Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brian Schottenheimer no returning to Jets and won't join Marty « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7

Native Buc

Pro Bowler

#15 : January 10, 2012, 11:46:58 PM

Ill be happy to have both!

warrenfb12

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 10, 2012, 11:47:48 PM

As will I.

michael89156

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 10, 2012, 11:48:28 PM

Brian Schottenheimer 'will not return' to Jets

Posted on: January 10, 2012 11:32 pm

Brian Schottenheimer has 'decided not to return' to the Jets. (Getty Images)

By Will Brinson   CBS Sports

Brian Schottenheimer's been a scapegoat and a half for Jets fans over the past year, owing largely to failures by the team's offense. Many expected him gone after the 2011 season, but Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum were adamant that he wouldn't be fired.

But there were plenty of rumblings that he was on his way out of New York anyway, so it makes total sense that the Jets announced on Tuesday night that he's "decided not to return."

"After much thought and consideration, I have decided not to return to the New York Jets in 2012," said Schottenheimer in a statement issued by the team. "I am very proud of what we have accomplished in the six years I have been here. I am grateful for the relationships that I have with our players and coaches and appreciate the hard work and dedication that went into our success. My family and I would like to thank Rex Ryan and the entire Jets organization and wish them continued success. I look forward to the exciting opportunities that lie ahead."

So, um, yeah. This is a bit weird since he's not "fired" per se, but he's also not exactly leaving for a promotion, which is precisely what Rex intimated at his press conference. If Schotty ends up taking a gig with his dad in Tampa Bay, which is a reasonable possibility, then it's (maybe) a different story.

Otherwise it has a disingenuous feel of a "you've got to go but we're not going to fire you since we said we wouldn't" type of thing. Or he's just looking for a "fresh start." You know, whatever.

"Brian and I talked and I understand his decision to look for a fresh start," Rex Ryan said in the team's statement. "Id like to thank him for all of his contributions these past three seasons. Hes been right there with me, shoulder to shoulder, and played a key role in our success, helping us to reach two AFC Championship games. As Ive said before, coaching is in his bloodlines, he has a tremendous work ethic and I consider myself fortunate to have worked with him.

"He has acquired a lot of experience at a young age and has a bright future in front of him. I know that he will be a successful head coach one day - probably sooner than later."

Bill Callahan's gone as well, so it means that the Jets are on the market for an offensive coordinator now. There were rumors that Todd Haley and Tony Sparano were shopping themselves as a package deal, but that just seems too odd to work.

Haley seems like a logical fit, and we wouldn't count out former Jaguars offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, but Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports that ex-Dolphins coach Tony Sparano is "first in line" for the offensive coordinator position and could be announced as early as Wednesday.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 10, 2012, 11:49:08 PM

Same here.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 10, 2012, 11:51:30 PM

Oh wow bring in Callahan to fix this o-line.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 10, 2012, 11:53:36 PM

He's going to Dallas.

Formerly known as Revis Islander

Tampafan8251

Starter
#21 : January 10, 2012, 11:53:37 PM

Callahan is going to Dallas

tailnreds8888

Second String

#22 : January 10, 2012, 11:54:23 PM

I like the idea. Maybe Marty could get the ship pointed in the right direction for a few years and Brian (watching Dads magic) could pick up from there and be our HC of the future? I don't know a lot about Brian bu as they say "the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree"

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#23 : January 10, 2012, 11:55:00 PM

He's going to Dallas.

**CENSORED** Jerry Jones strikes again.

Tom Voodoo

Rookie

#24 : January 10, 2012, 11:56:19 PM

This coupled w/ Mularky's hiring was the main thing I was afraid of regarding a schottenheimer hiring.  Jr's play calling and offense are suspect.  For the love of god don't bring that wildcat garbage here.

DISCLAIMER:  I am in no way related to the former poster Java, I carried this name over from the TBBB and don\\\'t want to change it as I use it in almost every online setting.

KCBuc

Starter

#25 : January 10, 2012, 11:58:32 PM

The timing is VERY telling! Interesting he'd quit the very same night after his Dad meets with the Bucs.

Trying not to get my hopes up....

HolyBuc

Starter
#26 : January 10, 2012, 11:58:47 PM

Jets top 5 red zone offense this year.  Anyone know what we are?

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 11, 2012, 12:00:27 AM

This can only mean Scott Sr. is  dragging his  ass down here :D

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 11, 2012, 12:03:58 AM

Did he have years left on his contract? If so it would be a lateral move for him to be our OC unless the Jets released him, making it illegal. Tampering even.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
#29 : January 11, 2012, 12:04:43 AM

Did he have years left on his contract? If so it would be a lateral move for him to be our OC unless the Jets released him, making it illegal. Tampering even.

He was pretty much unofficially fired.
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Brian Schottenheimer no returning to Jets and won't join Marty « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools