Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: John Clayton on ESPN news Mike Sherman could « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

weston823

Second String

#30 : December 26, 2011, 07:36:00 PM

Might as well add Wannstad and Al Groh to the list if we're considering that nonsense...

We joke, but those are the kind of names I see coming to Tampa.  I really don't see the big name free agent coach coming here.  It may very well end up being a Sherman type guy who is willing to come to Tampa and who the Glazers are willing to pay.  What will a coach like Sherman ask for a year, 3 million?  That's a whole lot cheaper than the 6-8 million to get a big name coach.  I'm not saying it is Sherman, I'm just saying that's the type of guy we should expect. 

VA_Buc30

Starter

#31 : December 26, 2011, 07:52:13 PM

Clayton's statement was "don't be surprised to see a guy like Mike Sherman" on the list to coach the Bucs.  His point was this year's theme in the coaching search for all the teams will be "experienced" coaches.  He doesn't see any of them taking a risk on inexperienced head coaches.  Of course, just his opinion.

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#32 : December 26, 2011, 07:58:47 PM

The Glazers are not going to pay someone $10 million a year. Forget Cowher. That's not happening. Especially since there will be some pretty attractive jobs such as the Chargers and possibly the Eagles and Giants.

They will get someone experienced but cheaper. It may be someone like Sherman, Turner, or Billick.

Be prepared for that.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#33 : December 26, 2011, 09:11:04 PM

Our fanbase can be incredibly stupid. Seriously, Sherman has been fired from two jobs now. Fisher had two decades to win a super bowl and couldn't do it and was fired. Cowher runs a 3-4 which would mean we need to blow up the team again (Bowers, Price, McBust, Clayborn are all 4-3 players).

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 26, 2011, 09:59:12 PM

Our fanbase can be incredibly stupid. Seriously, Sherman has been fired from two jobs now. Fisher had two decades to win a super bowl and couldn't do it and was fired. Cowher runs a 3-4 which would mean we need to blow up the team again (Bowers, Price, McBust, Clayborn are all 4-3 players).

Sherman coached 6 season, had 5 winning seasons, has a 59% winning % in the NFL had a top 10 offense 4 of the 6 years (11 in another). Yeah, he's freakin' awful in the NFL. People are stupid if you look at that record and automatically reject him.

The fact that he sucked in college means nada to me. Totally different games where as was said in another thread recruiting matters a lot more than coaching.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 26, 2011, 10:03:13 PM

Sherman coached 6 season, had 5 winning seasons, has a 59% winning % in the NFL had a top 10 offense 4 of the 6 years (11 in another).
Yeah, he's freakin' awful in the NFL. People are stupid if you look at that record and automatically reject him.

The fact that he sucked in college means nada to me. Totally different games where as was said in another thread recruiting matters a lot more than coaching.

It's called having Brett Favre in his prime as your QB. Any high school coach could have pulled off that same feat.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 26, 2011, 10:05:59 PM

It's called having Brett Favre in his prime as your QB. Any high school coach could have pulled off that same feat.

Well then we can scratch Bellichek off as being brilliant because he has Brady in his prime. Screw Walsh he had Montana. Don Shula...spare of all time had TWO HOF QB's carrying his sorry butt with Griese and Marino. 

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#37 : December 26, 2011, 10:28:58 PM

Turner...Sherman...any wonder why I question the Glazer's football decision making.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#38 : December 26, 2011, 10:36:54 PM

Well then we can scratch Bellichek off as being brilliant because he has Brady in his prime. Screw Walsh he had Montana. Don Shula...spare of all time had TWO HOF QB's carrying his sorry butt with Griese and Marino.

How did Seifert look in Carolina without Montana or Young? How does Shanahan look without Elway? Right now the Redskins are selecting in the 2012 draft 7th....right behind Tampa at 6th....and with all those high-priced veterans. Indy this year without Manning? Need I go on? Sherman rode Favre's heroics....plain and simple.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#39 : December 26, 2011, 10:39:37 PM

only coach I can think of that had great success without a franchise QB is Cowher.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#40 : December 26, 2011, 10:41:20 PM

only coach I can think of that had great success without a franchise QB is Cowher.

Just like Gruden had Kiffin, Cowher, for the most part, had LeBeau. A great D.C. is almost as good as a great QB.

bucfanmark

Second String
#41 : December 26, 2011, 10:42:54 PM

The glazer's / bucs have pId for coaching before.    Remember 2 first round and 2 second round picks.     I do.   What makes you think they won't again

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#42 : December 26, 2011, 10:43:51 PM

How did Seifert look in Carolina without Montana or Young? How does Shanahan look without Elway? Right now the Redskins are selecting in the 2012 draft 7th....right behind Tampa at 6th....and with all those high-priced veterans. Indy this year without Manning? Need I go on? Sherman rode Favre's heroics....plain and simple.

So using this line of thought coaches don't matter, QB's do?  I mean  Bellichek was a .450 coach w/o Brady so since we don't have Brady here you'd not want him right? Tolin is being carried by big Ben, again you not want him?

Frankly, Favre is by far the least stable "great" QB of all time so winning with that sort of play is still good.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#43 : December 26, 2011, 10:44:16 PM

because that was their father's doing....

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 26, 2011, 10:48:34 PM

The glazer's / bucs have pId for coaching before.    Remember 2 first round and 2 second round picks.     I do.   What makes you think they won't again
now the league has passed rules prohibiting such transactions - so that isn't happening

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: John Clayton on ESPN news Mike Sherman could « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools