Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Morris blames the schedule « previous next »
Page: 1 2

YReceiver14

Starter

« : November 17, 2011, 05:04:56 PM »

[Ouch.  The schedule can explain a win-loss record, but not awful play and not being remotely competitive.]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/17/morris-on-bucs-woes-look-to-the-schedule/

Raheem Morris was asked this week why the Bucs have been struggling.

His surprisingly honest answer: The schedule.

“We played a couple of tougher teams,” Morris told Green Bay reporters Wednesday via Pete Doughtery of the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

On one hand, this sounds like excuse making for a coach facing some heat. On the other hand, it’s true.

“The games that we have lost were to the Houston Texans, who are in first or second place in their division. We also lost to the Chicago Bears, who are second in their division. We lost to the New Orleans Saints, which lead our division, and we’ve played some tougher teams. We played the Detroit Lions who are second and third in their division and are off and rolling. We’ve played some really tough teams,” Morris said.

Grantland.com argues that the last six game stretch of Tampa’s season was historically tough. We’d argue that the way the Bucs lost some of these games (48-3 to San Francisco, 37-9 to Houston) indicates they are a mediocre team.

Then again, they were probably a mediocre team last year when they loaded up against a soft schedule. That’s essentially what Morris is saying.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #1 : November 17, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

I dont find it an acceptable answer but I doubt it went down like this:

Why are the Bucs struggling this year?

The schedules harder.

PFT stirring the pot??

bucfan33

Pro Bowler
« #2 : November 17, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »

Sorry Rah, didn't buy the "easy" schedule story last year- won't but the "tough" schedule excuse this year. Played Hard, Fast, Consistent, Smart last year -won. Playing Soft, Slow, inconsistent and Dumb this year-Losing. The Core Beliefs.

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #3 : November 17, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »

Sorry Rah, didn't buy the "easy" schedule story last year- won't but the "tough" schedule excuse this year. Played Hard, Fast, Consistent, Smart last year -won. Playing Soft, Slow, inconsistent and Dumb this year-Losing. The Core Beliefs.

1-5 versus winning teams, 9-1 versus losing teams in 2010.
2-5 versus winning teams, 2-0 versus losing teams in 2011.

When you line the stats up like that, 2010 doesn't look much different from 2011.

Madman

Hall of Famer
« #4 : November 17, 2011, 05:41:02 PM »

Bucs aren't losing to good teams... they are getting KILLED by good teams.

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

« #5 : November 17, 2011, 05:42:49 PM »

Might as well blame the bossa nova.  I wonder if Rah "gets" it right now.

BucsWin31

Starter

« #6 : November 17, 2011, 05:45:09 PM »

More excuses....get this guy outta here. I want a real coach

Madman

Hall of Famer
« #7 : November 17, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »

Reminds me of how Gruden used to frame up his excuses...

I'm not gonna say injuries were a factor... but when you lose two offensive lineman... it's gonna impact the game.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #8 : November 17, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »

When you line the stats up like that, 2010 doesn't look much different from 2011.
2010: -57 point differential versus winning teams (6 games)
2011: -88 point differential versus winning teams (7 games)

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Madman

Hall of Famer
« #9 : November 17, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »

-88 point differential? Ouch. I knew it was bad but damn. Take out Bucs garbage time stats and it's like -200. :)

Blaze688

Hall of Famer

« #10 : November 17, 2011, 06:12:30 PM »

Last season, the average Bucs game versus winning teams was a 26-16 loss.
This season, the average Bucs game versus a winning team is a 28-15 loss.

It's startling how similar the numbers are.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #11 : November 17, 2011, 06:26:38 PM »

Last season, the average Bucs game versus winning teams was a 26-16 loss.
This season, the average Bucs game versus a winning team is a 28-15 loss.

It's startling how similar the numbers are.
Last season average margin of victory over a winning team: 10 points
Last season average margin of defeat by a winning team: 13.4 points

This season average margin of victory over a winning team: 4.5 points
This season average margin of defeat by a winning team: 19.4 points

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
« #12 : November 17, 2011, 06:54:43 PM »

Morris says "Stats are for losers"

I say "Excuses are for losers"

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer

« #13 : November 17, 2011, 06:55:28 PM »

Can we fire him already and get a real coach?

JohnGruden

Starter

« #14 : November 17, 2011, 07:02:15 PM »

Can we fire him already and get a real coach?

Geez give Rah a break.

I choose to let him finish out the season before any judgement. If i were to blame anyone it would be Olsen.

Rah doesnt really have any talent on D to work with and on the other side of the ball Olsen has tons of talent that he fails to utilize week in and week out. This offense was supposed to be the bright spot of this team, what do you expect outta the D when the O goes three and out every time or throws a interception.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Morris blames the schedule « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools