Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jake Long on the block? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 27, 2011, 11:58:06 AM

Long - Nicks - Brewster - Joseph - Penn

If Miami offered Long, pick #7 and their 2nd to move up I'd do it. This allows you to address LT and RT, as well as pick up Dennard, Kirkpatrick or a LB, as well as an extra 2nd rounder. One trade addresses 3 needs and what you are giving up is a player you aren't going to take in the first place. Face it, Freeman ain't going nowhere.

Also, If you think Jake Long is going to agree to sign for chump change (3 yrs at 5mil each for a top notch LT is chump change) you're smoking chronic. Donald Penn got a fat contract - he's nowhere near Long's level. Pay the man and lock him up long term.

EDIT: The only reason I'm even asking for more than Long + pick #7 is because Miami is going to have to jump over Washington, who will also want RG3.

The reason for the renegotiated deal is from this link... http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Jake-Long-Tore-Biceps-in-Pats-Game-136214333.html which states...

"Long was placed on the Physically Unable to Perform list during the preseason with a knee injury, and he missed his first career start in the Week 15 Buffalo game due to a lower back injury. Long is also coming off of shoulder surgery performed after the 2010 season."

This is the 2nd time in 2 years that he's injured this same arm, first the shoulder and now the biceps.  There's a pattern developing.  Also, knee and back issues already causing missed games.  It's 3 years and there's already a track record of games missed due to injury.  Like I said, I'm willing to give him incentives that are easily obtained if he stays on the field and he'll still be the highest paid LT in the game.  I'm not short changing the guy, I'm just protecting my investment.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#16 : December 27, 2011, 11:58:53 AM

plus he's only 26. 

TBayXXXVII

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 27, 2011, 11:59:31 AM

guess we will just disagree on this.  He already is a top LT. Arguably  the top one.

To be sure, you think this years #1 plus Long is enough for the pick... or just Long?
i assumed the scenario was they trade us Long and we trade 1st round picks with them.  To me, that's a steal.

Ok, I wouldn't be upset with that... but I wouldn't thrilled either.  I'd just want 1 more pick.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#18 : December 27, 2011, 12:00:00 PM

No chance unless they convert him to a RT, he hasn't played that well anyways. I would rather sign another or get one in the draft.
first off, Donald Penn isn't even in the same ballpark with him.  Moving him to RT because of Penn is a joke.  2nd, he is better than any OT in this draft.  3rd, if healthy he is a top 15 player in this league.
Last year Penn was the best offensive tackle in football. At the beginning of this year, he was as well. He pancaked Dwight Freeney more than I've ever seen anyone before.

Trade Freeman for Long.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 27, 2011, 12:01:02 PM

asking too much.  Long is equivalent to a top 10 pick.  we would be getting two top 10 talents for a guy we are not going to draft anyways.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 27, 2011, 12:02:00 PM

No chance unless they convert him to a RT, he hasn't played that well anyways. I would rather sign another or get one in the draft.
first off, Donald Penn isn't even in the same ballpark with him.  Moving him to RT because of Penn is a joke.  2nd, he is better than any OT in this draft.  3rd, if healthy he is a top 15 player in this league.
Last year Penn was the best offensive tackle in football. At the beginning of this year, he was as well. He pancaked Dwight Freeney more than I've ever seen anyone before.

that's just laughable!

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#21 : December 27, 2011, 12:06:30 PM

that's just laughable!
I was at the game and watched Penn vs Freeney the whole time because watching Josh check down is about as exciting as watching John Brantley check down.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#22 : December 27, 2011, 12:07:58 PM

Last year Penn was the best offensive tackle in football.
I have no qualms with Donald Penn...but the guy is far from the best LT in the game. That statement is just laughable. He in a top 16 LT but he doesnt even come close to being Top 5.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 27, 2011, 12:08:29 PM

I have no qualms with Donald Penn...but the guy is far from the best LT in the game. That statement is just laughable. He in a top 16 LT but he doesnt even come close to being Top 5.
LAST YEAR

acacius

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 27, 2011, 12:13:48 PM

No.  He really wasn't.

hanks9872

Second String

#25 : December 27, 2011, 12:18:33 PM

I find that hard to believe also!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 27, 2011, 12:44:55 PM

Last year Penn was the best offensive tackle in football. At the beginning of this year, he was as well.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 27, 2011, 01:10:39 PM

I would swap first rounders with Miami if they throw in Long.  Worth the gamble.  Heck, him and Gerald can rehab together.

CyberDilemma

Hall of Famer

#28 : December 27, 2011, 02:17:18 PM

Re-negotiate Longs contract to a 3yr/$15M deal ($5M per year)

For an All-Pro left tackle?......lol.....as Warren Sapp used to say, "I wouldn't even take off my house slippers for that kind of money."

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#29 : December 27, 2011, 02:21:58 PM

Re-negotiate Longs contract to a 3yr/$15M deal ($5M per year)

For an All-Pro left tackle?......lol.....as Warren Sapp used to say, "I wouldn't even take off my house slippers for that kind of money."

Ya he is a great player.  But the thought of a trade involving draft picks is interesting.  And the Glazers have the money and cap room to make it happen.  I guess it depends on how much love the Dolphins develop for RG III between now and the draft.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jake Long on the block? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools