Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2012 Tampa Bay Rays « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #1245 : December 10, 2012, 12:44:55 PM »

Reaction To Rays-Royals Trade
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 10 at 11:06am CST]

The Royals continued adding to their rotation last night, acquiring James Shields and Wade Davis from the Rays. It cost them the game’s top prospect, outfielder Wil Myers, and three others: right-hander Jake Odorizzi, left-hander Mike Montgomery and third baseman Patrick Leonard. Here’s some reaction to the deal from around MLB...

It would have taken Jon Niese and Zack Wheeler for the Mets to obtain a similar package to the one the Rays obtained, Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports (on Twitter). Matt Cerrone of MetsBlog.com first reported this news four days ago.
    Though the trade reflects a sense of urgency from the Royals, Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star doesn't get the sense that GM Dayton Moore is on the hot seat (Twitter link).
    ESPN.com's Buster Olney suggests the Rays will delay Myers' arrival at the MLB level to ensure he doesn't obtain a full year of service time in 2013. It's also possible that the Rays could look to extend the promising outfielder, Olney suggests. I agree with both of Olney's point here. There's no way the Rays can allow Myers to get a full year of service in 2013.
    Six pro scouts don't consider the trade one-sided, J.J. Cooper of Baseball America reports. The Royals don't deserve the criticism being directed their way, the scouts told Baseball America.

Earlier reactions:

Shields will obtain a $750K trade bonus as part of the deal, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter).
    One GM told Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports that "Myers is no slam dunk" and added that this is "far from a lopsided deal." Rosenthal suggests teams like the Royals can too often get fixated on their prospects and pass on opportunities to compete.
    The Royals tried to trade Myers for Shields straight up, but the Rays said no, Yahoo's Jeff Passan writes (Twitter links). The Royals also tried trading Myers to Oakland for Brett Anderson only to be turned down, Passan writes.
    In Passan's view Royals general manager Dayton Moore made a desperate trade that will define his tenure as GM in Kansas City. Still, Passan writes, it's hard to blame the Royals for attempting to win now.
    The Tigers weren't happy to see the Royals acquire Shields, Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com reports. Shields is a difference maker who will make the Royals better, Knobler writes.
    The Rangers had hoped to add Zack Greinke or Shields this winter, but lost out on both this past weekend, Knobler reports (on Twitter).
    Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star won't be surprised if the Royals seek a low-cost outfielder in free agency (Twitter link). After trading Myers, the club might have interest in spending $1MM or less on a rebound candidate.
    It's an outstanding day for Rays fans, ESPN.com's Keith Law writes (Insider only). Conversely, this could be the deal that brings Moore's time in Kansas City to an end in Law's view.
    My thoughts: the Rays were justified in trading Shields and Davis for Myers and the other prospects because they obtained more long-term value. While the Royals surrendered a lot, they addressed their most pressing weakness -- starting pitching -- in a meaningful way and increased their chances of competing in 2013. The Royals have much more rotation depth than they did two months ago. Ervin Santana, Jeremy Guthrie, Shields and Davis make the Kansas City staff better. Yet you can make the case that they overpaid every time they acquired a new arm.

5 31 9 68
Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#u0thXOPcVekDhXTU.99

Bucsfan4life323

Starter
« #1246 : December 10, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »

I first had mixed thoughts about the trade, but now that I look at it...it looks like a steal by Friedman (only time will tell though)..Zobrist is now the only remaining Devil Ray...One thing you gotta wonder is what are the Rays gonna do with this bullpen?

TheAman

Hall of Famer
« #1247 : December 10, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »

There's a reason I don't like trading proven players for prospects. Its a gamble. I hope Myers is who they say he is but how l9ng before we see him? Shields was a top pitcher over the past 2 seasons and Davis was a consistent arm out of the pen.

Myers was the top hitter in the entire minor leagues last year.  He had an over 1.000 OPS.  He's going to be a rookie of the year candidate this year.  And Odorizzi can start in the majors if the Rays want him to as well, though likely he'll start in AAA.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #1248 : December 10, 2012, 01:16:36 PM »

Wouldn't surprise me if Myers started in the minors as well.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #1249 : December 10, 2012, 01:20:09 PM »

DRaysbay speculates Myers may not see the majors until after the Super 2 deadline in July:

http://www.draysbay.com/2012/12/10/3750094/james-shields-wil-myers-trade-rays-2013-roster

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #1250 : December 10, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »

That bullpen is a little scary after Rodney (hope he wasn't a 1 hit wonder), Peralta, and McGee

Bootz2004

Starter

« #1251 : December 10, 2012, 01:22:13 PM »

140+ KOs last season.

We've got our replacement for Pena.

And in the minors that's a ton. Batting average is good but his BABIP is high and won't be sustained in the majors. I'm not saying he's a bad prospect. I'm saying he's just a prospect. No guarantees

Bootz2004

Starter

« #1252 : December 10, 2012, 01:24:53 PM »

That bullpen is a little scary after Rodney (hope he wasn't a 1 hit wonder), Peralta, and McGee

As long as the starters can go 6 IP and Maddon doesn't continue to be matchup crazed it should be okay. Losing Shields will make us rely on the bullpen a lot more. Noway yyou can duplicate a pitcher who's been healthy for the last 6+ seasons and has gone over 200 innings in each season.

olafberserker

Hall of Famer
« #1253 : December 10, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »

don't worry, morgan is actually a royals fan

Bucsfan4life323

Starter
« #1254 : December 10, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »

Peralta is one guy I wish they didn't re-sign...he always ended up giving up a long ball to blow the game it seemed....and lol, that explains it.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #1255 : December 10, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »

$750K for being traded?  Kiss your agent, Jamey.  That's a sweet deal.

Escobar06

Hall of Famer

« #1256 : December 10, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »

I just don't understand the Greinke deal. He's a decent pitcher, but in no way is he worth what he just got. I think this guarantees Price is as good as gone in the next year or two, the Rays have to trade him. He's going to be the first 200m pitcher I believe, and the Rays obviously can't afford that.

-ts

Hall of Famer
« #1257 : December 10, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »

Yeah I can't see Price being around after this year... or at the latest after next.

Just doesn't look feasible.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

« #1258 : December 10, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »

140+ KOs last season.

We've got our replacement for Pena.

And in the minors that's a ton. Batting average is good but his BABIP is high and won't be sustained in the majors. I'm not saying he's a bad prospect. I'm saying he's just a prospect. No guarantees
His 140 punch-outs were more of an indication of him trying to go for the big hit more than anything. This trade reminds me of the Erik Berdard-Adam Jones trade and I can see this guy matching Jones offensive output in the distant future.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
« #1259 : December 11, 2012, 05:24:38 PM »

Enough with the dingleberry posts:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8732913/assessing-myers-shields-trade-royals-side-aint-pretty

Page: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: 2012 Tampa Bay Rays « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools