Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NEW CHIDI AHANOTU COLUMN: WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG? A LIST OF SUSPECTS « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 05, 2012, 08:52:35 PM

Love your insight, Chidi, even if I don't always agree with it.

If anyone thinks blowing up the whole roster and starting over again is out of the question, then you are not being honest with yourselves. The entire team played horrible this year, and every single player is suspect. I love Blount, Freeman, and Williams, but they had better show marked improvement next year to prove to me that it was the coaching/scheme and not the talent.

I'm not giving up on them, but I don't trust in them like I used to.

McCoy, Foster, Clayborn, Price and Bowers all played well at different times, but were hampered by inexperience and scheme.

Before you say anything about McCoy, he was performing like one of the best DTs in the NFL before he got hurt. Go look at the tape and you'll see.

PewterReportChidi

Rookie
#16 : January 05, 2012, 09:02:16 PM

Thanks GrimReaper. Love your posts.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 05, 2012, 09:06:16 PM

Chidi, do you think Freeman's attitude contributed to the collapse? It seemed like all he did was cry and whine at teammates and blame others while putting up horrible numbers. And some of the quotes from when Josh Johnson started (I don't agree with them) just seemed to hint at the team quitting on Josh and getting tired of his act.

I think Freeman and other of "Rah's boys" lead this team into the ground. Thoughts?

Ft Myers Buc Fan

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 05, 2012, 09:17:26 PM

I think Freeman knew he was completely safe and insulated while Morris was the HC.  I think in a sense, he was too comfortable.  I think having a new HC in place that didn't hand pick him will snap Freeman back into reality to a degree and add some pressure and focus to his preparation which I think will be a good thing

PewterReportChidi

Rookie
#19 : January 05, 2012, 09:17:31 PM

Chidi, do you think Freeman's attitude contributed to the collapse? It seemed like all he did was cry and whine at teammates and blame others while putting up horrible numbers. And some of the quotes from when Josh Johnson started (I don't agree with them) just seemed to hint at the team quitting on Josh and getting tired of his act.

I think Freeman and other of "Rah's boys" lead this team into the ground. Thoughts?

BucsFan40, I spoke to a quarterback who used to play for the Bucs. He expressed your same sentiments. He said he spoke to Freeman about the way he conducts himself but I guess it looks like it fell on deaf ears. People say he's only 23 and excuse him for a lot. Frankly my dear...I don't give a darn. In the NFL you gotta grow up fast and in a hurry!

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 05, 2012, 09:23:43 PM

I won't make excuses for Freeman. He flat out simply threw the ball terrible this year. I'm not talking about plays where receivers weren't open. I'm talking about the fact that anything past 6 or 7 yards(not a check down to Graham or Lumpkin) was behind, too high, too far in front, or over his target. He was throwing horrible plain and simple. There was not enough talent around him, that is for sure, but I'm not letting him off the hook for what I saw. I've been at games where I've seen him miss the fact that Briscoe was wide open plenty of times, and I've been to multiple practices at OneBuc where he was throwing horrible back then.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#21 : January 05, 2012, 09:25:48 PM

I think Freeman knew he was completely safe and insulated while Morris was the HC.  I think in a sense, he was too comfortable.  I think having a new HC in place that didn't hand pick him will snap Freeman back into reality to a degree and add some pressure and focus to his preparation which I think will be a good thing

You could be right and that could help.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 05, 2012, 09:29:49 PM

BucsFan40, I spoke to a quarterback who used to play for the Bucs. He expressed your same sentiments. He said he spoke to Freeman about the way he conducts himself but I guess it looks like it fell on deaf ears. People say he's only 23 and excuse him for a lot. Frankly my dear...I don't give a darn. In the NFL you gotta grow up fast and in a hurry!
Chidi, thanks for re-iterating that. A lot of people like to use his age as an excuse. I thought if anything he regressed in terms of maturity this year. I hope I'm wrong. I like Freeman's talent. But body language goes a long way toward success and failure in sports.

In Verner We Trust

GoldsonAges

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 05, 2012, 09:33:38 PM

That is some great insight into your position on Freeman. I get it now. That is the issue I have had with him is his leadership. When things break down he loses his cool and embarasses players. I remember an incident with Zuttah last year where he just went ballistic, ripped off his helmet, and started yelling full out at Z. It's one thing to correct a guy, but when you treat grown men like children you lose respect.

In contrast I was watching GB two weeks ago and the RB ran the wrong way on a running play. Rodgers tucked the ball in and ran it where the play was supposed to be run, and got up and was pissed. But he didn't lose his cool. He told the players what he was supposed to do, and that was that. It's really a fine line that a leader needs to walk to retain credibility. This goes for coaches, too IMO. There is a difference between being a disciplinarian and being an ass.....it's all about respect.

Mike Glennon
6\' 7\" 220 pounds.
6\' 6\" 210
6\' 5\" 200
6\' 4\" 190 6\' 3\" 180 6\' 2\" 170 6\' 1\" 160  6\' 0\" 150 How does he compare to your favorite QB?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#24 : January 05, 2012, 09:34:57 PM

Raheem should not get all the blame

He should get most of it.   This team is in turmoil and it's due to lack of discipline.   Raheem's main job was to instill discipline and motivation his players.   He had 3 years and he failed so miserably that this team isn't even competitive anymore.   

In my opinion,  this article makes no sense.   First it's said that the coaches in the early to mid 90's were not football intelligent (lead by former superbowl head coach Sam Wyche who was known as an offensive genius and innovator, and defensive coordinator Floyd Peters who had been a pro bowl defensive lineman who had played in the NFL over 10 years and had coached for many years, including many years as defensive coordinator for the Vikings where 2 of those years they were the top rated defense in the entire NFL.)   

Sure, in Chidi's first season on the Bucs, the defensive line coaches back then didn't appear to be that great and the defensive players pretty much sucked at that time other than Hardy and the guys in the secondary like Ricky Reynolds.    But the coaches at the top were very experienced.     For sure though, the addition of Rod Marinelli as defensive line coach in 96 rather than Ken Clarke in 95 was a fantastic upgrade.   Dungy's assistants on defense were top notch (on offense, they were a downgrade).

I thought the main problem with those teams in the early to mid 90's was that Ray Perkins had gutted the team.   The players on that roster had little talent due to years of incompetent player personnel decisions during the Perkins years.   It took Wyche a few years to get some players in there.   By 1995, the team was getting some talent in the house.    By that time however,  the players had lost faith in the system due to too much failure and Wyche and staff needed to be replaced.   (Same as Morris needed to be replaced this year).    Although I think Wyche was a far superior coach compared to Raheem...

To start that article saying the coaches sucked in the 90's and the players sucked as well, so replacing them all was necessary and that needs to happen again is not accurate.   As I mentioned, when Wyche came to the Bucs, they had very little talent, so he did start replacing the players.   By 1995, there was some serious upcoming talent on that team (which resulted in some wins starting in the late 90's under Dungy, but the key players were acquired during the Wyche years).    They did replace the coaching staff in 96 and I do think that the defensive coaching staff of Dungy with Kiffin and his assistants was an upgrade over Peters and his assistants, but they did not get rid of their young players.   

What I get from this article is that Chidi is pissed off that Raheem got fired, so he wants everyone else fired as well.     

This 2011 team is closer to the 95 season ending team than it is to the 92 season ending team.   I'm not sure what the love affair was with Raheem, but he's gone now so we might as well look at how to fix this problem without worrying if he was done wrong or not.    I do agree, that there are many players on this team that need to go, but to say blow everything up and fire everyone since they fired Raheem is ridiculous.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 05, 2012, 09:35:32 PM

In todays game the talent that I would want my QB is deadly accuracy, or duel threat, a good passer, and a good runner. Freeman isn't a good passer, but he could at least do some stuff running the ball and passing out of the run if we had him moving more. Coaches failed at using him the right way to get the best out of what he offers. I hope these new coaches change the offensive system. If Freeman see's an opening and guns for it that alone would change the way defenses play. Keep the defense thinking that its possible that this big mother effer might make a run fot it.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 05, 2012, 09:44:19 PM

Raheem should not get all the blame

He should get most of it.   This team is in turmoil and it's due to lack of discipline.   Raheem's main job was to instill discipline and motivation his players.   He had 3 years and he failed so miserably that this team isn't even competitive anymore.   

In my opinion,  this article makes no sense.   First it's said that the coaches in the early to mid 90's were not football intelligent (lead by former superbowl head coach Sam Wyche who was known as an offensive genius and innovator, and defensive coordinator Floyd Peters who had been a pro bowl defensive lineman who had played in the NFL over 10 years and had coached for many years, including many years as defensive coordinator for the Vikings where 2 of those years they were the top rated defense in the entire NFL.)   

Sure, in Chidi's first season on the Bucs, the defensive line coaches back then didn't appear to be that great and the defensive players pretty much sucked at that time other than Hardy and the guys in the secondary like Ricky Reynolds.    But the coaches at the top were very experienced.     For sure though, the addition of Rod Marinelli as defensive line coach in 96 rather than Ken Clarke in 95 was a fantastic upgrade.   Dungy's assistants on defense were top notch (on offense, they were a downgrade).

I thought the main problem with those teams in the early to mid 90's was that Ray Perkins had gutted the team.   The players on that roster had little talent due to years of incompetent player personnel decisions during the Perkins years.   It took Wyche a few years to get some players in there.   By 1995, the team was getting some talent in the house.    By that time however,  the players had lost faith in the system due to too much failure and Wyche and staff needed to be replaced.   (Same as Morris needed to be replaced this year).    Although I think Wyche was a far superior coach compared to Raheem...

To start that article saying the coaches sucked in the 90's and the players sucked as well, so replacing them all was necessary and that needs to happen again is not accurate.   As I mentioned, when Wyche came to the Bucs, they had very little talent, so he did start replacing the players.   By 1995, there was some serious upcoming talent on that team (which resulted in some wins starting in the late 90's under Dungy, but the key players were acquired during the Wyche years).    They did replace the coaching staff in 96 and I do think that the defensive coaching staff of Dungy with Kiffin and his assistants was an upgrade over Peters and his assistants, but they did not get rid of their young players.   

What I get from this article is that Chidi is pissed off that Raheem got fired, so he wants everyone else fired as well.     

This 2011 team is closer to the 95 season ending team than it is to the 92 season ending team.   I'm not sure what the love affair was with Raheem, but he's gone now so we might as well look at how to fix this problem without worrying if he was done wrong or not.    I do agree, that there are many players on this team that need to go, but to say blow everything up and fire everyone since they fired Raheem is ridiculous.

You both pretty much want the same thing though. He wants to "blow everything up" and you think that the Bucs should trade for Tebow. They would both produce the same short term result but Chidi's approach has more promising future results when compared to yours. Spare me the "Tebow is in the playoffs" comeback. If that is your true thinking then that's all I'll need to not respect any of your insight.  I would normally respect your insight because you are a smart person.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#27 : January 05, 2012, 09:46:13 PM

Chidi's recommendation is fire the entire team and entire front office.

My recommendation is trade Freeman for Tebow.   Trade Blount.  Draft Richardson.    Trade Winslow,    Trade Talib.   

How does his way have more promising results?

ONEBIGDADDY

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 05, 2012, 09:49:16 PM

Readers are asking why I did not list Raheem as a suspect. Simply because Raheem is already fired. But for all those making excuses for the suspects I listed as a reason to retain them., the same excuses should apply to Raheem and give reason for retaining him. Saying that Josh Freeman IF he had faster receivers, faster RBs, better OC, and better HC, then the same can be said about Raheem and his coaching staff. To say that Mark Dominik, IF he had owners in the Glazers that would spend more money to acquire talent, then the same can be said about Raheem and his coaching staff. We all know Raheem and his coaches are to blame partly for the bad results this season. If you fire Raheem and his coaches for the terrible season then you should fire all those responsible.
Chidi,
I appreciate your insight in where most of us Arm Chair QB's have mainly played football in the backyard dreaming of being Namith and Marino etc... Anytime I read one of your columns I know you can't cover all the aspects and I enjoy reading from one who has been on the battlefield of football. We all knew Raheem was suspect and its all good. The one's who don't hopefully with grasp it soon...OBD

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 05, 2012, 09:56:54 PM

C'mon Grim Reaper, I expected more from you. Yes I did say stay the course with Raheem in previous articles. But in this article my point is that since Raheem was fired and blamed for the losing then ALL those who are responsible should now go too. Making Raheem and his coaching staff take all the blame simply is not truthful. As for Biggs3535 question about Jerry Gray as a head coach I can say this: Jerry Gray was not only my coach (defensive coordinator) at Buffalo, we also played together on the Buccaneers. Jerry was one guy who was a true leader and true warrior on the field. He was also a helluva a leader as defensive coordinator. Our defensive players he had to work with were not the greatest so we did not see great results. To consider Jerry Gray as a head coach I would think he would show the same great leadership skills that he did as a player and a defensive coordinator....where is Jerry anyway???

You don't know he was interviewed for the HC position?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: NEW CHIDI AHANOTU COLUMN: WHERE DID IT ALL GO WRONG? A LIST OF SUSPECTS « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools