Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs will interview Jerry Gray in Houston « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

nic247buc

Starter

#30 : January 05, 2012, 10:46:26 AM

Gray yuck!!! Zimmer!!!!

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#31 : January 05, 2012, 10:48:45 AM

I think they're going out of their way to talk to him to make it not look like a Rooney Rule interview. Possibly trying not to publicly insult the man, seeing as how ridiculous the rule is abused these days.

Or maybe he's an actual candidate

There wouldn't be any doubt if not for the rule.
good point Biggs.
If not for the rule, would we even know Jerry Gray's name? The fact that we know it now, can't possibly be a negative, can it?

So what happens if they turn around and interview another minority candidate after him? Would that make Jerry Gray's interview less legitimate?

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#32 : January 05, 2012, 10:50:34 AM

I think they're going out of their way to talk to him to make it not look like a Rooney Rule interview. Possibly trying not to publicly insult the man, seeing as how ridiculous the rule is abused these days.

good point Biggs.

No it isn't.

Sure it is.  Whether you'd like to admit it or not, there are people questioning the legitimacy of interview because of this rule.  Sorry, but that's reality.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#33 : January 05, 2012, 10:51:24 AM

good point Biggs.

No it isn't. So scrap the rule so people don't question the motives of teams interviewing a clearly qualified candidate? Seems like your problems, not the league's. If you conclude that Gray is simply a Rooney rule guy without looking at his resume, then who cares what you think. If you look at what Gray has done and conclude that he's unqualified, then who cares what you think. The truth is that the guy is more qualified than many of the names trotted out there by a lot of people on this message board. Rob Chudzinski, Rick Dennison, Russ Grimm, and Jay Gruden just to name a few. So if you are concluding it's a farce just because he's black, then you are the reason the rule is needed to begin with.

***STANDING OVATION!!!!!***
Well Said Sir.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 05, 2012, 10:56:27 AM

good point Biggs.

No it isn't.

Sure it is.  Whether you'd like to admit it or not, there are people questioning the legitimacy of interview because of this rule.  Sorry, but that's reality.

Not disputing that it's a reality, disputing that it's a good point. It doesn't matter what people who oppose the rule think about the interview. It's clear that if you are making this argument for someone with Gray's resume, you'd make it for anyone who was being interviewed who wasn't white. The fact still remains that Gray is a qualified candidate. He is longer tenured and has had more success than many of the people listed on this board as worthy candidates, so the fact that he is qualified and virtually no one named him as being a candidate just strengthens the legitimacy of why the rule is necessary.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#35 : January 05, 2012, 11:01:43 AM

good point Biggs.

No it isn't.

The only reason someone with a clue would question the legitimacy of the interview is because it could be a difficult sell for the Glazers to say we're going from one young, black defensive coach to another, like when they rejected hiring Marvin Lewis in 2002. If you actually look at Gray's resume, he has just as much or more going for him than any of the other candidates who have never been head coaches.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 05, 2012, 11:06:15 AM

he is either one of two things:  a Rooney Rule interview or legitimately one of the half dozen guys the Bucs are seriously considering.  If he is the latter then it just goes to show the Rooney Rule isn't needed.  If he is the former then yes it is a farce.  The rules existence along with the fact he's not even coming to Tampa and that he's being interviewed first and that while qualified isn't considered by anyone a hot list candidate makes me and others question the motivations of the Bucs for conducting the interview.  If the rule didn't exist there would be no question.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 05, 2012, 11:07:03 AM

FTR, I'm not arguing against Gray's resume.  I like him quite a bit, but the reality of the situation is some people will question whether he got the interview because of the color of the his skin or if he actually earned the interview.  That's the biggest problem with the stupid rule.  Gray won't be given full credit because that fact that teams have to interview a minority will be in the back of people's minds.

So yes CBW, it's a good and valid point.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 05, 2012, 11:07:38 AM

good point Biggs.

No it isn't.

The only reason someone with a clue would question the legitimacy of the interview is because it could be a difficult sell for the Glazers to say we're going from one young, black defensive coach to another, like when they rejected hiring Marvin Lewis in 2002.

Hit it on the head.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 05, 2012, 11:17:39 AM

he is either one of two things:  a Rooney Rule interview or legitimately one of the half dozen guys the Bucs are seriously considering.  If he is the latter then it just goes to show the Rooney Rule isn't needed.  If he is the former then yes it is a farce. 

Why do those two things have to be mutually exclusive? He can't be both? If you are forced to look at a minority candidate, a wise man would opt to look at the most qualified one, which arguably, Gray is. The Bucs will likely interview about a half dozen candidates before they settle on one. If Gray is the only minority they interview, then that would mean that 4 white candidates were interviewed and passed on as well. Does that make their interviews a farce too? What makes you think that Gray is being considered any less than the other candidates that ultimately don't get hired?

The rules existence along with the fact he's not even coming to Tampa and that he's being interviewed first and that while qualified isn't considered by anyone a hot list candidate makes me and others question the motivations of the Bucs for conducting the interview.  If the rule didn't exist there would be no question.

As stated before, that's your problem. Who cares if he is or if he isn't? The guy's resume speaks for itself. If Eric Yarber or Jimmy Lake is landing interviews due to the rule, then that would make it a farce. If a qualified candidate like Gray is, then that means it's working as intended.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 05, 2012, 12:11:21 PM

he is either one of two things:  a Rooney Rule interview or legitimately one of the half dozen guys the Bucs are seriously considering.  If he is the latter then it just goes to show the Rooney Rule isn't needed.  If he is the former then yes it is a farce. 

It is not a farce. What the rule does is give exposure to minority candidates. This can help them improve their position whether it's as HC or a lower position down the ladder a bit such as a coordinator. Occasionally one of the candidates will "wow" a club yet not be hired and subsequently be hired or promoted by another club. Not that this would ever happen in Tampa.

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

ryan24

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 05, 2012, 12:12:49 PM

That's the biggest problem with the stupid rule. 

What is your answer to the "problem"?

Happy and Peppy and Bursting with love.

jaybuc88

Pro Bowler
#42 : January 05, 2012, 12:15:27 PM

I know nothing about the guy...maybe he would be a fit for this team. What's his resume like? what experiance does he have? lets start there

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 05, 2012, 12:16:57 PM

I know nothing about the guy...maybe he would be a fit for this team. What's his resume like? what experiance does he have? lets start there

Played for the Bucs back in the day.  3 time Pro Bowler later in his career.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#44 : January 05, 2012, 12:21:18 PM

I like him quite a bit, but the reality of the situation is some people will question whether he got the interview because of the color of the his skin or if he actually earned the interview.  That's the biggest problem with the stupid rule. 

If the "biggest problem" with the rule, is that some people (whoever they might be: media, fans, etc.) will question why he got the interview, then that's a very weak arguement to get rid of it. In this instance,  the good FAR outweigh the bad.

If the hiring practices of an organization were different then I would be opposed to the Rooney Rule. For instance, if teams were ONLY allowed to interview 5 candidates for it's head coaching vacancy, and the league determined that 1 of the 5 has to be a minority, then I would agree, it would be a stupid rule. But because a team can interview however many candidates it feels it needs to, I see no problem with the rule. That minority candidate isn't taking a spot away from someone who could have been more qualified, he's simply being given an opportunity (that history has shown) he previously wouldn't have gotten to impress an organization enough to hire him, based not on his skin color, but by his own merits.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs will interview Jerry Gray in Houston « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools