Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Employee Office Gossip-Not Who You Think ! « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9

freddy

Hall of Famer
#120 : January 06, 2012, 10:05:37 PM

Well all I can say is there are a lot of people in and around both Dallas and San Fran and elsewhere that the owners there don't think like you. Eliminating an entire group of people because a few of them failed is just silly.
I'd say it's more like most of them have failed. Think of it like this. Tom Brady is one of the best QB's of all time and he was a 6th round pick, so if you need a QB should you look for him in the 6th round of the draft, where Brady came from, or should you use a high 1st round pick on a QB where just about all the other good QB's come from? If it's me, I'm doing what has been proven to be my best chance. Same with coaches. We know the vast majority of successful NFL head coaches were successful NFL assistant coaches first. That's the group you should be looking at. Don't try and buck the system and outsmart everyone. Do what everyone else does; just do it better.

Additionally, as Dal said, the few college coaches who have done well in the NFL generally come from mid level schools where they don't have the greatest talent but are able to coach up the talent they do have to compete with the more talented teams. That's why when NFL people talk about potential crossover coaches, they almost always mention Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, who has never and will never win a national championship, but people feel he gets more out of his players than what they'd normally be capable of and that's the kind of skill most useful in pro football.

Lastly the most successful college head coaches make $4-5 million per year and generally have floating extensions with 4 additional years of guaranteed pay due to them at all times. To get a college coach to leave that, you have to give them more, and as a NFL owner that kind of commitment just puts you in too poor a position to make a quick move if things aren't working out. If you hire a completely unproven coach who turns into Bobby Petrino, you don't want to have to stick it out with him for 3-4 years because you can't swallow paying him $20 million to go away. Former NFL assistants don't cost that much so when things go south like they did with Morris, you can cut the cord pretty easily.

So again, using your words this time, since most of them have failed, never again should anyone ever get a chance. So, does that also mean you think that since every black coach in the history of the NFL except one has failed to win a SB that no longer should a black coach ever be given a chance? Same basic principle. You are basing someones future not on his resume but for the sole reason that he belongs to a certain group. That is two for ya FRG. Remember, you also said if a player was drafted by Gruden then he stinks as a player, not because of his talent (or lack of) but for the mere fact that he was drafted by Gruden. You have some of the most closed thinking I know.

Just curious, are there any other group of people that you also consider not worthy?

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#121 : January 07, 2012, 12:02:37 AM

The fact that a handful of people on this board actually think we should hire Les Miles really explains a lot about some of the mind-numbing posts I see around here.

wolfet

Pro Bowler

#122 : January 07, 2012, 12:15:56 AM

I like what Billick would bring, but think he might be a pompous prick.  However, sometimes you learn and change.  The retreads are looking fairly shaking, but someonw brought up Marucci before and I remember the Glazers where in hot pursuit when he was in San Fran.  He is an offensive mind that would be a good HC.  Mularky just does not impress me that much and he resigned as the BIlls HC.  I heard on Sports radio this week that the Atlanta offense really picked up when he gave more control to Matt Ryan to call plays at the line.  Mike Zimmer really is growing on me and if you are going the OC or DC route he is about as experienced as they come.  He has had the opportunity to learn from many coaches and can fix our D.  He has many connections to put together a solid staff so I am not worried about that.  l love Marty Schottenheimer, but doubt that is happenning.  Of all the candidates I think Zimmer is the best to work with Dom.  He has worked well with some very strong personalities in the past and being this is a promotion he is not going to be able to mandate that he has control over all decisions, but he is experienced enough that Dom would have to listen to his input because of his deep knowledge of the game.

AlstottUpTheGut

Starter

#123 : January 07, 2012, 06:00:15 AM

Well all I can say is there are a lot of people in and around both Dallas and San Fran and elsewhere that the owners there don't think like you. Eliminating an entire group of people because a few of them failed is just silly.
I'd say it's more like most of them have failed. Think of it like this. Tom Brady is one of the best QB's of all time and he was a 6th round pick, so if you need a QB should you look for him in the 6th round of the draft, where Brady came from, or should you use a high 1st round pick on a QB where just about all the other good QB's come from? If it's me, I'm doing what has been proven to be my best chance. Same with coaches. We know the vast majority of successful NFL head coaches were successful NFL assistant coaches first. That's the group you should be looking at. Don't try and buck the system and outsmart everyone. Do what everyone else does; just do it better.

Additionally, as Dal said, the few college coaches who have done well in the NFL generally come from mid level schools where they don't have the greatest talent but are able to coach up the talent they do have to compete with the more talented teams. That's why when NFL people talk about potential crossover coaches, they almost always mention Iowa's Kirk Ferentz, who has never and will never win a national championship, but people feel he gets more out of his players than what they'd normally be capable of and that's the kind of skill most useful in pro football.

Lastly the most successful college head coaches make $4-5 million per year and generally have floating extensions with 4 additional years of guaranteed pay due to them at all times. To get a college coach to leave that, you have to give them more, and as a NFL owner that kind of commitment just puts you in too poor a position to make a quick move if things aren't working out. If you hire a completely unproven coach who turns into Bobby Petrino, you don't want to have to stick it out with him for 3-4 years because you can't swallow paying him $20 million to go away. Former NFL assistants don't cost that much so when things go south like they did with Morris, you can cut the cord pretty easily.

So again, using your words this time, since most of them have failed, never again should anyone ever get a chance. So, does that also mean you think that since every black coach in the history of the NFL except one has failed to win a SB that no longer should a black coach ever be given a chance? Same basic principle. You are basing someones future not on his resume but for the sole reason that he belongs to a certain group. That is two for ya FRG. Remember, you also said if a player was drafted by Gruden then he stinks as a player, not because of his talent (or lack of) but for the mere fact that he was drafted by Gruden. You have some of the most closed thinking I know.

Just curious, are there any other group of people that you also consider not worthy?

I would throw women in as a group as well...

1. Donald
2. Bridgewater
3. Landry
5. Abbrederis
6. Lyerla

gone

Hall of Famer
#124 : January 07, 2012, 06:11:20 AM

I like what Billick would bring, but think he might be a pompous prick.  However, sometimes you learn and change.  The retreads are looking fairly shaking, but someonw brought up Marucci before and I remember the Glazers where in hot pursuit when he was in San Fran.  He is an offensive mind that would be a good HC.  Mularky just does not impress me that much and he resigned as the BIlls HC.  I heard on Sports radio this week that the Atlanta offense really picked up when he gave more control to Matt Ryan to call plays at the line.  Mike Zimmer really is growing on me and if you are going the OC or DC route he is about as experienced as they come.  He has had the opportunity to learn from many coaches and can fix our D.  He has many connections to put together a solid staff so I am not worried about that.  l love Marty Schottenheimer, but doubt that is happenning.  Of all the candidates I think Zimmer is the best to work with Dom.  He has worked well with some very strong personalities in the past and being this is a promotion he is not going to be able to mandate that he has control over all decisions, but he is experienced enough that Dom would have to listen to his input because of his deep knowledge of the game.

Gonna bump this, as it make a lot of sense.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#125 : January 07, 2012, 07:45:16 AM

The fact that a handful of people on this board actually think we should hire Les Miles really explains a lot about some of the mind-numbing posts I see around here.

The fact that so many people would just dismiss even considering a coach with a superior winning record explains the rest of the mind numbing posts around here too.

Oh BTW, that's called a difference of opinion. Sorry everyone does not agree with you 100%.

sailor25

Rookie
#126 : January 07, 2012, 11:19:05 AM

Dirka!!!!

Condor Bastadon

Starter

#127 : January 07, 2012, 12:23:44 PM

I still see Greg Olson getting the job. I just can't imagine the Glazers actually spending money on a coach if they don't have to.
Page: 1 ... 7 8 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Bucs Employee Office Gossip-Not Who You Think ! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools