Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brian Billick on the radio with SillyHo 1/6 « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 06, 2012, 11:57:44 PM

I wish you'd not root against him, Java. What if a good coach improves him?

Let me put it this way...just because Rah made him look bad doesn't mean he can't get good help from another. ;)

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 06, 2012, 11:58:29 PM

I just don't see the love affair with Billick. I mean our Super Bowl year, we had an offense (when Brad was healthy) that could absolutely tear teams up, especially when we got the lead and went to Alstott and Cook in the backfield. Brad had 22 TDs and only 6 INTs that year only playing in 13 games. Billick's offense was literally incompetent his Super Bowl year.

He could never develop an offense as a HC in Baltimore. Why would he be able to do it here?

By hiring a good OC.
And his track record in Baltimore says he'll do that. Dominik's eye for coaching talent says he'll do that. I'm sorry, but Billick is a fraud. Go get Chip Kelly.

Fraud at what?   We don't need the new HC to be a QB guru. He needs to a real HC, large and in charge.  He can hire a good OC or QB coach, the HC doesn't have to be an X's and O's guy.
Billick won a ring 11 years ago. He had 11 years to develop a QB and never did. He busted on Kyle Boller. Joe Flacco is nothing special. He didn't hire great offensive assistants and basically rode Rex Ryan defensively along with more HOFers than you can ask for. I'm sorry, but anyone could have had success with taht defense. The fact that he didn't ever put a real offense there says something to me. I like Billick as an announcer, I just don't think he'd be the right guy. We have a young team of guys who basically just got out of college. Go get a college coach.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 06, 2012, 11:59:13 PM

I wish you'd not root against him, Java. What if a good coach improves him?

Let me put it this way...just because Rah made him look bad doesn't mean he can't get good help from another. ;)
The fact that Rah saw talent in him is enough for me to think he sucks  :P

ABuccsFan

Pro Bowler

#33 : January 07, 2012, 12:46:41 AM

http://www.620wdae.com/player/?station=WDAE-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=DanSileo.xml&mid=21706827

PLEASE, hire this man!!

Now there is no chance since you posted that. You know thats how it works with you.

Au contraire.    Hate was one of the first ones on here to recommend that the Glazers fire Gruden and promote Raheem Morris at the end of the 2008 season.   He got his wish then, who says it won't happen again this time?

See, this is what's flawed with the thinkin of yourself and your troll-like brethren. Did i want Gruden fired, hell yea... years ago. Did i state fire Gruden to promote Raheem? Lord knows you've saved everything i've posted on this board.... so post it.
That is an absolute lie. I know for a fact Hate wasn't even excited when Raheem was hired. He took the wait and see attitude and hoped for the sake of the team it was the right hire.

\"For a brief, shining, moment in history, a select breed truly lived free.\".....Unknown Author.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 07, 2012, 01:05:24 AM

http://www.620wdae.com/player/?station=WDAE-AM&program_name=podcast&program_id=DanSileo.xml&mid=21706827

PLEASE, hire this man!!

Now there is no chance since you posted that. You know thats how it works with you.

Au contraire.    Hate was one of the first ones on here to recommend that the Glazers fire Gruden and promote Raheem Morris at the end of the 2008 season.   He got his wish then, who says it won't happen again this time?

See, this is what's flawed with the thinkin of yourself and your troll-like brethren. Did i want Gruden fired, hell yea... years ago. Did i state fire Gruden to promote Raheem? Lord knows you've saved everything i've posted on this board.... so post it.
That is an absolute lie. I know for a fact Hate wasn't even excited when Raheem was hired. He took the wait and see attitude and hoped for the sake of the team it was the right hire.

Java lie?   No way.    [sarcasm]

ABuccsFan

Pro Bowler

#35 : January 07, 2012, 01:11:41 AM

I just don't see the love affair with Billick. I mean our Super Bowl year, we had an offense (when Brad was healthy) that could absolutely tear teams up,
Seriously? 4 games that season, the Offense didn't score a TD. 1 game without Brad, 3 games with Brad. 2 games the offense could only muster 1 TD. 1 without Brad and one with Brad.

\"For a brief, shining, moment in history, a select breed truly lived free.\".....Unknown Author.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 07, 2012, 01:12:18 AM

Faine and Trueblood don't suck. James Lee sucks.

All three of them suck...especially Trueblood, a solid run blocker, an absolute liability in pass blocking.

Funny how you think Trueblood is an absolute liability in pass blocking and he "especially" sucks, but when he went out against the Falcons, the Falcons ate his replacements alive in pass protection.

It stands to reason that a bad starter would have even worse backups behind him.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#37 : January 07, 2012, 01:18:40 AM

Faine and Trueblood don't suck. James Lee sucks.

All three of them suck...especially Trueblood, a solid run blocker, an absolute liability in pass blocking.

Funny how you think Trueblood is an absolute liability in pass blocking and he "especially" sucks, but when he went out against the Falcons, the Falcons ate his replacements alive in pass protection.

It stands to reason that a bad starter would have even worse backups behind him.

LOL

tbc_bucs

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 07, 2012, 02:16:16 AM

I just don't see the love affair with Billick. I mean our Super Bowl year, we had an offense (when Brad was healthy) that could absolutely tear teams up, especially when we got the lead and went to Alstott and Cook in the backfield. Brad had 22 TDs and only 6 INTs that year only playing in 13 games. Billick's offense was literally incompetent his Super Bowl year.

He could never develop an offense as a HC in Baltimore. Why would he be able to do it here?

By hiring a good OC.
And his track record in Baltimore says he'll do that. Dominik's eye for coaching talent says he'll do that. I'm sorry, but Billick is a fraud. Go get Chip Kelly.

Fraud at what?   We don't need the new HC to be a QB guru. He needs to a real HC, large and in charge.  He can hire a good OC or QB coach, the HC doesn't have to be an X's and O's guy.
Billick won a ring 11 years ago. He had 11 years to develop a QB and never did. He busted on Kyle Boller. Joe Flacco is nothing special. He didn't hire great offensive assistants and basically rode Rex Ryan defensively along with more HOFers than you can ask for. I'm sorry, but anyone could have had success with taht defense. The fact that he didn't ever put a real offense there says something to me. I like Billick as an announcer, I just don't think he'd be the right guy. We have a young team of guys who basically just got out of college. Go get a college coach.

Heres something that everyone forgets about billick..... that team had so much tied up in the defense. There wasnt much money to spend offensively. Billick, similarly to Gruden, took that defense and ran with it. say what you want but he did enough to win, consistently. In a tough division.

I am for Billiock, the guys smart and he will get these guys playing. He lets his defensive coordinators coordinate, he had many good coaches over the years. In part the players made those coordinators look good but there were some excellent and respectable coaches under his tree.

The more I think about it the more i like it. Honestly I wasnt too keen on it just a few weeks ago

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 07, 2012, 03:42:37 AM

lol, you just make crap up because you dont know squat. All of those crappy QBs lead offenses that were in the top half of the league every year except the 2 Jim Fassel was the coordinator. Getting that kind of production out of guys like Boller, Dilfer, Anthony Wright, and an old broken down McNair is pretty impressive. Another thing to note was the amount of success the TE had in a receiving role in his offenses.

No one ever got any where near the production out of those QBs before or after their time on the Ravens.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 07, 2012, 03:48:23 AM

When Billick fired Fassel, the team went 13-3 with Billick calling the plays and finished with the 12th ranked offense in scoring with McNair and Boller almost splitting the games that year. Yeah the defense was great, but getting that kind of production off of those crappy QBs is impressive. Most every year Billick was the coacj, he also had 2 QBs practically splitting games due to injury.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#41 : January 07, 2012, 03:55:44 AM

Getting that kind of production out of guys like Boller, Dilfer, Anthony Wright, and an old broken down McNair is pretty impressive.

No one ever got any where near the production out of those QBs before or after their time on the Ravens.

I don't know about that.   Dilfer had a better year in 1997 with the Bucs.     I still think Billick deciding to go with Elvis Grbac rather than Trent Dilfer the year after that superbowl win was one of the dumbest moves in NFL history.   As a matter of fact, I was watching an NFL special on that not too long ago and that move was rated the 3rd dumbest move ever.   Rod Woodson (on the Ravens at the time) was part of that show saying it was the dumbest thing he'd ever seen and it cost the Ravens a chance at another superbowl.   

Billick is one of those guys who screams at his QB all the time.   I'm not so sure Freeman could handle that.   

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#42 : January 07, 2012, 06:05:11 AM

Um, what exactly did he do with QBs in Baltimore?

DIlfer was a game manager.
Boler sucked
McNair was ok but I highly doubt Billick had anything to do with that.
Flacco is/was bleh

I just don't see it.

What does Flacco have to do with anything?
He's a Harbaugh guy.

Dilfer was put in the best situations for the team and it resulted in a Super Bowl.
Boller, remember that no matter how much you polish a turd it's still a turd but note that his best years were under Billick.
McNair was basically a one year starter due to injury and the Ravens go 13-3. that's more wins than the year before and after combined. Also consider that they started 4-2 the year after when McNair was healthy and 1-9 the rest of the year.

Seems he did the best that could be done with what he was given.

TBTrojan

Hall of Famer
#43 : January 07, 2012, 06:37:49 AM

]Billick won a ring 11 years ago. He had 11 years to develop a QB and never did. He busted on Kyle Boller. Joe Flacco is nothing special. He didn't hire great offensive assistants and basically rode Rex Ryan defensively along with more HOFers than you can ask for. I'm sorry, but anyone could have had success with taht defense. The fact that he didn't ever put a real offense there says something to me. I like Billick as an announcer, I just don't think he'd be the right guy. We have a young team of guys who basically just got out of college. Go get a college coach.

Again with the Flacco talk.
When you show multiple times you don't really know what you are talking about your point lacks credibility.

As far as riding Rex Ryans defense, who do you think hired/promoted Ryan?
Ryan was working at Kansas State before Billick gave him a call about being the Ravens DL coach.
It's not like Rex was DC Billicks entire run in Baltimore either, it was just 3 years.
The fact that their D has been great despite countless new DC shows that the right DCs were hired to replace the old one.
Lewis - Nolan - Ryan
You don't think Billick was the one who picked his coaching staff, the fact that three of his DCs went on to be head coaches says a lot about the staff he would put together and we wouldn't see anymore of this record breaking abomination called the Bucs defense.

There is one comment from a decade ago that Billick made which stands out in my mind to this date...
"'When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in you carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose.'"
THAT is the kind of guy we need win a divison with the Saints, Falcons & Newton.

As far as him having a huge ego, too many confuse having confidence with having an ego...
I think we're a better football team than we were last year, in every sense, ... This could very well be the best football team we've had since I've been here, which in essence says that we think we are capable, playoff, Super Bowl-caliber team. However, we did not make the playoffs last year. We don't have the right to talk in those terms. We've got a lot of work to do.
An egomaniac would never have said the bolded part of that comment, he's a confident guy that happens to be very smart and that gets misinterpreted.
: January 07, 2012, 06:40:17 AM TBTrojan

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#44 : January 07, 2012, 07:33:43 AM

PLEASE, hire this man!!

Sorry, but it is absolutely not a lie.    Back before the forum was moved to this new format, and after Raheem had been hired as DC and he interviewed with the Broncos for the head coach position, I started a thread that was called something like "Fire Raheem now and get a DC that will stay around rather than leave to take a head coaching job next year".    In that thread, there was a lot of conversation about the fact that Raheem might leave to be a head coach after one year.   I was also attacked quite a lot in that thread for saying they should fire the ever so promising Raheem.    Hate made a comment in that thread that they might as well promote Raheem to head coach right then rather than wait a year to season him under Gruden.   

That thread has since been deleted because although it was many pages long, near the end of it there was a lot of name calling and foul language.   Too bad, that was an interesting thread.

I'm not saying he was thrilled about Raheem, but he was the first person I can remember even suggesting to replace Gruden with Raheem.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brian Billick on the radio with SillyHo 1/6 « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools