Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Maher Sparks Fury With Tebow Remark « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#30 : December 27, 2011, 10:32:15 PM

Umm I didn't take it seriously at all maybe you guys can't comprehend? lol...

I understood it and I pity him and all those who think comments like this are funny. What is funny, sad actually, is that we have to tip toe around race, ethnic backgrounds, illegal aliens, alternative life styles and such but when it comes to Christianity, well let the dogs out and drop the barriers so we can all have a good laugh. Talk about your double standards. But I bear maher no animosity, he knows not what he does. One day he will.

considering its the Christians that are usually causing issues with race, illegal aliens, ethnic backgrounds, and alternative lifestyles, I think they get off pretty easy.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#31 : December 27, 2011, 10:34:25 PM

I understood it and I pity him and all those who think comments like this are funny. What is funny, sad actually, is that we have to tip toe around race, ethnic backgrounds, illegal aliens, alternative life styles and such but when it comes to Christianity, well let the dogs out and drop the barriers so we can all have a good laugh. Talk about your double standards. But I bear maher no animosity, he knows not what he does. One day he will.

considering its the Christians that are usually causing issues with race, illegal aliens, ethnic backgrounds, and alternative lifestyles, I think they get off pretty easy.
It is a shame you categorize folks in that manner.  Perhaps you should meet some Christians and explain your feelings and find out what their feelings are.  You might end up with a different pov.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#32 : December 27, 2011, 10:35:12 PM

Notice how all these anti-religious people were big Raheem supporters?

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#33 : December 27, 2011, 10:40:12 PM

Notice how all these anti-religious people were big Raheem supporters?
No - I haven't tracked who likes or dislikes Raheem.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#34 : December 27, 2011, 10:44:07 PM

pretty sure christians dont respect athiest beliefs. maybe they should but that would be living in a fantasy world to expect some hippie hug it out, say nothing bad society. it would leave for a very bland and uneventful world. pretty sure most jokes are made at the expense of someones beliefs, thoughts, physical appearance, or anything else that could be considered disrespectful.

why are pirates funny? because they argghhhhh!!!! pretty sure thats not very respectful of how pirates talk and act. A joke is always at the expense of someone, even if its not directed at a single person. Id go further and say that eliminates every single form of humor.

If Mahers statement offends religious people or Tebow, or someones mother, well thats their offense to deal with. People say things I dont find respectful, tactful, or considerate of peoples feeling. If its about that, well they need to toughen up or go find a wobbly chair, a sturdy beam, and a short rope. Its going to be the only way for people to escape that type of behavior. This is the real world and not some hippie, everybody loves everyone world.

And if you honestly think humans can deny 10,000+ years of basic animalistic behavior(singling out things/people that are different) you cant be helped. The human species as a whole will never reach such a plateau. Its quite commendable that you choose to play along with such a fairytale though(dont take that negatively).

Too much is placed on society to be sensitive about 5 million different things instead of teaching people healthy ways to deal with such things and to make light of their differences. everybody is worried about each others feelings instead of being honest. Instead of healthy coping mechanisms and being able to talk about it, they hide all that until something gives.  Sadly, this often begins with the parents and they are no more educated on such things than the children they raise.

Instead of blaming the free thought that in this case happens to be joke, blame the uneducated masses who were never taught to deal with any negative diversity they face.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#35 : December 27, 2011, 10:46:56 PM

It is a shame you categorize folks in that manner.  Perhaps you should meet some Christians and explain your feelings and find out what their feelings are.  You might end up with a different pov.

or it could confirm his beliefs. Seems the christians you interact with and the ones I interact with have never crossed paths. Few I have met actually live by the words of jesus and are closer to the God in the Old Testament.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#36 : December 27, 2011, 10:48:45 PM

a joke can be disgusting and pathetic. Its still a joke and there is still humor. If you agree with it or not is another story.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#37 : December 27, 2011, 10:56:09 PM

Calling BS on that one. For example Illegal Aliens have a tendency to be pretty religious (Catholic from South America). They also tend to have a 'darker complexion', so not so much there either. I do agree with the 'alternative' lifestyle, but you can be sensitive without condoning.   

CaptainStagger

Hall of Famer
#38 : December 27, 2011, 10:56:26 PM

Am I wrong in assuming the Christiam right is anti gay, anti ethinic diversity and anti anything unlike themselves. C'mon man.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#39 : December 27, 2011, 11:01:01 PM

pretty sure christians dont respect athiest beliefs.
You are avoiding the personal responsibility and being a Christian or an atheist has nothing to do with respecting others beliefs. 

spartan

Hall of Famer
#40 : December 27, 2011, 11:02:33 PM

I don't mind people coming up with religious jokes or poking fun at Christians. I do it myself. I think the over-riding problem with Maher is that he wraps condescension and hatred in a vaneer of humor when he actually means what he says. There is therefore no humor there but a bitter taste left by a barb from a bitter person.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#41 : December 27, 2011, 11:07:15 PM

or it could confirm his beliefs. Seems the christians you interact with and the ones I interact with have never crossed paths.
Might be that I was right suggesting you look elsewhere.  Might also be good for you to recognize it is not necessarily about religion - it is about the rights of others as well. And Maher's or Carlin's right to free speech doesn't mean it is right for them to insult or mock Christians because of their religion, or gays because of their sexual orientation, or Chinese because of their Asian Heritage... you get all of this - don't you? 

spartan

Hall of Famer
#42 : December 27, 2011, 11:08:13 PM

Am I wrong in assuming the Christiam right is anti gay, anti ethinic diversity and anti anything unlike themselves. C'mon man.

To be blunt, yes you are wrong. For example, who led the civil rights movements in the 60's from the black and white side of the aisle? Christians.

Gay is less clear and we could get into a long and meaningful discussion on that, but for the sake of brevity let's say I concede that one, but Christians do more social good in this country than any other demographic IMO. That is not saying, nor denying there is some a$$holes who claim to be Christians like those idiots who turn up at Military Funerals. Bound to be some out there :)

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#43 : December 27, 2011, 11:11:37 PM

You are working diligently to spread the opinions of a few to the opinions of hundreds of millions?  The topic is Christians.  There are gay Christians welcomed to Churches all over the world.  I don't know about their ethnic diversity issue - and I sat between folks of Hispanic, Asian and African descent at midnight mass last Sunday morning.  So - I think you might want to broaden your thoughts about Christians. 

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#44 : December 27, 2011, 11:13:02 PM

To be blunt, yes you are wrong. For example, who led the civil rights movements in the 60's from the black and white side of the aisle? Christians.

Gay is less clear and we could get into a long and meaningful discussion on that, but for the sake of brevity let's say I concede that one, but Christians do more social good in this country than any other demographic IMO. That is not saying, nor denying there is some a$$holes who claim to be Christians like those idiots who turn up at Military Funerals. Bound to be some out there :)
Absolutely agree with that.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Maher Sparks Fury With Tebow Remark « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools