Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WalterFootball finally moves off the Dennard pick (12/8 update) « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#60 : December 11, 2011, 06:06:01 PM

Ugh.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#61 : December 11, 2011, 06:06:46 PM

Looks like CC refound his Dennard boner

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012charlie.php

Updated 12/11
10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska   
If the draft played out like this, the Buccaneers would be in a tough situation and should probably trade down. They've missed out on Kuechly, Richardson, Claiborne and Blackmon. They could go with a wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, but they already have receivers with size who aren't very fast. Tampa Bay's cornerback position is in dire straits. 2012 is contract year Aqib Talib who is also going to trial in March. Ronde Barber could retire after this season. Myron Lewis, a 2010 third-rounder, has been a bust to this point. Third-year pro E.J. Biggers should be a nickel or dime corner. While taking Dennard here is a little bit of reach, general manager Mark Dominik has gone for need with all of his first-rounders.

Sources with the Buccaneers have told WalterFootball.com that the team already has taken a liking to Dennard. He impressed them while they were studying Prince Amukamara for the 2010 NFL Draft. With the uncertainty at the cornerback position, picking Dennard could make a lot of sense for Tampa Bay. Between Aqib Talib (Kansas), Josh Freeman (Kansas State), Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma) and Adrian Clayborn (Iowa), the team has a preference to draft players from this part of the country and players scouted by that regional scout, Seth Turner.

This season, Dennard was excellent and proved that he is a phenomenal cover corner. Dennard had tight coverage all year and teams have avoided throwing at him, thereby leaving him with only 27 tackles and six passes broken up. He had an excellent performance against Michigan State, shutting out wide receiver B.J. Cunningham and breaking up a bunch of passes downfield. Dennard had a similar game at Penn State. In the regular season finale, he held Iowa standout receiver Marvin McNutt to four catches for 29 yards. In bump-and-run and off coverage, Dennard blanketed McNutt and did not let him get separation. It was an impressive performance from the senior corner with three tackles and a pass breakup.

Last year, Dennard (5-10, 205) recorded 30 tackles with four interceptions, seven passes broken up and one forced fumble. He benefited from being targeted and tested as teams stayed away from Amukamara.

Pick change; previously Luke Kuechly, LB

It makes sense IF all those dudes are gone already.  But I don't see it.  If the Bucs lose out they will be 6-8 pick maybe?  So you figure in the QB prospects and no way are all those guys gone that early.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#62 : December 11, 2011, 06:09:49 PM

id take martin over dennard.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#63 : December 11, 2011, 06:10:03 PM

Has us Passing on Kirkpatrick, and Martin

leeroybuc93

Hall of Famer
#64 : December 11, 2011, 07:17:17 PM

I want Burfict on the team.  Maybe not in the top 10 but he's just a guy I think our defense could really use.  I don't mind some personal fouls if it comes from knocking someone the f@$ out. 

BucD

Hall of Famer

#65 : December 11, 2011, 11:04:16 PM

@bhardin2:
The reports are true, #NotreDame junior linebacker Manti Te'o will not be entering the 2012 NFL Draft and will remain at #NotreDame.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#66 : December 11, 2011, 11:07:16 PM

That's terrible news for us.

In Verner We Trust

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#67 : December 11, 2011, 11:16:13 PM

That's terrible news for us.

I saw him getting mocked in the 2nd round on some respected mock draft sites. I bet he was advised to stay in school after getting poor draft grades.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#68 : December 12, 2011, 01:57:16 AM

Dennard is listed under 5-10. Too small to go in the first round IMHO. I think it's Kalil, Claiborne or Blackmon if we're at 4. Drop much more than that and it gets to be tough. Kirkpatrick has the size, but isn't rated a 1 in ANY of the espn.com categories and is considered only average for instincts and recognition, plus average for ball skills. Did we really watch this lousy football team to draft a guy first like that?

In Verner We Trust
Page: 1 ... 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: WalterFootball finally moves off the Dennard pick (12/8 update) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools