Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Convinced Richardson Should Be the Pick if Blackmon is Gone « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 07, 2012, 02:01:17 PM

These are my preferences, in order

1. Kalil(I realize this is next to impossible)
2. Claiborne(very unlikely)
3. Blackmon
4. Richardson
5. Trade down

#5 might be higher depending on the potential return, of course. And if the Browns don't take RG3, it could be quite a large one.

My problem with Blackmon is that he is not big enough to be an elite physical receiver, and he is not fast enough to be an elite speed receiver. Does he have just enough of each to be a combination "elite" receiver?  I tend to think that he is blown up a little bit due to the fact that there is very little receiver talent in this draft.

I agree that you'd like him to be a bit bigger, but he PLAYS big. I think we'll see from the combine that he's extremely strong. His speed also isn't ideal, but ~4.45(the rough average I've seen listed for him) is hardly slow either(both Fitz and Boldin didn't even hit 4.5). Most importantly, he's a tremendous route runner and has great hands, two things often overlooked because they aren't really something you can measure. But at the same time, it's what separates a Randy Moss from a Heyward-Bey.

To me, I think his ceiling is almost unlimited because he's quick enough and runs good enough routes to be a deep threat, but is strong enough to take some tough hits and get yards after the catch. I really think he can be effective in pretty much any route you can think of, something that can be said of very few WRs out there. The fact that it's difficult to really find a close NFL comparison to him is a good thing, I think. Teams will have a very tough time covering him because they won't be able to assume he'll only run certain types of routes.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 07, 2012, 02:03:31 PM

I think a locker room and community friendly TO would be a fair comparison.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 07, 2012, 02:06:59 PM

I had ESPN on last night and heard (wasn't looking at the TV) someone say that Blackmon was Dez Bryant with brain cells. Thought it was hilarious.

EDIT: aaaaand it appears someone made a thread about this comment about 30 minutes ago.
: January 07, 2012, 02:09:16 PM Captain Hindsight

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 07, 2012, 02:09:31 PM

I will be interested to see Blackmon's vert at the combine, but my gut feeling tells me he will surprise people.

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 07, 2012, 02:10:58 PM

He will, he doesn't have the killer size or speed. But what he did in College, doesn't happen by accident, we will see what he's about at the combine.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 07, 2012, 02:11:06 PM

I'd rather get Doug Martin in the 2nd or 3rd. I don't like spending top 10 picks on RBs. Bad investment imo due to their average life span and the fact that they won't make you any better without a good line.....BUT if we do draft Richardson, I hope we go OL in the 2nd and LB in the 3rd.

We desperately need LBs and CBs, but there are quite a few CBs in free agency this yea...not much at LB. We need draft a LB.

There will still be some very good OGs and OTs with the 4th pick of the 2nd round, and I think Lavonte David will slip to the third due to his size. Whatever the order, I'm hoping for OL, RB, LB in the first three rounds. Maybe even trade back for more picks if possible.

This team is dying for speed at WR. O-Line and CB's can all be found in free agency. I really don't think DeSean or Vincent Jackson or any big offensive threats will make it to free agency.

Even if we can get Blackmon, I'd like to see the Bucs also look for another WR with real speed later in the draft, and if we don't get Blackmon getting a WR who can stretch the field and open things up is even more paramount.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 07, 2012, 02:21:43 PM

I will be interested to see Blackmon's vert at the combine, but my gut feeling tells me he will surprise people.

Someone posted a clip from that Show Sports Science and his vertical there gave him a higher catch point than Plaxico Burress.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 07, 2012, 02:28:30 PM

Saints are in a similar situation.  They have to sign Brees, Colston and Nicks.  So chances are Nicks or Colston hit the market.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Colston. I think he will take a reasonable deal to stay in New Orleans. He is not going to get paid a ton anywhere with that knee, and he isn't going to have a QB like Brees anywhere else.

Colston has already stated that he will not take a "hometown" discount to stay with the Saints. I think he knows this is his best chance in his career for a payday and he already has a SB ring. Kinda hard for Brees to talk his "boys" into staying at a reduced pay when he is fixing to make big time jack.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 07, 2012, 02:30:44 PM

Saints are in a similar situation.  They have to sign Brees, Colston and Nicks.  So chances are Nicks or Colston hit the market.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Colston. I think he will take a reasonable deal to stay in New Orleans. He is not going to get paid a ton anywhere with that knee, and he isn't going to have a QB like Brees anywhere else.

Colston has already stated that he will not take a "hometown" discount to stay with the Saints. I think he knows this is his best chance in his career for a payday and he already has a SB ring. Kinda hard for Brees to talk his "boys" into staying at a reduced pay when he is fixing to make big time jack.

Would you want the Bucs to pay him? Without Brees Colston is Dez Briscoe with a bad knee.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 07, 2012, 02:57:04 PM

These are my preferences, in order

1. Kalil(I realize this is next to impossible)
2. Claiborne(very unlikely)
3. Blackmon
4. Richardson
5. Trade down

#5 might be higher depending on the potential return, of course. And if the Browns don't take RG3, it could be quite a large one.

My problem with Blackmon is that he is not big enough to be an elite physical receiver, and he is not fast enough to be an elite speed receiver. Does he have just enough of each to be a combination "elite" receiver?  I tend to think that he is blown up a little bit due to the fact that there is very little receiver talent in this draft.

I agree that you'd like him to be a bit bigger, but he PLAYS big. I think we'll see from the combine that he's extremely strong. His speed also isn't ideal, but ~4.45(the rough average I've seen listed for him) is hardly slow either(both Fitz and Boldin didn't even hit 4.5). Most importantly, he's a tremendous route runner and has great hands, two things often overlooked because they aren't really something you can measure. But at the same time, it's what separates a Randy Moss from a Heyward-Bey.

To me, I think his ceiling is almost unlimited because he's quick enough and runs good enough routes to be a deep threat, but is strong enough to take some tough hits and get yards after the catch. I really think he can be effective in pretty much any route you can think of, something that can be said of very few WRs out there. The fact that it's difficult to really find a close NFL comparison to him is a good thing, I think. Teams will have a very tough time covering him because they won't be able to assume he'll only run certain types of routes.

I have had enough of the "physical" YAC guys. This teams biggest need is a real speed threat, we have enough physical receivers that can't get by an average db.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 07, 2012, 03:58:42 PM

Bucs should get either Claiborne, Blackmon or Khalil. Luck and RG3 will go before 5.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 07, 2012, 04:03:22 PM

He had TD passes of 54, 48, 27, 43, and 67 yards this season, so he is capable of the occasional deep pass. But more importantly he's a HUGE short to middle threat, which will allow Williams, Benn, and Briscoe to have more success downfield as teams would be worried about Blackmon. And most importantly of all, he's close to unstoppable in the redzone. How many countless times did we get into the redzone this year and then go nowhere? Sure, a big reason for that was Greg Olson's terrible playcalling, but a lack of weapons was also a big reason.

I would definitely say that he isn't on the level of Fitz, AJ, and CJ...but I think he could be like a more consistent Dwayne Bowe or Boldin in his prime, and to me that would be more than worth it. RBs are virtually never taken in the top 5 because durability is always such a big question mark, and Claiborne(I'd be very surprised if the Vikes pass on him) and Kalil will most likely be gone. To me, that leaves Blackmon as the most logical option outside of potentially trading down, but since we won't be getting any calls like Dominik and our future coach, we don't really know what such a package would look like. I'd much rather take BPA that also happens to fill a hole than reaching for someone like Kirkpatrick. I guess I'd be okay with Reiff, but I still feel like he isn't top 5 material.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 07, 2012, 04:12:58 PM

Blackmon will run a better .40 time than Richardson. Also, LaMichael James and LeGarrette Blount create a dynamic duo in the backfield, especially when we get an OC who will actually use Blount in the passing game.

Blackmon can catch passes 3 feet behind him. Considering Freeman is so inaccurate, I like it.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 07, 2012, 04:18:26 PM

Would you want the Bucs to pay him? Without Brees Colston is Dez Briscoe with a bad knee.

Nope. I'd much rather get V Jax in FA personally. Just stating he won't take a pay cut to stay. Hopefully they lock him and brees up and let Nicks test the market. Now Nicks I would pay for lol.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 07, 2012, 04:28:22 PM

Blackmon will run a better .40 time than Richardson. Also, LaMichael James and LeGarrette Blount create a dynamic duo in the backfield, especially when we get an OC who will actually use Blount in the passing game.

Blackmon can catch passes 3 feet behind him. Considering Freeman is so inaccurate, I like it.

I don't know about that. My money for the better 40 time is on Richardson, although I think it will be close. I predict both will be around 4.45.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Convinced Richardson Should Be the Pick if Blackmon is Gone « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools