Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Attention, all personnel men in love with Alabama running back Trent Richardson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 09, 2012, 04:51:58 PM

Trent Richardson is Carnell part 2.

How are they in any way similar?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#31 : January 09, 2012, 04:52:47 PM

None of the last three teams to win the Superbowl had a 1,000 yard rusher on them. If Green Bay,  New England, New Orleans, or the Giants win it this year, it will be four in a row.

MasterC25

Starter
#32 : January 09, 2012, 04:53:29 PM

You don't pass on a guy like Adrian Peterson just because some scrub undrafted free agents have big stats behind solid offensive lines.   And you don't pass on Richardson either.

I agree 100% with you, but Arian Foster is NO scrub. Living in Houston, I too at one time felt he was overrated because of the "scheme" at one time until I saw him in person against the steelers this yr. His moves, balance and vision is just special, youre either born with it or your not. Washington and Green bay both run the zone-blocking scheme and none of either of those teams backs or Houston's backups *cough* Derrick ward look anything like Foster. That man is the real deal! "Poetry in Motion" is what they call him around here.
I think it's a little of the the both, overall that Texans O-line is solid and Duane Brown is underrated,but you're right Foster is no scrub.

Yea no doubt about it Duane Brown, Eric Winston and Chris Myers should have all been named to the pro bowl that fact that not 1 member of Houston's Oline was chosen just shows how meaningless the pro bowl really is, but at the same time I put my life on the line that derrick Ward doesnt have the same type of game as Arian foster did on Saturday if given the same carries. That's why i really believe drafting Trent Richardson would be a deodorant for our O-line because great backs can make mediocre lineman like Zuttah,Trueblood and Faine look good and actual good lineman like Davin and Penn look like All pros.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#33 : January 09, 2012, 04:53:48 PM

How are they in any way similar?

Taking too high in the draft.   Trent would be good value around 17 or something.   Number 5?    No way.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 09, 2012, 04:55:26 PM

Also, let it be known that Richardson is not even in the same league as AP was. Every year Bama has a sick running game. It doesn't matter if it's Glenn Coffee, Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson, or even Richardson's backup who actually had more YPC than Trent.

Richardson is good and if we were picking 15-20 and didn't have Blount, I'd think about it. We have a back who Aaron Rodgers says is a top 2 back, and we're picking way too high with too many needs.

Richardson is an overrated player created by ESPN's massive hard-on for the dude. I know he's not coming out, but I'd rather have Monte Ball.

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer
#35 : January 09, 2012, 04:55:45 PM

I just don't see the value. I think Blount should still be the main runner and hopefully with new coaching we can get this fumbling crap straightened out. I had no problem with him carrying the ball and all we need is a 3rd down back.

Why should we draft Richardson and basically take Blount out of everything? Nobody was complaining in 2010 what he was doing. I think the need for a 3DRB should not be such a high priority. All we need back there is speed.

Look no further then LaMichael James or Doug Martin. All of which can be had in a decent spot.

If worse comes to worse this is how I feel like the first 3 rounds could go.

1. Blackmon
2. Burfict
3. LMJ/Doug Martin

That addresses a #1WR, a LB, and a 3DRB + whatever we do in FA.

It is going to be critical how we handle the free agency on what we do at the draft.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 09, 2012, 04:56:30 PM

Ive been saying all along for everybody calling this guy the next Adrian Peterson.(not fast enough and not as powerful to be AP) What have the vikings won since drafting AP???? 1 playoff game and that was due to Brett Farve having the luckiest season of his career.
I was looking at RBs selected in the top 5 since 2000, I think Jamal lewis is the only to win Super Bowl.
Well, you have Reggie Bush.  And in fairness, the list of RBs selected in the top 5 since 2000 is pretty darned short.  It's what, a half dozen players or so, and half of those in the terrible 2005 draft?  I'm not sure it's actually markedly worse than most other positions.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 09, 2012, 04:57:00 PM

The only reason that I'm for drafting Richardson is that he is great in the passing game, would be a weapon for Freeman, and he is a very safe pick. Everyone bashes on Richardson, but if Blackmon and Kalil are not there who do you want? a cover CB who can't tackle? That's really going to help one of the worst Run D's in the league. The only way I'd be on board with Claiborne is if a big time weapon for Freeman (like DeSean Jackson) was added in Free Agency. Otherwise you have to get the pieces around Freeman to see if he can get it done. If the Bucs can't get any legitimate receiving weapons in Free Agency they have to do it in the draft. If Blackmon is gone I would even consider Kendall Wright at #5 (yes, yes, obviously you'd love to trade down if you can) but Richardson is the safer pick.

Beatles123

Hall of Famer

#38 : January 09, 2012, 04:58:30 PM

I'll be scouting Richardson a lot tonight! We are SUPER thin at RB right now if Blount goes down.

This space for rent....*sigh* I trusted you coach.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#39 : January 09, 2012, 04:58:59 PM

Ive been saying all along for everybody calling this guy the next Adrian Peterson.(not fast enough and not as powerful to be AP) What have the vikings won since drafting AP???? 1 playoff game and that was due to Brett Farve having the luckiest season of his career.
I was looking at RBs selected in the top 5 since 2000, I think Jamal lewis is the only to win Super Bowl.
Well, you have Reggie Bush.  And in fairness, the list of RBs selected in the top 5 since 2000 is pretty darned short.  It's what, a half dozen players or so, and half of those in the terrible 2005 draft?  I'm not sure it's actually markedly worse than most other positions.

If we are re-drafting where do Ray Rice and MJD go?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#40 : January 09, 2012, 04:59:35 PM

The only reason that I'm for drafting Richardson is that he is great in the passing game, would be a weapon for Freeman, and he is a very safe pick. Everyone bashes on Richardson, but if Blackmon and Kalil are not there who do you want? a cover CB who can't tackle? That's really going to help one of the worst Run D's in the league. The only way I'd be on board with Claiborne is if a big time weapon for Freeman (like DeSean Jackson) was added in Free Agency. Otherwise you have to get the pieces around Freeman to see if he can get it done. If the Bucs can't get any legitimate receiving weapons in Free Agency they have to do it in the draft. If Blackmon is gone I would even consider Kendall Wright at #5 (yes, yes, obviously you'd love to trade down if you can) but Richardson is the safer pick.

For me, its not Richardson the guy, its picking a RB in the #5 hole.   Crazy in this day and age.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

bucsquad

Pro Bowler

#41 : January 09, 2012, 05:01:36 PM

Yeah I just fixed that,but you're probably right most times these players are stuck in crappy situations anyways, and 2005 class is pretty funny Benson the only one doing any thing significant lately.

traew01

Pro Bowler

#42 : January 09, 2012, 05:03:01 PM

Can you get lucky and find quality backs in later rounds, yes you can. The same can be said for other positions as well.

But if there is a potential star running back available - you dont justify not selecting him because other teams have gotten lucky finding backs in later rounds. That is idiocy.

Presumably, if they draft Claiborne there (for example), it will be because the legitimately believe that he's going to be a star CB.  That's actually a somewhat separate argument though, as I'm not at all certain where cornerbacks actually fall on the draft round-positional value spectrum.

Its been awhile, but I looked at the draft position of starting corners in the NFL and it is overwhelmingly skewed to the top part of the draft - Rounds 1-3.

So I would agree that you are better off drafting a position like corner early in a draft. My only argument is that you cant simply discount a potentially great player just because there are examples of studs drafted in later rounds.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#43 : January 09, 2012, 05:04:45 PM

Saying Claiborne can't tackle is a bit of an exaggeration.  But yes, I expect a lot what the team does in the first round to be influenced by what their plans are outside that pick.  That's true both from the standpoint of free agency (getting a V. Jackson would, for example, would make it hard to justify a first round pick on a WR) and later in the draft (it's easy to imagine them preferring the idea of Claiborne and someone like Doug Martin in the third to Richardson and a third round cornerback).

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#44 : January 09, 2012, 05:05:05 PM

Richardson is more talented than Carnell coming out.   But that comparison isn't exactly an insult.

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Attention, all personnel men in love with Alabama running back Trent Richardson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools