But that means that someone needs to beat the coverage downfield.  We have a strong-armed, reckless quarterback (which is, again, completely viable in this league), and a handful of poor route-runners.  His strength is buying time in the pocket, and being able to place the ball at any length down the field.  Defenses are forcing him to throw short and into slim windows, to receivers who can't get open.

That doesn't spell success.

EDIT: I should qualify, Freeman sucks ass this season.  I am by no means giving him a pass (in fact, I'm the one who predicted a regression at the end of last season).  All I'm saying is, he's the same quarterback we saw in 2010; the inaccuracy is nothing new.  The big difference is our receivers being completely nullified by the opposing coverage, hence the incessant, frustrating checkdowns.
: November 14, 2011, 11:45:57 AM Blaze688

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 14, 2011, 11:52:40 AM

So who is the one that chooses to have Spurlock non existent on offense?  He is the most consistent WR on the roster and he was inactive yesterday....

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 14, 2011, 11:57:55 AM

So who is the one that chooses to have Spurlock non existent on offense?  He is the most consistent WR on the roster and he was inactive yesterday....

These are the moves that I can't figure out.

And further, remember a few games back when we brought Spurlock in for ONE PLAY, and he threw the ball off a reverse?  Hmm.  I wonder if the defense knew that our Wildcat quarterback was going to be part of the play design.  Or Josh Johnson coming in on 3rd and four, only to run the ball for no gain.

We should have a rotating slot receiver.  Parker, Stroughter, Spurlock, and Briscoe have all proven capable of holding that spot, and they all bring something different to the offense.  Parker's a match-up problem for linebackers, Stroughter has some of the surest hands on the team, Spurlock is a sound deep threat and passer, and Briscoe's been our best all-around receiver this season.  What are they thinking?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 14, 2011, 11:59:38 AM

Spurlock was the deep threat last year, ignoring Benn's flashes of brilliance, so why they would relegate him to no existent baffles me.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 14, 2011, 12:01:22 PM

Spurlock was the deep threat last year, ignoring Benn's flashes of brilliance, so why they would relegate him to no existent baffles me.

I.  Can't.  Figure.  It out.  Spurlock had -- what? -- two game-winning catches last year?  He led us in deep catches, didn't he?  Then this season, when the depth chart doesn't change, he gets no play time.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 14, 2011, 12:10:00 PM

I think we give #5 too much "credit" as he had nothing to do with that defensive performance yesterday. Granted, he did nothing to help them but he wasn't out there for those two 80yd strikes.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#8 : November 14, 2011, 12:32:05 PM

#5 has regressed, he's 23, had a great 2010 season, so the promise and potential is there he just needs to be Coached up and surronded with a Pro Coaching Staff. If Harbaugh can turn around Alex Smith just imagine what a quality coach could do with the offensive talent of Freeman, Blount and Williams...

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

mattyd1521

Second String
#9 : November 14, 2011, 12:36:20 PM

My biggest concern with Freeman is he looks too hesitant to run when he has the chance. When he does run he usually ends up getting a first run down and picks up a good chunk of yards.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 14, 2011, 12:38:08 PM

Rich Gannon -- whose opinion I trust completely -- said two things that resonated with me during the game yesterday.

1) The receivers aren't winning their match-ups.  Gannon said something along the lines of, "Usually, you get one or two guys winning sometimes," insinuating that none of our guys are open, ever.

and

2) Freeman is missing easy targets.  Gannon diagnosed it as, "a complete lack of confidence."

To be honest with you, Freeman wasn't a pin-point, laser-sighted, knock-the-balls-of-a-fly quarterback in 2010.  He threw plenty of passes wide, and overthrew a ton of targets.  The difference was, when a receiver is wide open (which happened an awful lot last year), they can stretch or jump or bend for a catch.  This season, defenses are playing tight and aggressively in the secondary, and challenging Freeman to make that on-the-money throw that he really struggles with.

How many times did you see him throw a perfect pass into tight coverage in 2010?  I remember one: Sammie Stroughter, on fourth down, against the Falcons.  And you know what?  That one looked more accidental than skillful (great catch, though).

Josh can't seem to throw his receivers open, and that's fine.  Steve McNair struggled with that, too.  But that means that someone needs to beat the coverage downfield.  We have a strong-armed, reckless quarterback (which is, again, completely viable in this league), and a handful of poor route-runners.  His strength is buying time in the pocket, and being able to place the ball at any length down the field.  Defenses are forcing him to throw short and into slim windows, to receivers who can't get open.

EDIT: I should qualify, Freeman sucks ass this season.  I am by no means giving him a pass (in fact, I'm the one who predicted a regression at the end of last season).  All I'm saying is, he's the same quarterback we saw in 2010; the inaccuracy is nothing new.  The big difference is our receivers being completely nullified by the opposing coverage, hence the incessant, frustrating checkdowns.

Easiest way to beat this is to go 4 wide to force a matchup on a safety or dime DB.  Unfortunately we don't confidence in the OL or Blount to protect Freeman from the rush in these situations.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 14, 2011, 12:38:55 PM

My biggest concern with Freeman is he looks too hesitant to run when he has the chance. When he does run he usually ends up getting a first run down and picks up a good chunk of yards.

Even when he does run he seems hesitant.  I'm not sure if it's an undisclosed injury or something mental.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#12 : November 14, 2011, 12:41:38 PM

and

Easiest way to beat this is to go 4 wide to force a matchup on a safety or dime DB.  Unfortunately we don't confidence in the OL or Blount to protect Freeman from the rush in these situations.

A five step drop isn't necessary with that many WR's on the field as the defense is stretched out and throwing lanes increased. 

JohnBuc06

Starter

#13 : November 14, 2011, 01:02:27 PM

and

A five step drop isn't necessary with that many WR's on the field as the defense is stretched out and throwing lanes increased.

As stated in another thread I think the Bucs should bench Williams and Winslow and go with a TE/WR set of Stocker, Benn, Parker, and Briscoe.  Freeman for whatever reason zeroes in on Williams and Winslow nearly every play, especially 3rd down.  Defenses are aware and roll coverage to Williams side and will sit on Winslows TE route.   Taking them out of the set A) forces Freeman to go through his progressions to find the best matchup, and B) takes away 2 obvious keys for the Defense and forces them to play Freeman straight up. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 14, 2011, 01:06:13 PM

This is why it was important to improve the team in the offseason instead of staying status-quo by re-signing the crappy players that were already on the roster.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Its been repeatedly said, so goes #5, so goes the team « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools