Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zach Brown « previous next »
Page: 1 2

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« : December 14, 2011, 04:25:03 PM »

Patrick Willis is a name brought up often as being the most ideal LB for this team and with good reason but at the time of the 2007 draft he wasn't seen as a top 4 type of talent and we probably didn't consider him all that much.  Well in retrospect that was a big mistake.  Now the only LB in this class that has his kind of athleticism is UNC's Zach Brown.  Brown is probably even more athletic.  But is he anywhere close to being the player Willis was at Mississippi?  Could he be a guy we all look back on and say we should've drafted that guy?

TSKAD72

Starter
« #1 : December 14, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »

Patrick Willis is a name brought up often as being the most ideal LB for this team and with good reason but at the time of the 2007 draft he wasn't seen as a top 4 type of talent and we probably didn't consider him all that much.  Well in retrospect that was a big mistake.  Now the only LB in this class that has his kind of athleticism is UNC's Zach Brown.  Brown is probably even more athletic.  But is he anywhere close to being the player Willis was at Mississippi?  Could he be a guy we all look back on and say we should've drafted that guy?

As prospects, they're not even in the same class. Willis may have fallen to 11 but he was widely viewed as the best linebacker prospect in a while. He had the elite athleticism that Brown has, but Willis also has everything else. He has the intangibles. He has the strength. He has the football IQ. He has the fearlessness you need in a linebacker. He's a leader. I'm not saying Brown doesn't have any of those things, but to compare the two is an extreme injustice to Willis. Also, Willis was a middle linebacker, which is much harder to find. Brown is an outside linebacker...so no, IMO he will be a good player in the NFL but we won't be kicking ourselves for years for passing him up.

EDIT: If you doubt anything I have said, view Willis' college tape and then view Brown's tape. You should notice the massive difference in the first 20 seconds.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #2 : December 14, 2011, 04:40:45 PM »

I have no idea what kind of pro Brown will be, but Willis was a GREAT GREAT GREAT college player. As good a player for college accomplishments and pro potential as we've seen the last 10 years. He was a two time all-America and Butkus winner. I don't think Brown is in that neighborhood.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #3 : December 14, 2011, 04:42:14 PM »

thanks for the response.  I was just asking the question.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 14, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »

Willis was a finished product. Brown on the other hand is JUST getting to his potential. They are on the same scale in terms of athletic ability but Willis is definitely stronger and bigger. Brown should stay because his instincts are still a ? for me.

UMiamiBucFan

Starter

« #5 : December 14, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »

Zach Brown may run a 4.2 40, but his lack of football instincts make it an effective 4.7 40 time. He is a Quincy Black clone. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 14, 2011, 05:35:22 PM »

Zach Brown may run a 4.2 40, but his lack of football instincts make it an effective 4.7 40 time. He is a Quincy Black clone. Avoid, avoid, avoid.

Bucs need assignment sound LB's frankly.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #7 : December 14, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »

We need a veteran that is sound. I like the Tulloch idea and move Foster to WLB. Take Tulloch off the field on passing situations.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
« #8 : December 14, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »

id certainly be down for a foster-tulloch-(hayward/watson) combo.  but id also be intrigued by a foster-hightower-(hayward/watson).

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

TSKAD72

Starter
« #9 : December 14, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »

With my earlier post on him not being close to Willis being said, if Zach Brown is available in the 2nd round I think we have to take him. Odds are we won't take a linebacker with our (likely) top 6 pick. If he falls out of the first (which I seriously doubt considering workout warriors like Brown tend to rise throughout the draft process between February-April) and he's there at the top of the 2nd it would be a steal. With his speed/size combo (with his frame I bet he could add around 15 pounds) he could be a very good Will in a 4-3.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #10 : December 21, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Prospect-of-the-day-UNC-LB-Zach-Brown.html

The Breakdown…

Brown can really run in pursuit.
OLB Zach Brown: No. 47 (6-2, 230)
A compact, athletically built linebacker with a strong looking frame who possesses an impressive initial burst to his game when asked to close on the football. Looks natural in space, is quick to re-direct and possesses the closing speed to consistently make plays off his frame. For the most part takes good angles in pursuit vs. the run game and breakdowns well when running the alley. He generates good natural power into contact, plays low, exhibits a snap through the hips and will run his legs and wrap on contact. He will run himself out of plays at times in space, at times plays a bit out of control, but for the most part is a solid tackler. Exhibits better instincts and read-and-react skills than given credit for. He does a nice job of quickly locating the football, doesn’t bite on a ton of play fakes and is quick to diagnose the play. At times he will seal himself away from the action inside the box, but for the most part I was impressed with his natural feel of the game. He needs to do a better job using his hands and extending his arms in order to take on blocks inside, but he looks natural and sudden running around blocks and keeping himself clean. However, he too often leads with his shoulder at the point of attack and, despite his natural power as a strong kid, doesn’t shed blocks well inside and can be easily sealed from the action.

Looks natural in coverage. He’s quick footed, fluid in the hips and is consistently able to re-direct and explode out of his breaks. At times gets a bit overextended with hips working in his drop but he collects himself quickly, displays natural balance and exhibits the closing speed to still make plays on the football. He looks natural in zone coverage, keeps his head on a swivel and covers a lot of ground in space. Gets a bit impatient in man coverage, he likes to be physical, and will lose balance into contact trying to create a bump for himself when asked to re-direct. Also, is a bit slow to locate the throw when asked to turn and run vertically. However, he possesses the balance and fluidity that makes him tough to separate from and even if he does give up a step, possesses the second gear to quickly close. Displays the athleticism to hold his own in space in the NFL over the slot and in man coverage vs. NFL caliber running backs.

Impression: A run and hit guy with impressive athleticism and range. Possesses solid instincts and is a better read-and-react linebacker than given credit for, but still not elite in that area. Nevertheless, looks like a starting caliber 43 weak side guy who would be ideal in a cover two scheme.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 21, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »

If somehow someway he managed to fall to the beginning of round 2, I'd be ecstatic.

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
« #12 : December 21, 2011, 03:49:48 PM »

Not sure Brown makes it out of Round 1, Lavonte David more likely in rd2 as your Will, move Foster back to Sam and bring in Tulloch.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #13 : December 21, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »

Patrick Willis is a name brought up often as being the most ideal LB for this team and with good reason but at the time of the 2007 draft he wasn't seen as a top 4 type of talent and we probably didn't consider him all that much.

Willis was definitely considered a top selection in 2007.  I don't think Brown has that same pedigree.  Would love for him to still be available in the second round.

notabucsfan

Hall of Famer

« #14 : December 21, 2011, 05:31:43 PM »

If Brown somehow fell to us in the second round I think we definitely should take a look at him.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Zach Brown « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools