Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rodgers told by Bucs days before 2005 draft he would be the 5th overall pick « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: November 16, 2011, 09:01:12 PM

Aaron Rodgers was told by Tampa Bay Buccaneers days before 2005 draft he would be the fifth overall pick

By Rick Stroud, Times Staff Writer
Posted: Nov 16, 2011 06:55 PM

This is the story of how the Tampa Bay Buccaneers let Super Bowl-winning quarterback Aaron Rodgers get away.

It's a loser's lament that is shared by many teams, for sure, as the California star lasted until the Packers selected him 24th overall in the 2005 NFL draft.

But considering the cross-country private workout arranged by then Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden, the surprise receiver sprung on the 21-year-old Rodgers and the phone call a few days before the NFL draft, well, at least Rodgers was convinced he would be a Buccaneer.

"Jon actually called me, when I was in New York, on Thursday, April 21st, and sounded like at the time they were going to take me with the 5th pick,'' Rodgers said Wednesday.

The Bucs had three quarterbacks on their roster prior to the 2005 draft -- Brian Griese, Chris Simms and Luke McCown. Veteran Tim Rattay was added before the trading deadline from the 49ers.

With Utah's Alex Smith and Cal's Rodgers considered the top two quarterbacks in the draft, Gruden, quarterbacks coach Paul Hackett and general manager Bruce Allen traveled to Berkeley in the spring of 2005. Jerry Rice, the league's all-time career receiving leader, had played for Gruden and Allen with the Oakland Raiders and lived in the Bay Area.

They arranged a meeting and private workout with Rodgers, and after watching film, told him the the guy he would be throwing footballs to would be a surprise.

"Back in 2005, I think it was maybe April or late March, Jon came out with Paul Hackett and said he had a surprise for me after we kind of watched some film and talked some ball,'' Rodgers said. "One of my childhood, favorite players, being a huge 49ers fan growing up, Jerry Rice comes walking down the steps and I get to throw passes to him.

"Think about a 21-year-old kid throwing to one of your idols, how nervous you think you would be, I was that and then some. I overthrew him a couple times, but it was exciting to be able to throw to him and to work with Jon and Paul, great coaches, who had been around the game a long time.''

The rest, as they say, is history. Two days after telephoning Rodgers, the Bucs used the No. 5 overall pick to take Auburn running back Cadillac Williams, who became the NFL's Rookie of the Year before two knee injuries sabotaged his career. (Smith went No. 1 overall to the 49ers). Rodgers was selected by the Packers, sat four years behind Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre, won a Super Bowl last season and has his team off to a 9-0 start heading into Sunday's game against the Bucs at Lambeau Field.

"I don't fault them for taking Cadillac, he had an incredible college career and a great rookie season,'' Rodgers said. "He was slowed down by some injuries. But I don't blame them at all or don't hold any animosity toward Jon and Bruce or the organization. Everything kind of happens for a reason. Looking back on when they came out and visited me in Berkeley, that was one of my top moments in my sports career, being able to throw to Jerry Rice.''

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#1 : November 16, 2011, 09:07:07 PM

Well and based on what we know Gruden told everyone but you and me that they would be the guy he picked.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#2 : November 16, 2011, 09:11:14 PM

It will be talked about every time we play the pack. Had to be crushing though. He had to be sure he was a buc after they pulled out jerry rice for him.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#3 : November 16, 2011, 09:32:04 PM

It will be talked about every time we play the pack. Had to be crushing though. He had to be sure he was a buc after they pulled out jerry rice for him.

I'm still crushed!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : November 16, 2011, 09:51:15 PM

I was not a fan of the pick back then, and still believe its not wise to take a RB so high in the draft.  As we all know, many of the better RBs were late round picks or even undrafted guys.  Even if you hit on a guy early on, the shelf life of a good RB is not that long.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#5 : November 16, 2011, 09:57:01 PM

Well our team then had zero talent at RB besides an aging Pittman. I agree its not a good thing to pick RBs early and that Rodgers should have been the pick but from the Bucs stand point, they had the choice of these RBs who were at the top of the class. If we would have drafted Rodgers though, a couple of years from then we would have been in position to grab Adrian Peterson for Rodgers RB. That has me SMH the most.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#6 : November 16, 2011, 09:57:47 PM

I couldn't even watch the game on Monday, listening to him slobber all over Rodgers made me ill.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#7 : November 16, 2011, 09:57:59 PM

Let the Pack have him. We will find our own QB soon enough, if we dont already have one in the long run in Free.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#8 : November 16, 2011, 10:01:14 PM

I couldn't even watch the game on Monday, listening to him slobber all over Rodgers made me ill.

LOL

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

buchead

Hall of Famer

#9 : November 16, 2011, 10:38:47 PM

Very true. Even though I would never personally be in that position, I would never draft a RB that high. Look at the 3 backs that went in that top 5. Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, and Caddy. All are pretty much on their last leg, at the very least their best days are behind them. While Aaron freakin Rodgers is just getting started.
: November 16, 2011, 10:41:54 PM buchead

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#10 : November 16, 2011, 10:40:31 PM

Since when do teams that high in need of a franchise QB, pass on a QB? Especially one you show interest in, just boggles my mind.

You can't do jack **CENSORED** in this league without a QB.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#11 : November 16, 2011, 10:47:03 PM

Very true. Even though I would never personally be in that position, I would never draft a RB that high. Look at the 3 backs that went in that top 5. Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, and Caddy. All are pretty much on their last leg, at the very least their best days are behind them. While Aaron freakin Rodgers is just getting started.

Very true. He does seem like a young guy, I forget he sat behind #4 for a few years.  I was reading something today about a QB with Oklahoma State that is older than Aaron Rodgers.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

Hate

Hall of Famer
#12 : November 16, 2011, 10:51:16 PM

Taking a RB high wasn't the issue..... taking a RB that high that wasn't even the best RB on his team is where i had a problem. Made no sense!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#13 : November 16, 2011, 10:53:03 PM

He would have failed in Gruden's system anyway. He would have been the equivalent of Ryan Leaf unless some other team picked him up after Gruden ruined him. Makes no difference at all if you ask me.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#14 : November 16, 2011, 10:55:43 PM

I don't believe that. I think good QB's have "it", and will excel no matter what their situation is. Rodgers is the best in the game, he's no system QB, he makes his WR's good. They play in a system set by Rodgers himself!

That kind of talent would have showed on any team.

Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rodgers told by Bucs days before 2005 draft he would be the 5th overall pick « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools