Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breer thinks Glazers will hire big-name coach « previous next »
Page: 1 2

YReceiver14

Starter

« : December 23, 2011, 10:49:35 AM »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8254ff24/article/with-barkley-now-out-of-picture-attention-turns-to-griffin?module=HP11_cp

[more speculation than anything else, but this is one of many reporters thinking along the same lines]

One prediction
Miami won't be the only team from Florida trying to make a splash coaching hire this offseason.

The Buccaneers have spent considerable time over the last five years trying to expand their market, even going to the home country of their sister franchise, Manchester United, to try to pull it off. New Jaguars owner Shahid Khan already has discussed similar maneuvering.

One way to quick-fix small-market problems is to bring in a big-city type of coach.

It worked wonders for the Glazers with Jon Gruden -- at first, anyway. It could work for both these teams now, too, in getting fans to the gate.

A word of caution, though, would be that whomever that big name is, he'd better win, because the bloom comes off the rose awfully quick in the NFL. For instance, in Washington, I think Shanahan now is employing the right approach, slow-building the operation through the draft. But people don't show up to watch kids mature, something that was pretty evident in my two trips to FedEx Field over the past month, with the place overrun with Jets and Cowboys fans. Doesn't matter that a foundation is being laid by Shanahan and Co., or that the team isn't very far off at all.

The key long-term is, and always will be, winning. That doesn't happen, and your big name will quickly be viewed as a bloated salary, and the calls for the next coach will be on their way.

Which puts you right back where you started.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

VTBucs

Second String
« #1 : December 23, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »

The ONLY way the Glazers could even possibly land a big HC is too open up the purse for FA's and let the HC have a big say in the team. I just don't see that happening.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
« #2 : December 23, 2011, 11:10:52 AM »

The ONLY way the Glazers could even possibly land a big HC is too open up the purse for FA's and let the HC have a big say in the team. I just don't see that happening.

I agree but one thing to remember is the Bucs HAVE to spend in 2013. Maybe Mr. Big Name could convince them to spend a little bit of that this off-season.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #3 : December 23, 2011, 11:13:32 AM »

Gotta fire the current HC first.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

« #4 : December 23, 2011, 11:23:24 AM »

January 2nd

CaptainStagger

Pro Bowler

« #5 : December 23, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »

The more I think about the situation the more depressed I get. 2012 will be a déjà vu  year of 2011, same coach, same players, same GM. Add too many rookies starting and 1-2  no name FA signing that get shoved down our throat as quality undervalued gems. Expect to hear "Rah just needs an offseason" a whole lot.

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 23, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »

January 2nd

I call your bluff mister!

If they DO sign a legitimate "name drop" type headcoach, before they do, they're going to make you stew a bit and think about the crap Rah turned out to be.

That way, when the name is dropped, everyone will crap themselves.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #7 : December 23, 2011, 11:42:56 AM »

I would be surprised honestly.

ryan24

Hall of Famer
« #8 : December 23, 2011, 11:49:00 AM »

I agree but one thing to remember is the Bucs HAVE to spend in 2013.

This is only sort of true. It's not as simple as that.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

howler09

Second String
« #9 : December 23, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »

so the big names would be ???     gruden, cowher, fisher, parcells???......we fans and pundits talk of the nfl being not for long and "windows of opportunity" ...the same is true for coaches perhaps.......would marriucci be considered a "bigger name". ?....(.side note/story...had the opportunity to sit in on  dinner conversation  between gruden and wayne fontes. right after the super bowl season  and they were harping on the fact that  nfl head coaches will always be in battle with the owners and there never will be a trusting working environment)....

Ladyfan

Hall of Famer
« #10 : December 23, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »

howler.  none of the above for reasons already discussed ad nauseum.

chace1986

Hall of Famer

« #11 : December 23, 2011, 06:03:02 PM »

January 2nd

We should attempt to get this day made into a national holiday if Raheem is canned.

Hell, brees might not be as accurate as manziel.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #12 : December 23, 2011, 06:19:39 PM »

The question is....which Florida team is more attractive?

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : December 23, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »

None of the above.

In Verner We Trust

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

« #14 : December 23, 2011, 06:46:52 PM »

Of all the teams that may have openings this offseason, Tampa and St. Louis will be the most attractive because both teams have young franchise quarterbacks in place that many people around the league like. If Miami or Jacksonville were to get RG3 or Barkley than I would say that they have very attractive situations. But it's looking like both may stay at school, so it's going to be hard to convince a big-time coach to come aboard. A coach can build up the rest of the team to get the most out of them, but before anything you need a franchise quarterback. The Rams don't have anything at all outside of Bradford, Jackson and Chris Long. The Jags have absolutely NOTHING outside of Jones-Drew and a decent front 7. The Dolphins don't have much of anything in place other than Cam Wake, Vontae Davis (maybe) and Brandon Marshall (if he doesn't finally ask for a trade). The Chiefs could be our biggest competition if they decide that Romeo isn't going to be the head coach there. They have a solid game managing QB, a great RB, very good WR corps if Bowe stays, young TE coming back from injury and very good looking defense once Eric Berry comes back next season.

But considering that the Bucs have a young franchise quarterback, a young RB that's rushed for over 1,000 yards, a defensive line with a ton of potential and pretty much the same exact team went 10-6 just a year ago.....Tampa would have the most attractive vacant coaching spot in the league. Also gotta account that the team is probably going to be more than willing to completely clean out the entire staff and let the new head coach hand pick their coordinators and assistants. They better make the change now though, cause another year of Raheem and a poor record would really hurt the team's selling point.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Breer thinks Glazers will hire big-name coach « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools