Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "LeGarrette Blount isn't the sharpest light bulb in the tool shed" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: December 28, 2011, 03:38:34 PM

2012 NFL Mock Draft
Last update: Monday, Dec. 26, 2011.

Special Matt Barkley Update (order not yet changed).
Next update: Every week during the NFL season.
 Follow me @walterfootball for updates.

The order of this 2012 NFL Mock Draft is based on the real 2012 NFL Draft Order.

1...Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford  
The Colts better not mess this up. They got their one victory out of the way. They even beat Houston. If they slay Jacksonville, they'll really screw themselves out of the Suck for Luck sweepstakes.

If the Colts hang on to the top spot. Andrew Luck will be the pick, but they're either going to have to trade him or deal Peyton Manning. Archie Manning told the media that his son won't want to play with Luck, but that's not even the major point. It's that Manning is owed a $28 million bonus prior to next season, so it won't be financially feasible to have both quarterbacks, especially if Manning isn't 100 percent.

Unless Manning is completely healthy, I think the Colts will move Manning and go with Luck, much like the Packers did a few years ago when they transitioned from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers. It'll be weird to see Manning in a different jersey, but you could have said the same thing about Favre and Joe Montana. Like Montana, Manning could go to Kansas City. Washington, San Francisco and Miami are other possible landing spots.

If Manning is healthy, however, there's some chatter that Jim Irsay may find some way to keep both signal-callers on his roster. I don't know how he'll be able to allocate his money elsewhere, but I guess that's something he'll have to figure out. 

2...St. Louis Rams: Matt Kalil, OT, USC  
*** Note: I said that I wouldn't be changing the order for this special Matt Barkley update (check back on Thursday for the usual 2012 NFL Mock Draft update), but I'm swapping the Rams and Vikings around because it's an obvious and very meaningful change. ***

Matt Kalil is a no-brainer pick if the Rams hold on to the second slot. St. Louis' front office has way too much invested in Sam Bradford to have him suffer David Carr syndrome. The offensive line is a mess, as right tackle Jason Smith stinks and left tackle Rodger Saffold is too overmatched to be stationed on the blind side.

Getting better protection for Bradford is paramount, especially in the wake of the Brandon Lloyd trade. And besides, Kalil is a better prospect than both Morris Claiborne and Justin Blackmon.

Pick change; previously Justin Blackmon, WR

3...Minnesota Vikings: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU 
Trades in the top three were very improbable in the old CBA. That's not the case anymore. I believe the Vikings will trade this selection to a team desperate to land Robert Griffin. That could be the Browns, who can deal both of their first-rounders (a fair deal via the trade value chart). It could also be the Redskins, who can send their 2012 and 2013 first-round selections to the Vikings. Either way, Minnesota is in great shape.

If the Vikings are crazy enough to hold on to this pick, it'll come down between Morris Claiborne and Justin Blackmon. I'm giving the former the slight edge for two reasons: First, he's the better prospect. And second, Minnesota is so incredibly desperate for cornerback help. Antoine Winfield, who has missed at least six games in three of the previous five years, turns 35 in June. The disappointing Chris Cook has legal issues. And Cedric Griffin hasn't been the same since his double ACL tears.

Blackmon also makes sense if the Vikings are confident that Winfield can give them another strong two years and Cook can stay out of trouble, but Claiborne is the favorite right now.

Pick change; previously Matt Kalil, OT

4...Jacksonville Jaguars: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State 
The Jaguars will consider Robert Griffin if he's available here because Blaine Gabbert is a sunk cost. Professional quarterbacks don't close their eyes and soil their pants at the first hint of a pass rush.

However, I don't think Griffin will be available. There's going to be such a frenzy to move up to the No. 3 spot to secure him, and I can't see general manager Gene Smith trading up for the second year in a row for a quarterback.

If Smith sticks with Gabbert, he'll need to provide him with a legitimate No. 1 receiver. Mike Thomas and Cecil Shorts are both secondary options at best.

Pick change; previously Robert Griffin, QB

5...Cleveland Browns: Robert Griffin, QB, Baylor 
If Robert Griffin somehow falls to No. 5, this will be a no-brainer. Colt McCoy is a lost cause, so the Brows will select Griffin as their new franchise quarterback. Is Griffin the prototypical West Coast quarterback? No, but neither was Donovan McNabb, and Andy Reid, Mike Holmgren's pupil, selected him back in 1999.

Like McNabb, Griffin is just too talented to pass up. He's also really smart and should be able to master Holmgren's offense pretty quickly.

Having said all of that, the Browns will probably have to move up to No. 3 to grab Griffin. Luckily, they have two first-round picks, so they're currently the favorite to do so. Daniel Snyder will be their main competition.

Pick change; previously Matt Barkley, QB

6...Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama 
LeGarrette Blount isn't the sharpest light bulb in the tool shed, as Emmitt might say. He can't catch the ball, and he doesn't understand pass protection schemes. There's a reason the coaching staff doesn't use him in passing situations. He's just completely lost, and it doesn't help that he fumbles the ball at every opportunity.

The running back position isn't among Tampa's three or four greatest needs, but it must be addressed this offseason. Trent Richardson is the best player available, so the Buccaneers would definitely consider him. They really need to add two play-makers on offense, and obtaining the Alabama runner would be a nice start.

Pick change; previously Morris Claiborne, CB

Round 2

37...Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Lavonte David, OLB, Nebraska  
The Buccaneers really like Lavonte David. They really need help at linebacker; it's so bad that David could be an instant upgrade.

Round 3

68...Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Shaun Prater, CB, Iowa 
All indications are that the Buccaneers will definitely consider a cornerback early in the 2012 NFL Draft. Aqib Talib could be going to jail, while Ronde Barber will be heading for retirement soon. The corner position is a dire need for Tampa.

Pick change; previously LaMichael James, RB

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#1 : December 28, 2011, 04:22:32 PM

I really find it hard to believe that Blount actually attended University.   How is that even possible?

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#2 : December 28, 2011, 04:24:54 PM

I really find it hard to believe that Blount actually attended University.   How is that even possible?

Football scholarship

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#3 : December 28, 2011, 04:25:03 PM

Hmmm....that would be considered an insult if you could sharpen a bulb....

Bucs N Beers

Hall of Famer
#4 : December 28, 2011, 04:25:25 PM

I like that mock IF we also pick up a CB in free agency, either Grimes or Finnegan. Still need a WR as well.

Green Right Slot, Albacore 3 Y Quesadilla

bizkitlimped

Hall of Famer
#5 : December 28, 2011, 04:29:28 PM

How do you know he sucks at those things? How often have you seen him in those situations? All of these things if problematic can be fixed. It's just a matter of coaching. I honestly believe he's the best weapon we have on offense and he is completely under utilized.

moose40

Hall of Famer
#6 : December 28, 2011, 04:32:35 PM

How do you know he sucks at those things? How often have you seen him in those situations? All of these things if problematic can be fixed. It's just a matter of coaching. I honestly believe he's the best weapon we have on offense and he is completely under utilized.
It's rare to see him in those situations, but the times I've seen him get a pass, the ball hits him in the hands and it's like a hot potato.

nick777777

Starter
#7 : December 28, 2011, 04:35:10 PM

I have only seen him drop one pass all season Maybe 2 which was a screen that I think a defender tipped, every other time he seems to catch it and turn it into positive yards.  The only notable one I remember was a little 5 yard turn around that he dropped that hit him directly in his chest. 

Theoldbuc

Starter

#8 : December 28, 2011, 04:36:35 PM

Now that's funny, right there!  ;D

MUSCLE_HAMSTER

User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hall of Famer
#9 : December 28, 2011, 04:39:23 PM

I'd rather have James for our team

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#10 : December 28, 2011, 04:42:46 PM

Blount averages 11 yards per catch and the only time ive seen him "hot potatoe" a catch is when Freeman unexpectedly dumped it off to him. Besides that he has maybe blatantly missed maybe 2 or 3 passes. That's it. With all of the problems on this team, I cant believe fans have a problem with the one player who is actually elite and could be a star on most other teams. Blame Olsen and Raheem for Blount not getting the ball passed to him. He was in practice before the season and in the preseaon he caught a short pass and took it over 40 yards.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#11 : December 28, 2011, 04:43:42 PM

Football scholarship

And America wonders why foreign countries school systems are producing more intelligent graduates.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#12 : December 28, 2011, 04:44:14 PM

Undoubtedly.  When trying to cut someone down for not being too smart - it is better to structure a thought that makes sense. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

moose40

Hall of Famer
#13 : December 28, 2011, 04:44:59 PM

being the rb on the 2011 Bucs, you have to assume the ball is either going to you or K2.

I don't have a problem with Blount, I actually posted in the surprise/disappointment thread that I was disappointed that his pass blocking wasn't worked on,

Bucpride5

Pro Bowler
#14 : December 28, 2011, 04:46:06 PM

Another defensive heavy draft? Jeez, be nice to get Freeman some offensive help.

Formerly known as T

I\'ll be optimistic until I see a reason not to be
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: "LeGarrette Blount isn't the sharpest light bulb in the tool shed" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools