Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WalterFootball finally moves off the Dennard pick (12/8 update) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 08, 2011, 12:02:00 AM

December 8. 2011
http://walterfootball.com/draft2012.php

1....Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

The Colts pretty much have the first selection in the 2012 NFL Draft locked up. Andrew Luck will be the pick, but they're either going to have to trade him or dump Peyton Manning. Archie Manning told the media that his son won't want to play with Luck, but that's not even the major point. It's that Manning is owed a $28 million bonus prior to next season, so it won't be financially feasible to have both quarterbacks. They can't even deal Manning without taking a major cap hit.

For this reason, I think the Colts will cut Manning and go with Luck, much like the Packers did a few years ago when they transitioned from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers.

It'll be weird to see Manning in a different jersey, but you could have said the same thing about Favre and Joe Montana. It happens. Oh, and like Montana, I think Manning could sign with the Chiefs. There were rumors this past offseason that Kansas City wanted to trade for Manning. The Chiefs have the defense and running game (Jamaal Charles will be back) to win now. All they need is a quarterback.

2.... Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC 

This really is as much of a no-brainer as Andrew Luck to the Colts. If Matt Kalil is on the board, the Vikings won't spend two minutes handing in their draft card. Of course, I won't be happy about this because I won't have enough time to write stupid things in my live draft blog.

Kalil is the best non-quarterback in this class, and Minnesota has a major need at left tackle, where the pedestrian Charlie Johnson has sucked all year. The Vikings absolutely need to make sure the promising Christian Ponder is well protected.

Pick change; previously Justin Blackmon, WR

3.... St. Louis Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State 
It's back to this pick, so I can use my awesome joke again: The Rams didn't suck enough for Luck, and they didn't fall flat enough for Matt, but they've had a lack of win for Justin. I'll be here all week.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I think Sam Bradford would be a fan of this pick.

I wrote earlier in the year that Bradford would soon be dragged off to a mental institution if he kept watching his crappy receivers drop easy passes. Well, with Justin Blackmon joining Brandon Lloyd, St. Louis would suddenly have one of the top receiving corps in the NFL.

Pick change; previously Matt Kalil, OT

4.... Jacksonville Jaguars: Matt Barkley, QB, USC
The Jaguars just drafted Blaine Gabbert No. 10 overall. The notion that they can spend another first-round pick on a quarterback is absurd, right?

I thought so too, until forum member Phatal sent this article over to me. Apparently, general manager Gene Smith, who wasn't fully in charge several years ago, wanted to draft Ben Roethlisberger a year after the Jaguars took Byron Leftwich.

The article describes Gabbert as a "sunk cost" - defined as a "past opportunity cost that is partially or totally irretrievable and, therefore, should be considered irrelevant to future decision making."

Thanks to the new CBA, Gabbert is owed just $4.772 million. If we were still under the old rules, Jacksonville would have no choice but to keep riding Gabbert because they'd have so much money dedicated to him. But that's not the case anymore.

And keep this in mind - Jacksonville has a new owner. Whereas Wayne Weaver would be pissed at Smith for giving up on Gabbert after ponying up $7.228 million in guarantees already, the mustachioed Shahid Khan might want his own quarterback. Khan won't care about the money Gabbert received already.

Pick change; previously Quinton Coples, DE

5.... Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor

Rex Grossman inexplicably improved over a 2-week period, but was back to his old self against the Jets. The Redskins would have been fools to give him another shot next year anyway. He's a nice backup, but he's not anywhere near close to being a franchise quarterback.

Matt Barkley and Robert Griffin are 2 and 2a right now behind Andrew Luck. Mike Shanahan is more traditional, so I think he's prefer the USC product. But if Barkley isn't available, Griffin will be the pick. Perhaps after watching Cam Newton dominate this year, Shanahan will be more open to giving the dynamic Griffin a shot.

Pick change; previously Matt Barkley, QB

6.... Philadelphia Eagles: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU 
Back in August, I never would have imagined mocking a cornerback to the Eagles in the top 10 of the 2012 NFL Draft. It's amazing how much can change in four months.

Asante Samuel won't be back next year. He's due $8.4 million and has made public comments against Andy Reid. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie will be entering his contract year, but he really, really sucks. The Eagles will need a new starter across from the disappointing Nnamdi Asomugha, unless they want to keep relying on DRC (Doesn't Really Care).

At any rate, Morris Claiborne is the best player available not named Trent Richardson, so he definitely makes sense.

Pick change; previously Alshon Jeffery, WR

7.... Carolina Panthers: Alshon Jeffery, WR, South Carolina
The Panthers could have chosen A.J. Green with the No. 1 overall selection in the 2011 NFL Draft. Since they didn't, they'll definitely consider Alshon Jeffery if the 2012 NFL Draft falls this way.

Steve Smith will turn 33 a month after the 2012 NFL Draft, and he'll be owed $7.75 million the following season. He's lived up to that money with a rebound campaign, but he could drop off at any point once he loses his speed. Besides, Cam Newton needs someone else to throw to besides Smith.

Pick change; previously Morris Claiborne, CB

8.... Miami Dolphins: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa 
This is the first time I haven't mocked a quarterback to the Dolphins since Sept. 22. Matt Moore has been good enough to win Miami out of the Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley and Robert Griffin sweepstakes. And Landry Jones is not good enough to warrant trying over Moore.

Instead of a quarterback, here's a much-needed upgrade for the offensive line. Marc Colombo stinks. He can't block anyone. Upgrading the right tackle position has to be Miami's No. 1 priority.

Pick change; previously Robert Griffin, QB

9.... Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama 

It's becoming pretty apparent that Peyton Hillis will not be back with the Browns next year. Montario Hardesty, meanwhile, cannot stay healthy. Cleveland needs a new running back so it doesn't have to start anyone named Chris Ogbonnaya in 2012.

Why not Trent Richardson? He's easily the best player available, and his pass-catching ability makes him a great fit in Cleveland's West Coast offense. Colt McCoy needs play-makers, and Richardson certainly qualifies as one.

10..... Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College 

Tampa Bay's linebacking corps is an abomination. Rookie Mason Foster has struggled ever since losing Gerald McCoy, while Quincy Black has been putrid all year.

Luke Kuechly is the top available player who makes sense for the Buccaneers. It would be a two-for-one upgrade for Tampa; Kuechly would provide a much better option in the middle, allowing Foster to move outside and take over for Black.

Pick change; previously Alfonzo Dennard, CB

LUGZ

Rookie

#1 : December 08, 2011, 12:05:43 AM

Yeah, I was getting tired of seeing Dennard's name next to us. Has us taking Banks in the 2nd, Brewester in the 3rd.

Decent draft if this went down. Just hope Kuechly doesn't turn into Ruud 2.0.

BuccaneersMagic1282

Starter

#2 : December 08, 2011, 12:06:04 AM

We're going to be picking higher than 10 more than likely. I'm hoping we get Claiborne.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 08, 2011, 12:24:58 AM

Ya I was sick of seeing Dennard there.   I like Kuechly much better at 10.

Blackmon all the way up to #3 ?    Wow.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 08, 2011, 12:42:33 AM

It's not so much the number as the realistic need. Rams need Oline help, but really really need WR help. That's why I'm not going to get my hopes up too much on Blackmon.

In Verner We Trust

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#5 : December 08, 2011, 12:56:02 AM

The Eagles, Dolphins and Panthers will all have more wins than the Bucs. Kuechly is going to **CENSORED**ing suck in the NFL. He's too thin and soft to be an NFL linebacker. That pick would set this franchise back even more than it already is if that ended up being the pick. I think it's very possible that either Alshon Jefferey or Trent Richardson will be there. I strongly believe that atleast one of them will be.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 08, 2011, 01:13:45 AM

We haven't talked about Jeffrey much today or the last few days. I'm certainly open to picking him should we slide down a bit. But top five or six if Blackmon is gone? You think he's really THAT good, Blount Train?

In Verner We Trust

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#7 : December 08, 2011, 01:22:18 AM

If he can stay in shape, yes. His body type just looks like it could get fat really easily. But if he stays in shape he's going to be an elite NFL receiver.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#8 : December 08, 2011, 01:34:38 AM

Just broke his hand. Hasn't had an 100-yard receiving game all year. Victimized by zones and a new QB. Sounds like a guy who could fall.

In Verner We Trust

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#9 : December 08, 2011, 01:34:48 AM

Alshon is a pretty big dude, bigger than Blackmon, but I kinda like the way Blackmon fights for the ball.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 08, 2011, 01:41:14 AM

Kirkpatrick seemed to have some trouble with him.

In Verner We Trust

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#11 : December 08, 2011, 01:46:33 AM

no way not Luke Kuechly! he's so overrated because of his stats. Both Teo and Burfict are way better options.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#12 : December 08, 2011, 01:49:11 AM

Ashlon looks like a TE.   Same size as K2.

Ashlon.......6-4     233

K2..............6-4     240

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 08, 2011, 02:00:42 AM

Burfict should be the pick if we are at 10. The only guy I'd take before Burict is Claiborne. If Burfict is off the board go Te'O

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#14 : December 08, 2011, 02:02:18 AM

A little of Kuechly.   2011 profile of Boston College Linebacker Luke Kuechly, aka Clark Kent. As a sophomore, Luke led the nation in tackles (183) and solo stops (110).

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
Page: 1 2 3 ... 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WalterFootball finally moves off the Dennard pick (12/8 update) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools