Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Source: Dom wanted to cut Talib « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« : December 13, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »

Huge mistake by Raheem, could have really helped set a tone of accountability

http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/nfl/football?rw=1

Aqib Talib - DB - Buccaneers
According to a team source, Bucs GM Mark Dominik wanted to release CB Aqib Talib after his involvement in a March shooting, but was talked out of it by coach Raheem Morris.
The wide expectation in the local media after the incident was that Talib would be released, but Morris strongly defended his player from the beginning. It appears he was able to sway his boss' opinion on the matter. The Bucs have been criticized for a lack of discipline this season, but Talib's behavior hasn't been an issue.
Source: Yahoo Sports Dec 13 - 9:35 PM

YReceiver14

Starter

« #1 : December 13, 2011, 10:08:13 PM »

Here's the whole article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_direct_snap_raheem_morris_buccaneers_hot_seat_120611

Excerpt:

This offseason, Morris became too much of the first example when he spoke up for Talib. After getting arrested for the gun incident, Tampa Bay management was ready to cut ties with Talib once and for all, according to a team source. General manager Mark Dominik didn’t care about Talib’s supreme talent, the distractions were no longer worth the drama, the source said. Talib had been in at least four altercations with teammates and coaches before the gun incident and was arrested for assaulting a taxi driver in 2009.

Because of the lockout, the Bucs couldn’t follow through right away, giving Morris time to talk Dominik away from the proverbial ledge. In the process, Morris sent a message to his young team that talent trumps character.

“Wrong message,” a Bucs player said this week. “Raheem believes he can get through to anybody and he can, to an extent. Guys do listen to him. But sometimes they have to see that you’re going to back it up … [Talib] is a huge talent, but you have to know there are certain guys who are impossible to get through to.”

Or as John Wooten, the 75-year-old chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance who recently sent Morris a note after the Price incident, said this week: “It’s like Paul Brown used to say, you don’t win with thugs. Thugs eventually hurt the team.”

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 13, 2011, 10:08:18 PM »

I think it is pretty clear that Dom and Raheem do not see eye to eye on  player personnel.

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

« #3 : December 13, 2011, 10:15:56 PM »

Stuff like this, especially now, is not a good thing. 

Is the GM distancing himself from Morris?

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 13, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »

Is this retribution for not bringing back Ruud?

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #5 : December 13, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »

Ya crazy you see this now. Dom trying to save his job it seems like.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 13, 2011, 10:20:47 PM »

Go go CB in round 1 of 2012.

o.O

MiltonMack21

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer

« #7 : December 13, 2011, 10:20:59 PM »

The "Source" is Dominik.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 13, 2011, 10:25:25 PM »

Here's the whole article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_direct_snap_raheem_morris_buccaneers_hot_seat_120611

LOL they have a picture of Aaron Rodgers in a story about Eli Manning

LUGZ

Rookie

« #9 : December 13, 2011, 10:35:24 PM »

Well, this may be a good indication that Dominik will try to part ways with Raheem. If he didn't, why would this information be brought to light?

Just gotta get through these last 3 weeks so I can start to get excited about Buc ball once again.

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

« #10 : December 13, 2011, 10:50:32 PM »

DB love, baby. This article leads me to another question...why the hell did we re-sign T-Jack to a new deal? Did Morris "talk" Dominik into that one as well?

At some point, as the GM, Dominik needs to take responsibility and lead this team in the right direction. What is the message being sent right now?
If you're a DB, you can smoke weed, shoot at people, and commit personal fouls you will be fine. But if you are a DT, and you record your first ever personal foul you will be sent home? This management team is extremely dysfunctional right now.

I also wonder about Raheem's role in re-signing Black. Black should have been benched long ago. Is Raheem keeping him on the field so that he can try to justify paying him all that money because he lobbied for him? I heard Raheem wanted Rudd back. THAT alone would disqualify him from any personnel decisions in my mind. Dominik needs to take control and take responsibility. Listen to your coach, Dominik, but listen to your gut as well. You will never build a winner with a team full of thugs and you can't send the message to your team by allowing some players to get away with things that others are punished for. That is the definition of dysfunction.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

awitron

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 13, 2011, 10:53:30 PM »

Entirely obvious as soon as Raheem said he took full responsibility for Talib after the Chicago game.

These are my concerns about Schiano. He thinks hes the **CENSORED**, when really he is someone who couldn\'t win the Big East once in 10 years.

I said it before and I\'ll say it again, Josh Freeman is the only thing that can save this franchise from this dude. If he doesn\'t adjust his style AND Freeman cant win enough, we\'re going to be wondering who the next coach is going to be in 2 years.

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
« #12 : December 13, 2011, 11:30:33 PM »

Entirely obvious as soon as Raheem said he took full responsibility for Talib after the Chicago game.

Bingo!

bucfan26

Pro Bowler
« #13 : December 13, 2011, 11:49:53 PM »

Definitely. I can't see any other reason why this would come up now. I have to believe Dominik will fire him to save his own job and based on how bad Morris is as a HC that won't be too hard.

Samari28

Hall of Famer
« #14 : December 14, 2011, 12:46:12 AM »

Yeah but its not like Dom is going to hire a big time coach as that would be the nail in his coffin as well.  Be careful what you wish for as is this really ALL on Morris?  You have to put some on ownership, the players, Dominik, Morris, Olson (OK a lot on Olson) and again the players.
  Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Source: Dom wanted to cut Talib « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools