Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is No One Bashing the WR's??? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 8

A New Momentum

Starter
: November 14, 2011, 07:44:14 PM

I honestly think this is our most glaring weakness on offense and it's not even close. I'm baffled as to how they cannot seem to separate from one on one coverage EVER and if they do get open they show no explosion after the catch. I'm 100% on board with drafting Justin Blackmon in Rd 1 next year and finally getting some actual receiving talent on this team.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 14, 2011, 07:46:39 PM

I don't think the Bucs lack talent at WR.  It is misutilized, and some are not even used at all (Spurlock).

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 14, 2011, 07:51:49 PM

I think they could still use a definite #1 guy. I think that would make Benn and Williams so much better.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#3 : November 14, 2011, 07:54:12 PM

I don't think the Bucs lack talent at WR.  It is misutilized, and some are not even used at all (Spurlock).

+1, although I will say that when your number 1 receiver was a 4th round draft pick a season ago, you may want to think about investing in a stopgap option. But that word is apparently not in Dom's dictionary.

A New Momentum

Starter
#4 : November 14, 2011, 07:54:53 PM

I'm not trying to start an argument ADW, but I'm genuinely curious as to your reasoning for thinking the Bucs have a talented WR group.

JohnBuc06

Starter

#5 : November 14, 2011, 07:55:35 PM

I think they need to bench Williams for one game ...his production has not been worthy of the amount of times he's been targeted.  If Freeman is going to stare down Williams until he's open or force a throw (or dump off when the pocket collapses) take that option away from him.  It would help Freeman to remember to go through the play progressions and it just may light a fire under Williams to put forth a better effort getting off of the press coverage and running crisper routes (not to mention hang on to the ball).  If Hayes can be benched a game on the D for lack of effort no reason Williams cant be benched a game on O.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#6 : November 14, 2011, 07:55:44 PM

A number 1 guy, a stud who can get open. Not just catch the ball over people, they need someone who can create distance from corners as well. Is there a guy like that coming out of college this year? Most of the potential number 1 types seem like guys who catch tough passes on top of corners which I'm a little hesitant about. Alshon Jeffery hasn't done anything for a big stretch of the season so far so I'm not totally sure about him either. How good can Blackmon be?

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#7 : November 14, 2011, 07:56:58 PM

I thought Floyd was a good fit, but I haven't seen enough tape on how he works. I only see the catch... People here recently told me he's not the burner that I thought he might be.

JohnBuc06

Starter

#8 : November 14, 2011, 07:57:49 PM

I'm not trying to start an argument ADW, but I'm genuinely curious as to your reasoning for thinking the Bucs have a talented WR group.

I think they are a talented group ...but right now its a group of # 2 recievers with no true # 1 playmaker.  One may develop (Benn is best bet if that happens) but we may need to add a true # 1 in the draft (not like we'll try FA).

Timbuc2

Pro Bowler

#9 : November 14, 2011, 07:59:17 PM

90% of winning a battle with the DB is the sell. You see it all of the time from WRs from other teams where they make a cut and bury that plant foot. You can gain separation just from a good sell and we were taught that in high school.

When you do that you have the majority of DBs guessing for that split second. The only recievers that I have seen do that this year effectively is Briscoe and Parker but I don't see them all every play.

I do know that when they rewind a play and you look at our receivers there is no sell. They are just running down the field and this even talking about them getting jammed at the line. Which is doubly bad if you don't have a sell.

A New Momentum

Starter
#10 : November 14, 2011, 08:01:09 PM

I agree with that sentiment JohnBuc. I think that the playcalling and Freeman's regression are making this WR corps look worse than it is, but I still believe this is only an average group at best. I'd say it is a group of maybe one number 2 and a bunch of 3's and 4's. We really need a gamechanger. NOT just a speed Desean Jackson type either.

A New Momentum

Starter
#11 : November 14, 2011, 08:02:15 PM

If our wide receivers cannot separate from man to man coverage I don't know what else needs to be said...

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 14, 2011, 08:02:47 PM

I don't want this to come off as a "I told you so" but I voiced my concern about Mike Williams after preseason game 1 against the dolphins. I said I wasn't convinced about him because even tho he had a nice catch on a deep pass, the corner was right on top of him the whole way and it looked like 9 out of 10 times the corner would have made an easy play on the ball. Yea, everyone chewed me out for saying it too... and my feelings got hurt.... hah jk, but seriously separation issues were my concern with this WR core, particularly Mike Williams because everyone proclaimed him to be a surefire stud.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 14, 2011, 08:05:29 PM

This is going to be a long post, but I will try to make it as brief as possible.

Primarily, the idea that a team needs a #1 WR to me is an overrated part of the NFL for a variety of reasons.  Given how pass happy the league is, the value of a #1 WR diminishes as more WR's are put on the field.  Basically the more WR's on the field it is harder for a defense to shut down a single WR.  When most teams ran pro sets back in the day, two WR's was the norm, thus it was imperative to have two quality WR's that could beat jams.  Especially, when going into max protect, which is why you need two smaller,shifty guys.  Olson wants to run a pro set style offense (I formation) but he doesn't have the personnel to do it on the offensive line, QB, RB, or at WR.  Specifically, as I mentioned above you need WR's that are shifty that can beat jams one on one.  Furthermore, Olson misunderstands the original spirit of the Jon Gruden offense.  While Gruden's offense was oriented with a lot of I formations, he favored three WR sets for a reason.  Because of the larger bodied WR's it would create mismatches against a LB, nickel CB, safety etc, and it is HARD to jam the slot guy where most of the mismatches happen in a Gruden oriented offense.  Gruden had to resort back to two WR offense because the LT play was abysmal, and he had to protect the QB, but doing so the offense suffered.  If it were not for Galloway it would have been really bad, but the offense chugged forward.

Based on what I have seen Spurlock needs to be on the field more as a flanker or split end, and Briscoe as well.  Mike Williams ideally is a slot guy and rotate with Parker for that.  Sammie is the ideal #4 WR in four wide formations because he can locate zone soft spots.  Benn is your deep threat decoy, or post/go route guy. 

You can't have MW on the field so much if Olson insists on so many two WR sets as MW doesn't have the nimbleness to beat jams, or speed to generate separation.  He isn't Joey Galloway that can threaten with speed, so don't put him in situations like this. 
: November 14, 2011, 08:10:37 PM alldaway

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#14 : November 14, 2011, 08:08:11 PM

90% of winning a battle with the DB is the sell. You see it all of the time from WRs from other teams where they make a cut and bury that plant foot. You can gain separation just from a good sell and we were taught that in high school.

When you do that you have the majority of DBs guessing for that split second. The only recievers that I have seen do that this year effectively is Briscoe and Parker but I don't see them all every play.

I do know that when they rewind a play and you look at our receivers there is no sell. They are just running down the field and this even talking about them getting jammed at the line. Which is doubly bad if you don't have a sell.

Thats what Williams has lacked especially when the corner is playing close to the line. his stutter step move is terrible and it has no affect on the corner. Santonio Holmes is really good with "selling" (as you put it). Thats the skillset I would like to see here

Page: 1 2 3 ... 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why is No One Bashing the WR's??? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools