Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Morris Post Game « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#135 : December 05, 2011, 06:18:43 PM

Right now, MD's plan is uncharted territory from my view.

they grabbed what they thought is a franchise QB right off the bat.  then they surrounded him by highly drafted or productive veteran OL.  they got him a security blanket TE.  then they went to drafting defense, starting from the line out.  seems pretty straightforward.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer

#136 : December 05, 2011, 06:20:07 PM

+1

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#137 : December 05, 2011, 06:21:15 PM

they grabbed what they thought is a franchise QB right off the bat.  then they surrounded him by highly drafted or productive veteran OL.  they got him a security blanket TE.  then they went to drafting defense, starting from the line out.  seems pretty straightforward.

All true.    The weak link is the coaching.  I believe they have some pieces in place, but need a few more and a different HC.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#138 : December 05, 2011, 06:25:48 PM

All true.    The weak link is the coaching.  I believe they have some pieces in place, but need a few more and a different HC.

Wow, so you insult me for 3 years and call me an idiot for saying that exact same thing all along and now you are saying it.   

It's nice you finally came to your senses, but I think that is the definition of hypocrite.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#139 : December 05, 2011, 06:27:36 PM

Wow, so you insult me for 3 years and call me an idiot for saying that exact same thing all along and now you are saying it.   

It's nice you finally came to your senses, but I think that is the definition of hypocrite.

Link?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#140 : December 05, 2011, 07:03:51 PM

They got a franchise QB. Cool. Who's he supposed to throw the ball to? You can only target your security blanket TE so many times. Our best WR is a 2nd year player who was drafted in the 4th round a year ago. He's the only one of the top 4 WR's on the roster who's logged a full season under his belt. Our best RB is lackluster in the passing game, both at blocking and catching the ball. Yup, that's a recipe for success. Everybody should copy that blueprint.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#141 : December 05, 2011, 07:06:23 PM

They got a franchise QB. Cool. Who's he supposed to throw the ball to? You can only target your security blanket TE so many times. Our best WR is a 4nd year player who was drafted in the 4th round a year ago. He's the only one of the top 4 WR's on the roster who's logged a full season under his belt. Yup, that's a recipe for success. Everybody should copy that blueprint.

entire rosters dont appear overnight.  mike williams, arrelious benn, dez briscoe arent bad options.  young, sure.  but definitely talented.  and stroughter/spurlock could be used as well.

but whose team's blueprint would you emulate? 

: December 05, 2011, 07:08:38 PM GameTime

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#142 : December 05, 2011, 07:29:45 PM

They got a franchise QB. Cool. Who's he supposed to throw the ball to? You can only target your security blanket TE so many times. Our best WR is a 4nd year player who was drafted in the 4th round a year ago. He's the only one of the top 4 WR's on the roster who's logged a full season under his belt. Yup, that's a recipe for success. Everybody should copy that blueprint.

entire rosters dont appear overnight.  mike williams, arrelious benn, dez briscoe arent bad options.  young, sure.  but definitely talented.  and stroughter/spurlock could be used as well.

Exactly my point. They don't appear overnight. Our WR's are talented, but it normally takes a WR three years to fully develop his pro game. That becomes even more the case with WR's taken outside of the 1st round. Which is why when you have as many holes as we do, "stopgap" should not be a forbidden word. You only have so many quality draft picks. We've chosen to use the majority of those to upgrade the d-line, which was sorely needed, but there are holes all over this team, and simply saying, "we drafted a franchise QB and put a veteran line in front of him, traded for a TE, and drafted some d-lineman, so therefor we should be winning more games" completely ignores the fact that we basically had to reboot the ENTIRE roster after Gruden was let go, and that process is far from complete.

The Lions.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#143 : December 05, 2011, 07:44:44 PM

The Lions.

Gotta lose a lot of games for a lot of years to do that.

Not just their draft picks, morgan. Their approach. The didn't just draft Suh, they signed Vanden Bosch and Corey Williams to play with him. They had Calvin Johnson and no one else for Stafford to throw to, so they drafted Brandon Pettigrew and signed Nate Burleson. They had holes at LB and CB from a year ago and addressed other positions in the draft, so they signed Justin Durant, Stephen Tulloch, and Eric Wright. They still have holes, but far fewer than they would had they relied solely on the draft, and they are in a position to win right now, while we are still waiting for next year.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#144 : December 05, 2011, 07:58:30 PM

the Lions are in at least year 5 of their current rebuilding plan and still look to miss the playoffs again...

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#145 : December 05, 2011, 08:02:18 PM

I wish I could find Dominik and Bryan Glazers' different interviews this past summer on the rebuilding plan - the free agent pieces will come in time when necessary. This season was all about player development from what I understood.  If the Bucs made the playoffs, that would be cake - much ahead of schedule.  My biggest concern is the lack of competitive in the team right now and Freeman's regression from last season.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#146 : December 05, 2011, 08:06:13 PM

the Lions are in at least year 5 of their current rebuilding plan and still look to miss the playoffs again...

No they aren't. Martin Mayhew was hired as GM in December of 2008. His first full offseason as GM was 2009. Same year as Mark Dominick.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#147 : December 05, 2011, 08:18:55 PM

well, that calvin johnson was a nice gift then, not to mention avril.  much better than anything our regime started with.

but yes, the lions have seemed to do well lately. 
: December 05, 2011, 08:25:36 PM GameTime

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#148 : December 05, 2011, 10:36:50 PM

No. Martin Mayhew is in year three, just like Dom. They both became GM's within three weeks of each other.

Martin Mayhew knows what he is doing. He is signing FA's to fill in his holes on the roster and then drafting BPA. He is not drafting players to fill in roster spots. And he is not re-signing bad players to huge contracts.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Morris Post Game « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools