Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden preparing to return to coaching in 2012........ESPN is aware. « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #135 : December 28, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »

In the entire history of the NFL, only 7 coaches have won a superbowl for teams that have won the superbowl only once.

Weeb Ewbanks
Hank Stram
Mike Ditka
**CENSORED** Vermeil
Jon Gruden
Tony Dungy
Sean Payton

That statement doesn't even make sense. In '72 Dallas had only won 1 SB, In 73 the Phins had only won 1 SB, In 75 Pitt had only won 1 SB. Are you saying these guys are better because Landry, Noll, and Shula won too many Superbowls??

I agree with you on Shula.   He's probably the best head coach of all time    Landry and Noll were great, but the Cowboys and Steelers have won multiple superbowls with other coaches as well.   That indicates strong ownership.   I don't think there's a completely level playing field in the NFL.   The coaches who won championships with teams that never win championships are achieving more if you ask me.

John Galt?

Hall of Famer
« #136 : December 28, 2011, 06:18:43 PM »

In the entire history of the NFL, only 7 coaches have won a superbowl for teams that have won the superbowl only once.

Weeb Ewbanks
Hank Stram
Mike Ditka
**CENSORED** Vermeil
Jon Gruden
Tony Dungy
Sean Payton

That statement doesn't even make sense. In '72 Dallas had only won 1 SB, In 73 the Phins had only won 1 SB, In 75 Pitt had only won 1 SB. Are you saying these guys are better because Landry, Noll, and Shula won too many Superbowls??

I agree with you on Shula.   He's probably the best head coach of all time    Landry and Noll were great, but the Cowboys and Steelers have won multiple superbowls with other coaches as well.   That indicates strong ownership.   I don't think there's a completely level playing field in the NFL.   The coaches who won championships with teams that never win championships are achieving more if you ask me.

The Cowboys changed owners between SBs. And New Orleans changed owners before hiring Peyton. And if we are talking bad owners, Al Davis managed 3 rings from 2 different HCs. And I don't think there is a worse owner than alive than Ralph Wilson so does Levy get credit for getting the Bills to 4 straight even if he didn't win (thanks to a bad kicker)?

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #137 : December 28, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »

And I don't think there is a worse owner than alive than Ralph Wilson so does Levy get credit for getting the Bills to 4 straight even if he didn't win (thanks to a bad kicker)?

Good point.   It's not Levy's fault that Thurman lost his helmet.   It's a crime that those Bills teams didn't win at least 1 superbowl.   That loss to the Giants was sickening.   That Giant team was far inferior.

YReceiver14

Starter

« #138 : December 28, 2011, 06:37:19 PM »

And I don't think there is a worse owner than alive than Ralph Wilson so does Levy get credit for getting the Bills to 4 straight even if he didn't win (thanks to a bad kicker)?

Good point.   It's not Levy's fault that Thurman lost his helmet.   It's a crime that those Bills teams didn't win at least 1 superbowl.   That loss to the Giants was sickening.   That Giant team was far inferior.

I love re-reading about Bill freakin' Belichick's gameplan for that game.  The man's got guts.

“Before you can be labeled elite, you’ve got to get a lot closer to having rings.”  --Josh Freeman, May 2012

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #139 : December 28, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »

That's the one Superbowl where I can honestly say that without a doubt the better team lost.   And they wouldn't have lost if not for that missed field goal.    What a dull game with OJ Anderson running all day.   Brutal to watch.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #140 : December 28, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »

I'll take Billick.

In Verner We Trust

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #141 : December 28, 2011, 10:30:30 PM »

That's the one Superbowl where I can honestly say that without a doubt the better team lost.   And they wouldn't have lost if not for that missed field goal.    What a dull game with OJ Anderson running all day.   Brutal to watch.

You really can't say that. The Bills didn't score more than the Giants, they didn't outgain them -- and that was vs the Giants backup QB. If they played a dozen times I don't think the Bills win more than they lose to that Giants team.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

« #142 : December 28, 2011, 10:42:28 PM »

You really can't say that. The Bills didn't score more than the Giants, they didn't outgain them -- and that was vs the Giants backup QB. If they played a dozen times I don't think the Bills win more than they lose to that Giants team.

Fluke game, much like the Bucs 2010 season.    I'll admit that with a healthy Phil Simms and Rodney Hampton, that Giants team was about equal to the Bills.   But not with Hostetler and OJ Anderson.

Hate

Hall of Famer
« #143 : December 28, 2011, 10:58:08 PM »

Bills win 7 outta 10

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #144 : December 29, 2011, 12:31:36 AM »

Bills win 7 outta 10

Agree with that.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

ryan24

Hall of Famer

« #145 : December 29, 2011, 12:50:04 AM »

.....and far better coached

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

moose40

Hall of Famer
« #146 : December 29, 2011, 08:45:08 AM »

So do you want Dungy or Billick in there?   I really don't care.   But one of them belongs.

If it's "super bowl" winnings, both belong, since both coaches won with teams that had won NFL championships prior to the merger and calling it Super Bowl.
« : December 29, 2011, 08:54:03 AM moose40 »
  Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Gruden preparing to return to coaching in 2012........ESPN is aware. « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools