Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL is being bombarded with lawsuits from former players « previous next »
Page: 1

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« : December 24, 2011, 05:16:47 AM »

Earlier this week, another group of former players sued the NFL, alleging that the league failed to properly deal with the issue of concussions. The players, including former NFL running backs Jamal Lewis and Dorsey Levens, filed their claim in Atlanta.

On Thursday night, another 21 players filed suit in Miami.  Like several similar suits filed in recent months by former players, the latest lawsuit alleges that NFL officials knew about the risks related to concussions and deliberately ignored and concealed them.

The plaintiffs in the latest lawsuit include Leon Searcy, Patrick Surtain (pictured), Oronde Gadsden, Lamar Thomas, and Troy Drayton.

In all of the lawsuits alleging that the league didn’t do enough to protect players from concussions, the fact-finding process will focus on when the league knew or should have known about the risks associated with concussions — and when the league took appropriate action to protect the players.  Those two dates will create a window of potential liability to former players who can show that they suffered concussions and that the league failed to inform them of the risks and/or to protect them sufficiently after the league knew that concussions were a potential long-term health problem.

Along with the lawsuits filed this week in Atlanta and Miami, other lawsuits have been filed in Philadelphia and California.  Players who have joined the effort include Jim McMahon, Mike Furrey, Mark Duper, and Rodney Hampton.

“The NFL is a nine billion dollar per-year enterprise,” Ricardo Martinez-Cid, attorney for the plaintiffs and partner at the Miami-based law firm of Podhurst Orseck, said in a press release relating to the new lawsuit.  “They knew for decades that repeated blows to the head would lead to serious life-threatening and chronic injuries, yet they intentionally turned a blind eye and led players to believe they were okay to keep playing because they didn’t want to risk losing money in their coffers.”

The NFL now faces losing money in its coffers via significant legal fees and, eventually, settlements or verdicts.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/23/and-yet-another-concussion-lawsuit-is-filed/

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #1 : December 24, 2011, 05:48:18 AM »

Who is to say the players weren't concussed during college practice and games? Why isn't college football culpable? Wonder if players signed documents showing that they're aware of the hazards of playing professional football. They wouldn't want me on the jury if this were to go to trial.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #2 : December 24, 2011, 05:51:55 AM »

Do we EVER want you on the jury, Morgan? JK, buddy. Yeah, it's a tough sell as to when the damage was done. It's like if you worked an industrial job for 20 years and yet smoked and drank too. What did the most damage?

In Verner We Trust

Morgan

Hall of Famer
« #3 : December 24, 2011, 05:58:20 AM »

Guess there'd be a trail of medical records showing where the injury occurred, whether it was in college or pro.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : December 24, 2011, 06:09:46 AM »

Correlation, but not necessarily causation.

In Verner We Trust

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
« #5 : December 24, 2011, 06:47:50 AM »

“The NFL is a nine billion dollar per-year enterprise,” Ricardo Martinez-Cid, attorney for the plaintiffs and partner at the Miami-based law firm of Podhurst Orseck, said in a press release relating to the new lawsuit. 

Translates to - I want my piece

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #6 : December 24, 2011, 06:48:15 AM »

I cant remember where I saw it now. But someone did a study and found that 5 years in the NFL (about the average career) is equal to putting your body through 30 car accidents in the same time span. Of course this also doesnt include the hits a player would take in high school and college.

Traumatic brain injuries tend to be cummulative. In other words, if you have your first concussion, everything will likely heal and will be fine. Not a big deal. But then your next concussion could end up being worse. And then your third is worse than your second. And so on.... With every injury, the brain struggles more and more to heal itself. And eventually certain areas may not fully heal at all. And that is what causes these neurological problems these players are experiencing. That's the science behind what's happening when a 35 year old former NFL player has memory problems.

But there still should be some common sense here about what you are getting into and signing up for. There is no hiding the fact that its a violent sport. The body is being smashed around constantly. There is a risk there. Is it any different than a guy who's lighting up a pack of cigarettes everyday despite the cancer warning on the pack?

BTownBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #7 : December 24, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »

Don't worry.  They'll all be wearing flag belts soon anyway the way this sport is going.

Then again, I've seen some pretty wicked injuries grabbing flags... maybe two hand touch then.

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

« #8 : December 24, 2011, 09:48:17 AM »

Good for them, I hope they win.  For years the league has treated the broken-down former players like crap

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #9 : December 24, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »

I see no problem with this if the current players want to take a reduction in pay to help the former players.

buchead

Hall of Famer

« #10 : December 24, 2011, 09:59:45 AM »

Whats funny is its the former players who seem to have the biggest issue with the leagues new stance on hard hits. If someone were to round up every former player who has filed a similar suit, you could probably find a ton of damaging comments about football being football. How the league is ruining the game with these new rules.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
« #11 : December 24, 2011, 11:42:06 AM »

Funny how every player in the nfl today know about concussions and they still play.  I haven't seen one player decide not to play since the science of concussions have been out the last few years

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!
  Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NFL is being bombarded with lawsuits from former players « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools