Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jason La Canfora reporting on Buccaneers Head Coach « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 13 14 15

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#210 : January 08, 2012, 04:16:13 PM

The biggest win on his resume at Texas A&M was the Meineke Car Care Bowl.

Wrong. He didn't coach that game.

That said, even if he DID coach that game, I would say that his wins over #9 ranked Oklahoma, and later #9 ranked Nebraska in 2010 were bigger victories than a bowl victory over a 6-win Northwestern.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#211 : January 08, 2012, 04:16:15 PM

I'd support the hire for the 2012 season and see where it goes. More important than Sherman is who the OC/DC/QB coaches will be.

+1

Not a huge fan of Sherman but he is experienced and would make a fine figure head. The important part is the coaching staff he puts together around him, and I'm confident he has enough experience in the NFL and college that he would put together a solid coaching staff with good coordinators. We'll see.

Well, that's the problem. At GB, Sherman was known as a head coach who would prefer to hire his friends as coordonators instead of competant ones.

Given how many D-coodinators he fired in a short period of time I am not sure I buy that.  Quite frankly, if he makes a good D--coordinator selection from the start Sherman would be a good choice.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#212 : January 08, 2012, 04:18:42 PM

Not thrilled but it would get the ship pointing in the right direction.

What happened to a thorough search?

Depends what they are looking for I guess. Not 'stalking' you here Joe but you asked the poignant question. And, I haven't read all 15 pages, so excuse me if this has been covered.

All I have been hearing the last week of how laxadaisical and unprofessional the Bucs locker room is. Maybe it is worse than we thought and there #1 priority is to get that room sorted out. I am not an expert on Sherman but my understanding is that he runs a pretty tight ship and it might be the thing they think needs to rectified first.

Obviously just speculation at this point but it is worth consideration IMO.

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#213 : January 08, 2012, 04:23:10 PM

That said, even if he DID coach that game, I would say that his wins over #9 ranked Oklahoma, and later #9 ranked Nebraska in 2010 were bigger victories than a bowl victory over a 6-win Northwestern.

I couldn't care less about his college coaching resume. Obviously when you look at a coach that has just coached in college, you need to. However, since Sherman has head coaching experience in the NFL, I am more inclined to analyze those results.

Bucko40

Hall of Famer

#214 : January 08, 2012, 04:23:26 PM

I have no issue with Sherman. He's not exciting but a proven HC. My only concern is what has he done since 05'.

As for Phillips, that would be a huge mistake. Phillips is a good DC but a horrible HC.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#215 : January 08, 2012, 04:32:29 PM

Well, that's the problem. At GB, Sherman was known as a head coach who would prefer to hire his friends as coordonators instead of competant ones.

Not exactly correct. Ed Donatell, who Sherman hired as his DC in GB, had never even MET Mike Sherman before he interviewed for the position. So that kinda kills that theory.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#216 : January 08, 2012, 04:41:02 PM

Alright under further investigation.......Brad Childress is interviewing for the Offensive Coordinator position, not the Head Coach position. Supposebly he'll be the OC if Sherman gets the job. Not sure if he will be if somebody else was to. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with that. I mean he did go 12-4 and was 1 win away (more like a couple Favre throws away) from the Super Bowl just two years ago. The funny thing is just a couple years ago I remember saying Freeman reminded me of McNabb and Favre if they had a kid. And those are the two quarterbacks that Childress has coached in the NFL.

The players did absolutely hate Brad Childress though....**CENSORED** it atleast they won't be playing pickup basketball and going to bars and NBA games with him.

player101

Starter
#217 : January 08, 2012, 04:45:13 PM

I should have stated bowl wins, though you are correct and it appears A&M had already taken out the trash before he could beat up on Northwestern. So in 3 years (Minus his 6-6 final season) he had 0 bowl wins and compiled a .500 record. Color me impressed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\"The facts are disputable\"

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#218 : January 08, 2012, 04:50:06 PM

A&M had already taken out the trash

Nice.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#219 : January 08, 2012, 04:53:11 PM

For the college matters crowd, Coughlin never finished better than 3rd in the flippin' big east and won 1 bowl game...the Carquest (ooooh,,, ahhhhhh).  Meanwhile Steve Spurrier won 9 conference titles (including one with Duke), a national title and was 122-27 at UF and 20-13 at Duke. He's the kind of guy that would make people buzz on this board...but he's a terrible NFL coach. Please, college coaching is not NFL coaching.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#220 : January 08, 2012, 05:01:00 PM

For the college matters crowd, Coughlin never finished better than 3rd in the flippin' big east and won 1 bowl game...the Carquest (ooooh,,, ahhhhhh).  Meanwhile Steve Spurrier won 9 conference titles (including one with Duke), a national title and was 122-27 at UF and 20-13 at Duke. He's the kind of guy that would make people buzz on this board...but he's a terrible NFL coach. Please, college coaching is not NFL coaching.

well stated
Page: 1 ... 13 14 15
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Jason La Canfora reporting on Buccaneers Head Coach « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools