Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What about Russ Grimm? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #30 : December 27, 2011, 11:57:05 AM »

if you can't respect a guy with a bust in the hall and a yellow jacket and refuse to buy into his leadership  then you don't belong on the team. 

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

« #31 : December 27, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »

Like I said, these players are at Club Med right now with Raheem. He has no backbone and is a spineless wimp in terms of enforcing rules. Oh you bench one of the few playmakers we have at the end of the season where it didnt matter? yeah you really are such a stickler for greatness huh Rah? Give me a break...Russ Grimm would be a fine friggin candidate for OC or potentially HC. Considering you went to a guy who never played in the NFL and has never amount to anything elsewhere you can't act like Raheem Morris is better then a HoFer who has won multiple superbowls and was part of one of the most legendary groups of players in the NFL ever.

tonto

Starter

« #32 : December 27, 2011, 12:12:07 PM »

Grimm is  the best choice I've heard offered to date.  Yes.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #33 : December 27, 2011, 12:14:16 PM »

Russ is probably the biggest reason Cody made it to the NFL and on a physical level Cody has no business being in this league.  Says a lot to me.

YReceiver14

Starter

« #34 : December 27, 2011, 12:20:23 PM »

He'll need top notch coordinators, IMO.  I've never heard of him as an x's and o's guy.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

« #35 : December 27, 2011, 12:27:46 PM »

He'll need top notch coordinators, IMO.  I've never heard of him as an x's and o's guy.
not arguing that point but he probably has more than enough friends and contacts in this league to convince some good ones to join his staff.

blah

Second String

« #36 : December 27, 2011, 01:11:37 PM »

My uncle played as his back up back in the day. Got the chance to meet him at a family gathering. Hell of a guy.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #37 : December 27, 2011, 01:54:41 PM »

Grimm is  the best choice I've heard offered to date.  Yes.

He's done enough as an assistant and position coach to warrant a head coach job. I'd recommend he have an OC/DC assistant and that would allow him to oversee the entire franchise and serve as a leader (and not best buddy to the players).

Another possibility is Herm Edwards.

bfarbs

Pro Bowler
« #38 : December 27, 2011, 01:59:58 PM »

I dont want Del Rio as a DC. Feedback from players was that he didnt consistently prepare team well for opponents. We have that this year. I dont need to see that again next year.

Native Buc

Pro Bowler

« #39 : December 27, 2011, 02:01:03 PM »

How bout no Scott!

grandpaboy

Second String

« #40 : January 03, 2012, 08:46:13 PM »

I am convinced he is the right guy for the job.  4 Super Bowl appearances and 3 wins as a player under Gibbs and one as Assistant Head Coach under Cowher .  Also went to another as AHC with Cardinals.  He was rumored to have been hired initially by the Steelers to replace Cowher, but Rooney over-Ruled and Tomlin got job.  He was also passed over for Bears and Bills as well.  I think he could reshape culture here.  .   

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
« #41 : January 03, 2012, 10:30:18 PM »

I'd be interested to find out why he was snubbed for the other jobs. Didn't he interview well? Did he pull a George O'Leary?

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

« #42 : January 03, 2012, 10:34:19 PM »

Cody does not approve.

tailnreds8888

Second String

« #43 : January 03, 2012, 10:36:35 PM »

Good Read!!  (from Wikipedia)

Steelers coach candidacy

After the Arizona Cardinals hired Whisenhunt as their new head coach, on January 14, 2007, the finalists for the Steelers position were reduced to Grimm and Mike Tomlin. On January 22, 2007, Mike Prisuta of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported from an undisclosed source within the Pittsburgh Steelers organization that, then-assistant coach, Grimm would replace Bill Cowher as the team's coach. A day earlier, ESPN and Sports Illustrated stated on their web sites that Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin had been chosen to replace Cowher. However an NFL source confirmed on January 21, 2007 that Tomlin had not heard from the Steelers and no contract negotiations had taken place. Grimm was one of three finalists to replace Cowher, along with Tomlin and Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

Twenty four hours later Tomlin was announced as the Steelers new coach. Steelers' President Art Rooney II told CBS Sports on January 23, 2007 that no formal offer was ever made to Grimm, explaining that team reps did talk about an offer and contract numbers with both Grimm and Tomlin on January 20. Rooney explained, "We did tell Russ nothing would be final until Sunday". I feel bad if he got the wrong impression." As a result Prisuta's story was discredited[4] and he later resigned in 2009 from the Tribune-Review to accept a position with Pittsburgh's WDVE Radio.[5]
[edit]Coach candidacy conspiracy theory

The miscommunication displayed during the hiring of Mike Tomlin over Grimm, is also the focus of a conspiracy theory. According to the theory, Grimm was originally given the job as the Steelers head coach, however the job was soon stripped from him a few hours later and given to Tomlin. The theory was endorsed by Mark Madden, a local sports columnist who often contributes to the NFL Network show, NFL Top 10, and Clark Judge, of CBS Sports, also reported that three sources "close to the team" told him that the offer was made to Grimm and later rescinded.[6]

Conspiracy Theory

The theory reads that sports writer Mike Prisuta's story may have turned out wrong, but when he wrote it, it was accurate. Madden stated through his own undisclosed source on August 4, 2009, that Grimm and Tomlin were the two finalists to replace Cowher. Grimm was the front-runner for the job, but only by a slim margin. Art Rooney II, then told Grimm that he would later be announced as the team's new coach. Grimm passed on that information to Prisuta. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review then published the story on January 22. However, according to Madden, the NFL responded to the decision by calling Dan Rooney, stating, that the team should award the job to a minority candidate since Dan Rooney was in fact the author of the "Rooney Rule".[7] Tomlin who was a qualified, serious candidate was on par with Grimm's qualifications. The Steelers changed their mind and Tomlin was hired.[8]

However none of these "undisclosed sources" mentioned by Prisuta, Madden or Judge have ever come forward to the media. Therefore the issue remains a topic for sports conspiracy theorists.

tonto

Starter

« #44 : January 03, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

Conspiracy or not,  Rooney admits contract numbers were discussed with Grimm  immediately prior to Tomlin being  formally chosen.  The Steelers aren't dumb.  They knew Grimm would have made a great coach for their organization.  And since the Glazers and Dom are trying to mold the Bucs in a like manner, might as well choose the best fit......Russ Grimm.   
  Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: What about Russ Grimm? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools