Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Maher Sparks Fury With Tebow Remark « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11

Benchwarmer#1

Hall of Famer

#15 : December 27, 2011, 09:38:04 PM

I just want to know one thing. .....Is that how he plays when God doesn't have his back?

Seriously, I believe in God and of course am a Christian, but even I find his faith based "antics" a bit politician-like and prewritten/scripted.

I am glad he at least got a starting nod somewhere. It is still not a sure thing he will continue to be though. Next season he might suffer from the same setbacks Freeman had this season, minus the awful HC and defense. Teams will gameplan specifically for him and concentrate on stopping the run. That is when his true "test" will be imo.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#16 : December 27, 2011, 09:39:48 PM

Seriously, I believe in God and of course am a Christian, but even I find his faith based "antics" a bit politician-like and prewritten/scripted.

Really?   How about this?

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#17 : December 27, 2011, 09:45:33 PM

Umm I didn't take it seriously at all maybe you guys can't comprehend? lol...

I understood it and I pity him and all those who think comments like this are funny. What is funny, sad actually, is that we have to tip toe around race, ethnic backgrounds, illegal aliens, alternative life styles and such but when it comes to Christianity, well let the dogs out and drop the barriers so we can all have a good laugh. Talk about your double standards. But I bear maher no animosity, he knows not what he does. One day he will.

actually, if youre not some uptight VeAGan(capitols only, lol), race, alternative lifestyles(dont be so PC and just say gay), handicaps, and anything else can be funny. I happen to know people of all those "things of which we cannot speak" and we can joke about all of those things.

by the way, race, ethnic background, illegal aliens are all the same thing. So really as long as we dont joke about religion, gays, or different races we are ok?

also, Bill Maher could care less what anyone thinks of his response. You clearly have never seen his shown(its not all that great).

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : December 27, 2011, 09:50:17 PM

I must be getting old - the mere fact one person doesn't understand the impact their statements have upon others - like Maher evidently doesn't get it, and to a similar degree Tatman and TebowForcedTrauma, is disappointing.  The fact that free speech is a right doesn't mean everything folks say is right...

For years I explained to folks if you wouldn't say something in front of your mom you probably should find different terms to use regardless of the audience, but that doesn't work with some of the folks I now see through the media, and from time to time in person.  Maher might be a comedian, he might be a political hack, and he might be a game show host.  One thing he is happens to be wrong in this matter.  Too bad he and some on this board might not understand why, maybe if they asked their moms....

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#19 : December 27, 2011, 09:54:58 PM

My mom thought it was funny as well. She has a sense of humor.

How is this any different than George Carlin standup?

Because he used the F-bomb and Jesus in the same sentence? Carlin has done that as well.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#20 : December 27, 2011, 09:56:16 PM

Tact and cuth are not a basis for free speech, and definately nothing youll find from 99% of comedians.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#21 : December 27, 2011, 10:00:09 PM

So you still live with your Mom?    That explains a lot.   

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : December 27, 2011, 10:03:24 PM

How is this any different than George Carlin standup?

Because he used the F-bomb and Jesus in the same sentence? Carlin has done that as well.
I don't believe you.  Sorry.  As for being different from Carlin when using the same type of thoughts - it isn't.  Sorry you don't understand that.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#23 : December 27, 2011, 10:05:22 PM

actually my mom passed away awhile back. that comment about her thinking it was funny was also a joke....seems people dont know what humor is anymore.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#24 : December 27, 2011, 10:08:35 PM

Ahhh, OK. so Carlin isnt funny. Im sorry your religion interferes with your ability to determine whats humorous and whats not. Im sorry your religion and your mother wont let you laugh at whats clearly intended to be a joke and not taken literally.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#25 : December 27, 2011, 10:09:06 PM

actually my mom passed away awhile back. that comment about her thinking it was funny was also a joke....seems people dont know what humor is anymore.
Oh I agree with that, many folks don't know what humor is anymore - and I am sorry to hear about your mother's passing.  Try asking another family member adult you might respect - be sure to repeat exactly what Maher said as you look the person you chose right in the eye. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#26 : December 27, 2011, 10:13:39 PM

Ahhh, OK. so Carlin isnt funny. Im sorry your religion interferes with your ability to determine whats humorous and whats not. Im sorry your religion and your mother wont let you laugh at whats clearly intended to be a joke and not taken literally.
I laugh with the best of folks tatman, and I enjoy an off color joke or comment.  What I don't do is go out of my way to offend - not due to religion, race, sex or just about anything else.  Adults - imvho - understand hurting others with unnecessary comments is wrong. 

Now this isn't a civics class, I have said what I think is appropriate for this venue.  You are free to do as you wish - as it is your right.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#27 : December 27, 2011, 10:13:47 PM

most my family isnt all that religious and even those that are, arent uptight enough to not see the humor. I know some cant find any humor in religion, but that doesnt mean its not there or that its not funny.

see, people are allowed to laugh at it.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#28 : December 27, 2011, 10:20:50 PM

Tatman - it goes beyond religious - it is respect for others and their feelings.  And using Carlin as some sort of moral compass is pretty iffy.  You family need not be religious to be able to do the simple test I mentioned - they need only feel respect for others and the beliefs of others.  Now if you know no one with such tenets - well I am sorry. 

spartan

Hall of Famer
#29 : December 27, 2011, 10:31:37 PM

Maher has become a sad old man seeking relevance IMO.

I consider myself a Christian but am not offended by his comments, but I do think they are pretty disgusting and pathetic. He could have made the point without having to go down the road he did, and been funny doing it, but he so hates Christians that his inner self just got the better of him. That says more about him than anything else.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Maher Sparks Fury With Tebow Remark « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools