Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Maher Sparks Fury With Tebow Remark « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#150 : December 30, 2011, 07:46:50 PM

Not at all. From my point of view, I just don't like the words Jesus and **CENSORED**ed juxtaposed together. I take offense by it and don't like Maher for it.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#151 : December 30, 2011, 07:47:13 PM

The Almighty One gets the credit for success, but avoids blame for failure. It's a sweet racket.

Sounds a lot like Raheem until just recently.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#152 : December 30, 2011, 07:53:40 PM

Clearly you non-Christians don't understand how this arrangement works. The Almighty One gets the credit for success, but avoids blame for failure. It's a sweet racket.

Don't tell Steve Johnson that.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#153 : December 30, 2011, 08:09:03 PM

The Almighty One gets the credit for success, but avoids blame for failure. It's a sweet racket.
Sounds a lot like Raheem until just recently.
I was thinking he might have been confused

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#154 : December 30, 2011, 08:13:51 PM

Not at all. From my point of view, I just don't like the words Jesus and **CENSORED**ed juxtaposed together. I take offense by it and don't like Maher for it.

It would have been better if God hadn't invented humor but he did so his kid is going to have to deal with it.

I understand your position I really do and I respect that you hold it but I don't really agree with the position itself if that makes any sense to you. I can see drawing a line but I don't think that comment would remotely cross any line. I don't feel Jesus would be that hypersensitive; at least I hope he wouldn't be, He never came off that way. Now, if you said it about his father then it would be on.

I'd like to say that God wouldn't care if you joked about him either but the book makes it pretty clear he would. That's one place I tend to differ from the book and so far no lightning bolts but who knows?

In any case, since I understand and respect your position on it I'm not going to push your buttons over it. There's both better and worse reasons not to like Maher so this one is just as good as any.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#155 : December 30, 2011, 09:10:12 PM

I wonder if Tebow was a Muslim and thanked Allah all the time, and if Maher had said **CENSORED** Mohammed, if people would have cared as much?

I'm thinking he would be in the final throws of putting together his security detail.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#156 : December 31, 2011, 10:40:32 AM

The fact that you think his comment has ANYTHING to do with bigotry is completely inane. It just proves you don't possess the wit to understand Maher's joke, which is more sad than anything.

You did not respond to my question,  Why?  Also, I said the Maher joke was either motivated by bigoty/hatred or greed, but is it your belief that someone who speaks out against bigotry or greed is compensating?  You said "offended" so someone who is offended by Maher's comment is just compensating for being a poor Christian?

[When someone is "offended" by a comment someone else makes about their beliefs, it's usually because their faith in those beliefs isn't very strong. My dad is an Episcopal deacon and loves Bill Maher and finds his religious comedy very funny. My dad actually called me about this comment, and when the topic turned to the backlash from it, he said, "Sounds like a bunch of closet atheists trying to prove something to themselves."

You believe that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^?

I guess I am just a child of a lesser God.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#157 : December 31, 2011, 11:08:08 AM

I'd be interested to see what happened if the deacon told Maher's joke to his congregation.
Page: 1 ... 9 10 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Maher Sparks Fury With Tebow Remark « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools