Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why isn't Dominik Fired? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

JC5100

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 03, 2012, 03:56:41 PM

Nobody was questioning Dominik and saying this team had no talent when we were 4-2.

BS

Alot of people were bashing this team at 4-2 and they were called "haters".

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 03, 2012, 04:06:58 PM

Nobody was questioning Dominik and saying this team had no talent when we were 4-2.

Is that right?

I know I wasn't alone in saying the lack of signings would come back to haunt the them.

Theoldbuc

Starter

#17 : January 03, 2012, 04:11:56 PM

The truth is, at one time this team "without talent" was 4-2. It wasn't a personnel decision that sent them off the cliff. It was inefffective coaching. Morris and his staff failed to respond to the changes opponents made and youngry became yougly in a hurry. Losing close games happens to young, well coached teams. Getting blown out by losing teams, consistently, isn't a personnel issue. It's a preperation and adjustment issue, aka COACHING!
: January 03, 2012, 04:14:13 PM Theoldbuc

buchead

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 03, 2012, 04:22:10 PM

He drafted a punter 1 year then spent 20 million on a punter the very next year. That alone is a firable offense.

MagicMike

Starter

#19 : January 03, 2012, 04:24:34 PM

Honestly, I don't see what Dominick has done worth a damn either.  His free agent signings have been awful, and his drafts have been so-so.  Here's what he has done.

Draft:
2009 - Josh Freeman, Roy Miller, Kyle Moore, Xavier Fulton, EJ Biggers, Sammie Stroughter
2010 - Gerald McCoy, Brian Price, Arrelious Benn, Myron Lewis, Mike Williams, Brent Bowden, Cody Grimm, Dekoda Watson, Eric Lorig
2011 - Adrian Clayborn, DaQuan Bowers, Mason Foster, Luke Stocker, Ahmad Black, Allen Bradford, Anthony Gaitor, Daniel Hardy

In 3 drafts, he has drafted 23 players.  I would argue that only 8 of them are players that the new coach would want as long term building blocks (Freeman, McCoy, Price, Williams, Grimm, Clayborn, Bowers, and Foster).  None are superstars yet, but those 8 certainly show promise. 

Free agents signings:
2009 - Connor Barth, Michael Bennett, Michael Clayton, Byron Leftwich, Mike Nugent, Derrick Ward, Ryan Sims
2010 - Sean Jones, Keydrick Vincent, Kregg Lumpkin, Tyrone McKenzie, LeGarrette Blount, Ted Larsen, Frank Okam, Preston Parker, Dez Briscoe, Donald Penn
2011 - Michael Koenen, Quincy Black, Adam Heyward, Davin Joseph, Jeremy Trueblood, Zach Diles

He's had more success with UFAs like Barth, Blount, Bennett, Larsen, Parker, Briscoe, and Okam than he has with FAs and resignings.  Koenen was the only good signing he has made.  Resigning Penn, Joseph and Trueblood were good moves.  But, there are huge mistakes with Clayton, Ward, Nugent, Sims, Leftwich, Jones, Vincent, Black, and Heyward.  What makes anyone think he would make smart FA acquisitions this season?

Trades:
2009 - traded a 2nd round pick + 5th round pick for Kellen Winslow Jr. = good trade, but probably time to move on from Winslow.
2009 - traded our 6th round pick to move up 2 spots to select Josh Freeman = good trade
2009 - traded a 7th round pick for Sean Mahan = push
2009 - traded Gaines Adams for a 2nd round pick = tremendous trade, but poor use of the pick on Benn
2010 - traded a 5th round pick to move up for Benn = poor trade
2010 - traded 2 7th round picks for a 5th the following year = push
2011 - traded a 4th round pick to move up for Luke Stocker = terrible trade

Overall, he's been decent with trades, mostly thanks to the Gaines Adams trade. 

Was it the coach, the ownership, or Dominick?  I guess we'll find out this year, but in 3 years, Dominick hasn't done enough to impress me.

DailyRich68

Starter
#20 : January 03, 2012, 04:26:00 PM

Is that right?

I know I wasn't alone in saying the lack of signings would come back to haunt the them.

But there wasn't this revisionist argument that we had zero talent and that poor Raheem had nothing to work with.

DailyRich68

Starter
#21 : January 03, 2012, 04:28:39 PM

Honestly, I don't see what Dominick has done worth a damn either.  His free agent signings have been awful, and his drafts have been so-so.  Here's what he has done.

Draft:
2009 - Josh Freeman, Roy Miller, Kyle Moore, Xavier Fulton, EJ Biggers, Sammie Stroughter
2010 - Gerald McCoy, Brian Price, Arrelious Benn, Myron Lewis, Mike Williams, Brent Bowden, Cody Grimm, Dekoda Watson, Eric Lorig
2011 - Adrian Clayborn, DaQuan Bowers, Mason Foster, Luke Stocker, Ahmad Black, Allen Bradford, Anthony Gaitor, Daniel Hardy

In 3 drafts, he has drafted 23 players.  I would argue that only 8 of them are players that the new coach would want as long term building blocks (Freeman, McCoy, Price, Williams, Grimm, Clayborn, Bowers, and Foster).  None are superstars yet, but those 8 certainly show promise. 

So we're going to hold 6th and 7th round picks against him?  Like those pan out for every other NFL team but us.

Six of the eight players you say are worth building on were taken in the first three rounds.  That's damn good drafting.

traew01

Pro Bowler

#22 : January 03, 2012, 04:30:00 PM

Is that right?

No, you most certainly were not alone.

All the sheep here were sniffing Dom's asss when we were 4-2. I sure as hell wasnt. I could see the tremendous weakness on this team and knew that we needed more talent and more vets.

BucDaFackUp

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 03, 2012, 04:31:38 PM

Is that right?

But there wasn't this revisionist argument that we had zero talent and that poor Raheem had nothing to work with.

That would've been a bit extreme at that point wouldn't you agree? The point is he stood pat while others improved their rosters.....then after it became quite apparent to everyone with eyes that "the plan" was collapsing, he declared "the plan" was always to start signing FA's in the 4th year. I can't fathom how he escaped firing while Raheem walked the plank...they both under-performed at their jobs but only one gets fired?

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 03, 2012, 04:32:22 PM

its funny to me, next year when bowers, mccoy, price, and clayborn start maturing and turning into NFL players all our fans will be back on the dominik train.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

BucsnNoles

Pro Bowler

#25 : January 03, 2012, 04:35:33 PM

Morris and his staff failed to respond to the changes opponents made and youngry became yougly in a hurry.
So you're telling me that Morris single-handedly made the team become Asian?

DailyRich68

Starter
#26 : January 03, 2012, 04:41:16 PM

Dominik has made mistakes, but they weren't nearly as bad as Morris'.  The talent Dominik put together was good enough to go 10-6 last year.  Did they regress to 4-12 because they all suddenly became untalented?

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 03, 2012, 04:45:56 PM

Talent assembled was good enough for 7 to 9 wins so the Glazers decided coaching was the issue, especially lack of progression with the young players.    I think the Glazers would have been satisfied with an 8-8 season with young guys showing progress.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 03, 2012, 04:49:29 PM

Talent assembled was good enough for 7 to 9 wins so the Glazers decided coaching was the issue, especially lack of progression with the young players.    I think the Glazers would have been satisfied with an 8-8 season with young guys showing progress.

i assume this is the case as well.  they just wanted to develop the youth on our team and stay competitive.    its not the best plan ever, but its not awful imo.  another assumption i believe is DTGs on morris not growing into a HC.  this way we get a proven HC now, and the FA's will come soon.

and EVERYONE on this board can thump their chests and say how they were right about FA's and money spending and man u.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

Red Alert

Rookie

#29 : January 03, 2012, 04:49:31 PM

Dominik has made mistakes, but they weren't nearly as bad as Morris'.  The talent Dominik put together was good enough to go 10-6 last year.  Did they regress to 4-12 because they all suddenly became untalented?

They didn't get better because they had no time to do so. It takes alot of time for players to gel together, and we had a holdout. That's big for a young team.

Raheem took the blame, but he was a young coach too, so...

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Why isn't Dominik Fired? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools