Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers not doing much to be more likeable « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 4 5 6

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#75 : November 26, 2011, 08:05:37 AM

remember Robb Thomas Java?

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

#76 : November 26, 2011, 10:05:34 AM

I recall going to the last game of the season and it was absolutely miserable to witness. I remember Dilfer threw an interception to a Lion up lineman who proceeded to lumber down the field toward the endzone where my family was sitting. Dilfer couldn't even tackle the guy. I think he had about 4 times the number of interceptions than he did TD passes as a starter.  I think the Bucs had potential and started the season off so well, but lost a boatload of gamed at the end of the season - kind of similar to this year's team who started off semi-strongly, but went into a tailspin.  Not sure if it cost Wyche his job that year.
Trent Dilfer was so beyond awful it was horrible to watch him play QB.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#77 : November 26, 2011, 10:49:15 AM

Tough little SoB - he was about what 170 listed? - sort of a poor man's Sammie Strougher and that is saying something since Sammie is a poor man's Ike Hilliard at this point.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#78 : November 26, 2011, 10:51:28 AM

1997 he teased us with that campaign and I thought he might be turning it around but he never ever had the accuracy to be a real front line NFL QB.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#79 : November 26, 2011, 10:57:45 AM

Tough little SoB - he was about what 170 listed? - sort of a poor man's Sammie Strougher and that is saying something since Sammie is a poor man's Ike Hilliard at this point.
his 33 catches in 96 is more than Sammie has ever caught in one year.  I'd say they are  equals.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#80 : November 26, 2011, 12:32:24 PM

He was the Bucs Ricky Proehl.   Remember that game where Harper was hurt and Thomas stepped in and had 2 receiving TD's?    That's the kind of player this team needs.   Heady and always gives 100%.     

JohnBuc06

Starter

#81 : November 26, 2011, 01:46:36 PM

1997 he teased us with that campaign and I thought he might be turning it around but he never ever had the accuracy to be a real front line NFL QB.

I don't think Dilfer was ever as bad as people remember.  Under Dungy they had the right mind set for him ...let him be a caretaker of the Offense, strong running game and hit a few big plays here and there (much like he did in Baltimore), the problem was the Bucs didn't really have the personnel to run that offense.  They needed WR's that were big and strong and move the chains but the FO kept drafting/signing smurfs who were fast but couldn't beat press coverage.  Plus an OC we had at that time (outside of Steckel) really didn't have a clue.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#82 : November 26, 2011, 04:07:27 PM

4 TDs, 18 INTS in 1995 is pretty bad, even by rookie standards

MBF

Hall of Famer

#83 : November 26, 2011, 05:03:11 PM

Why did he put Tanard in with Talib and Hayneworth? Having a drug problem doesn't make you a bad person.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#84 : November 26, 2011, 05:12:35 PM

1995 which was Dilfer's first year as a full time starter and his worst year.

Other than Dilfer here were some players on that team

Paul Gruber
Lawrence Dawsey
Tony Mayberry
Jackie Harris
Errict Rhett
Dave Moore
Horace Copeland
Courtney Hawkins
Brad Culpepper
Chidi Ahanatu
Warren Sapp
Hardy Nickerson
Derrick Brooks
John Lynch
Martin Mayhew
Curtis Buckley
Santana Dotson

You can't tell me that team didn't have more players that were more likeable than the current team has.

"5 dash 2" :D

Lets throw Sam in there. We didn't even know at the time that he had helped draft a championship and I liked him anyway.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#85 : November 26, 2011, 09:52:55 PM

Sam was very likeable if you ask me.   I was sad to see him go.   He was in the right place at the wrong time.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#86 : November 27, 2011, 01:49:23 AM

I think Bucs fans in general aren't in a position to like their players as much as in 1995. On one hand, we can retrospectively say we liked guys then for things they accomplished LATER and over the entire course of their careers. Then you win a title and everything changes. Now, nine years from our last playoff win, we're feisty, irritated, a divided fanbase, wondering if this PLAN will lead to anything other than more waiting.
So many of us are taking a glass-is-half-empty approach. It's obvious Java doesn't want any of our current guys, wants our whole regime canned, regrets Gruden being gone, etc. He may have SOME valid points, but the whole grass-is-always-greener mentality is so 2011. We didn't think that way in 1995. We thought about ''wouldn't it be nice to win EIGHT games one day.'' The Bucs weren't microanalyzed by the local media in this way. There was nothing to tear down.

In Verner We Trust

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#87 : November 27, 2011, 05:59:43 AM

You must have been a lot different from me back in 1995.   I predicted and expected the team to compete for a Superbowl every year back then.   This current team I predicted 6-10 prior to the season.    But I never predicted a crappy record like that ever for the Bucs prior to the arrival of Heemy.

Page: 1 ... 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Buccaneers not doing much to be more likeable « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools