Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the obsession with Billick???? « previous next »
Page: 1

lemmer40

Second String

: January 03, 2012, 11:38:52 AM

Why are people on this board obsessed with getting Billick as our next coach?  I live in Baltimore and live here during his whole tenure as the Ravens coach.  The guy is the biggest ego maniac around.  He is smug and just an a$$hole.  Even when the Ravens were winning, many fans wanted him gone.  Most agree as well it wasn't him who won the SB, but Marvin Lewis.  Baltimore brough Billick there becasuse Billick himself said he know offense.  Heck, he even wrote a book about it.  Yet the Ravens offense was always horriable. 

My hatred for the Ravens to this day go back directly to Billick.  He isn't as smart as he says he is.  If the Bucs did hire him, I wouldn't be happy.  Rooting for a team with a coach I completely despise would be hard, but team trumps everything.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#1 : January 03, 2012, 11:40:42 AM

'Cause we'd rather have a smug Superbowl winner than a nice guy who loses 10 in a row.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 03, 2012, 11:42:32 AM

The Ravens never had a QB and he was smart enough to know he had an amazing D.

How about his offenses in Minny?

Wiki:

The Vikings made the playoffs during six of the seven seasons (19921998) that Billick spent with the team, and set several offensive records in the process. In 1998, Minnesota set a then-NFL record for most points scored in a season (556) (which has since been broken by the 2007 Patriots), and set a team record with 41 touchdown passes. His work under Minnesota head coach Dennis Green put Billick in the Bill Walsh coaching tree.

: January 03, 2012, 11:44:26 AM Madman

BayAreaBuc

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 03, 2012, 11:42:44 AM

'Cause we'd rather have a smug Superbowl winner than a nice guy who loses 10 in a row.
+1

#Mikey2Quarters

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 03, 2012, 11:48:51 AM

Because he's won a Super Bowl and they see him on TV alot. I think he announced some Buc games over the last few years too.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#5 : January 03, 2012, 11:53:56 AM

Billick is a clever guy.   He reminds me a bit of Sam Wyche.   He would be a good choice.

You Mad

Pro Bowler

#6 : January 03, 2012, 12:00:27 PM

if it were a choice of either Fisher or Billick, I'd take Billick. However his Viking days - to me- were as a much of a product of his players ( Moss) as his scheme.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 03, 2012, 12:01:28 PM

+1.

Nice guys finish last.

JasonOfthetower

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 03, 2012, 12:09:23 PM

Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Robert Smith and Daunte Culpepper (before his injury) certainly help your offense.

Billick never had any of those weapons in Baltimore. We need a Jon Gruden "my way or the highway" grade A ###hole to kick the crap out of these young kids and let them know they're not entitled to anything - they actually have to work for their jobs. Only - without the two-faced-ness that Gru showed. Billick is that type of guy.

Plus, Billick is a name that would attract quality coordinators. That's crucial, too.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 03, 2012, 12:27:55 PM

cause Sean Payton and Bill Bilichick already have jobs.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 03, 2012, 12:35:24 PM

I couldn't have said it any better.
You would think after the mess "nice guy" Morris has left people wouldn't be so bothered about that type of thing.
Hell Bilichick is dull as dishwater and abrasive but Pats fans love him because he wins.
I also don't get why a person would ask that when the vast majority seem to have a man crush on "Mr Average" Jeff Fisher.

Bucsfan x

Pro Bowler

#11 : January 03, 2012, 12:42:50 PM

/thread.

VA_Buc30

Starter

#12 : January 03, 2012, 02:21:25 PM

Because a lot of people here are still in love with Gruden.  And Brian Billick and Gruden are essentially the same coach.

Both are reported offensive geniuses
Both won a Super Bowl primarily because of outstanding defenses

Billick:

career record:  85-67 (.559)
playoff record:  5-3
Twice AFC North Champs
1 Super Bowl

Gruden:

career record:  100-85 (.540)
playoff record:  5-4
3 times NFC South Champs
1 Super Bowl

Boriqua

Starter
#13 : January 03, 2012, 02:28:58 PM

The guy may be a grade a "jerk", but, as it has been stated, this team does not need a likable coach, it needs someone who is going to wake them up and get them prepared. Someone who actually knows what they are doing, someone who has a history of getting quality assistant coaches, someone who is a leader. I don't like Billick either, but I would rather have a Belichek type coach who can win, than a great guy who, unfortunately, can't get his players to, you know, PLAY!
Page: 1
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why the obsession with Billick???? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools