Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rooney Rule « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#105 : January 05, 2012, 07:01:36 PM

yeah, maybe a 1% chance.  Gray isn't stupid or naive.  He knows this is a farce.  He'll go through the motions but he won't even bother coming to Tampa for the interview.

People have literally laid down their lives for Jerry to have this opportunity.  There are some here, as evidence by this thread, that feel he shouldn't have the opportunity because of his skin color.

Have you been drinking?    That post is nutty.   People laid down their lives for him to have that opportunity?    And I haven't seen anyone here say anything about him not deserving an opportunity due to the color of his skin.

Gray is a qualified candidate.  Far more qualified than Raheem Morris ever was.   However, I don't think he's one of the better candidates out there, and I do believe they are probably just interviewing him to satisfy the Rooney rule.   I like Jerry Gray, but not for the Bucs job at this point.   And I don't give a rats ass about his skin color.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#106 : January 05, 2012, 08:01:24 PM

But again ALL minorities. Just answering the problem by interviewing occasional Hispanic and mostly African-American candidates doesn't fully address the problem. In this case, women are minorities. Middle Eastern, Indian, Asian....

What, in your opinion, was "the problem?"
Are there qualified "women, Middle eastern, Inidan, Asian....." applicants that aren't being considered?
If I say I'm sure then you'll come back and say ''Name them.'' That you would possibly suggest that there aren't suggests bias and ignorance.
I find it hard to believe that there aren't OTHER minority candidates that deserve interviews. Realistically we probably don't even know their names. And I understand that that comes across as a copout, but that's the reality.

No, the fact that you attempted to ask and answer a question I had no intention of asking suggests bias and ignorance. I was simply curious as to what you thought  "the problem" was?  But if you would like to stick with your "copout" answer, I understand.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#107 : January 05, 2012, 09:00:44 PM

All this does is piss off fans by delaying the process of hiring the head coach. Let the best person get the job based off of their merit and recognition within that line of work. Otherwise, it is counter-productive and is a backwards rule that only symbolizes a time period that is no longer present in society. Its outdated and needs to go. The NFL won't do that of course because you will have idiots like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson crying  racism if you do.

ToddyBuc

Hall of Famer

#108 : January 05, 2012, 09:03:49 PM

2 of our last 3 coaches have been black F------ck the Rooney rule for the Bucs..  We've met are quota..  Jerry Jones needs to Rooney out....pompous **CENSORED** that he is..

Bucs-Lightning already World Champions. Rays Next!!!

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#109 : January 05, 2012, 09:25:41 PM

You're right, docbravo. I'm ignorant to think that anyone could have an intelligent conversation with you. When you're a bigot, the questions will always be loaded. People don't want discrimination to end; they want it to end against them. That's human nature. Exchanging one form of bias for another isn't the answer. But you're not interested in that.
Ever been on the end of a job hire that was biased? I had a friend who sent a resume to a job in Boston about 15 years ago and based on his last name, they thought he was black. They were going to hire him on the spot and were ecstatic. Then they found out he wasn't black. Not only did he NOT get the job, he didn't even get an interview. I can tell you multiple other stories of this nature. We haven't fixed the problem of bias. We've only modified it.
That the NFL didn't hire black coaches or GMs for the longest time was shameful. But the Rooney Rule needs to be modified or dropped altogether. Once upon a time Americans wouldn't elect a president if he was Catholic. If you were Russian they automatically were considered a communist. If you were Japanese you were put in American concentration camps. If you were German, you had your stores vandalized or boycotted.
We've come a long way ... but we have a long way to go.

In Verner We Trust

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#110 : January 05, 2012, 09:29:50 PM

All this does is piss off fans by delaying the process of hiring the head coach. Let the best person get the job based off of their merit and recognition within that line of work. Otherwise, it is counter-productive and is a backwards rule that only symbolizes a time period that is no longer present in society. Its outdated and needs to go. The NFL won't do that of course because you will have idiots like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson crying  racism if you do.

In what way has this delayed the Bucs coaching search?

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#111 : January 05, 2012, 09:31:08 PM

If Jerry Gray's the best guy for the job then I hope he gets it. This shouldn't be about color; may the best man OR woman get the job and lead the Bucs where we want them go.

In Verner We Trust

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#112 : January 05, 2012, 09:33:24 PM

If Jerry Gray's the best guy for the job then I hope he gets it. This shouldn't be about color; may the best man OR woman get the job and lead the Bucs where we want them go.

Well put.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#113 : January 05, 2012, 09:44:21 PM

Because it wastes time, money, and an entire day that could go towards another candidate.

If the Glazers pick Jerry Gray to be the next HC and he didn't even bother to come to TAMPA to interview....then I just will lose it. Its disrespectful towards the team that we have to go to him. He is not the second coming of Don Shula....so **CENSORED** him and **CENSORED** the rule that makes us have to do it.

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#114 : January 05, 2012, 09:49:09 PM

Ya, who does he think he is?   He thinks he's too good to come to Tampa for an interview?    So if he gets the job, will he want to coach the team from Houston?   ;)

ryan24

Hall of Famer
#115 : January 05, 2012, 09:54:42 PM

Because it wastes time, money, and an entire day that could go towards another candidate.

If the Glazers pick Jerry Gray to be the next HC and he didn't even bother to come to TAMPA to interview....then I just will lose it. Its disrespectful towards the team that we have to go to him. He is not the second coming of Don Shula....so **CENSORED** him and **CENSORED** the rule that makes us have to do it.

Mike Sherman didn't come to Tampa either. The board lives in fear of you losing it.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

#116 : January 05, 2012, 09:59:15 PM

I am literally amazed at this thread.  What is hilarious is in one game day thread I was considered a racist and I totally agree that the Rooney rule has been a positive initiative.  You never know until the truth comes out.  Having grown up Detroit and raised color blind doesn't make me an expert on race issues.....that will always be a challenge to any minority group within another dominated group.  It is human nature.  But I digress......good begets good.....

JavaRay

Hall of Famer

#117 : January 05, 2012, 10:02:54 PM

Since the Rooney rule supposedly covers "all minorities" and the definition of that being anyone who is not a white male, I think they should just keep the Rooney rule as it is, but also pass the Wooney rule that states at least one white male candidate has to be interviewed as well.     Then it's all fair and good.

Badabingnrt

Starter

#118 : January 05, 2012, 10:11:39 PM

Look at the Dallas Cowboys head coaching history.  hmmm, one would argue that Jerry Jones may be a bit prejudice in only hiring white coaches.

What if Jerry Jones insists on only hiring white coaches.  Will this rule of making Jones interviewing a minority change that?

It's a dumb rule.  Look at the head coaches around the league in week 17 - The Dolphins, Steelers, Bengals, Raiders, Chiefs, Colts, Jaguars, Bears, Vikings, and Bucs had black coaches.  Over 30% of the league looked away from their racist urges and promoted a black coach.

I have no problem with this silly rule.  My problem would be if they made it that the team HAD to hire a minority coach.  That is when this will become a problem.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#119 : January 05, 2012, 11:01:32 PM

You're right, docbravo. I'm ignorant to think that anyone could have an intelligent conversation with you. When you're a bigot, the questions will always be loaded. People don't want discrimination to end; they want it to end against them. That's human nature. Exchanging one form of bias for another isn't the answer. But you're not interested in that.
Ever been on the end of a job hire that was biased? I had a friend who sent a resume to a job in Boston about 15 years ago and based on his last name, they thought he was black. They were going to hire him on the spot and were ecstatic. Then they found out he wasn't black. Not only did he NOT get the job, he didn't even get an interview. I can tell you multiple other stories of this nature. We haven't fixed the problem of bias. We've only modified it.
That the NFL didn't hire black coaches or GMs for the longest time was shameful. But the Rooney Rule needs to be modified or dropped altogether. Once upon a time Americans wouldn't elect a president if he was Catholic. If you were Russian they automatically were considered a communist. If you were Japanese you were put in American concentration camps. If you were German, you had your stores vandalized or boycotted.
We've come a long way ... but we have a long way to go.

Wow. So, because we differ in opinions, and I ask to to explain what you thought was "the problem,"  that makes me a "bigot," asking "loaded questions?"  My goal was to figure out what your definition was of "the problem" so that I could better understand why you are taking the stance that you're taking. In other words, to have an intelligent conversation. Obviously, you took offense to me asking a question, so I'll let it go. What I'm not interested in, is someone who takes offense so easily.  It REALLY doesn't mean that much to me. You, and many other misinformed people, can continue to think the "Rooney Rule" is synonymous with "Affirmative Action" and you will continue to be wrong.

*Washes His Hands of This Conversation*
Page: 1 ... 6 7 8
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Rooney Rule « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools