Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Upshaw/Burfict [double dip] « previous next »
Page: 1 2

ward7910

Practice Squad
: January 11, 2012, 01:52:33 PM

Bucs trade back with the fifth pick for a king's ransom ala cleveland/atlanta last year. We double dip again, this time with lb's I see Courtney Upshaw out of Alabama and Vontaze Burfict being two potentially GREAT linebackers in the NFL. We spend our first rounder on the higher valued player, then watch the other one fall to us with the fourth pick of the second round. Instantly we have a major upgrade to our defense. We could potentially have a dominant, yes, dominant front seven. Not only that, but whoever trades with us to pick up Blackmon/Richardson, will shore us up with a few extra draft picks. Most of you will dislike this scenario, but if it were to happen, you'd all be praising dom and schottenheimer [too soon?] after a year or two.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 11, 2012, 01:58:10 PM

I don't think this is a great draft for LB's.    I would rather they pick up Tulloch in FA.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

Supreme

Starter

#2 : January 11, 2012, 01:59:09 PM

It's not a bad idea, especially if we switch to a 3-4

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 11, 2012, 02:02:01 PM

Upshaw and Burfict would help our lbs out big time.

Supreme

Starter

#4 : January 11, 2012, 02:07:34 PM

Oh how about Upshaw and Hightower? they're already familiar playing next to each other and Hightower dosen't have the red flags Burflict has.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#5 : January 11, 2012, 02:23:16 PM

Not if Kalil is there.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 11, 2012, 02:58:26 PM

I like the idea of the Alabama boys better.  But if this happened I wouldnt complain one bit.  Ever notice how the top organizations always trade back and the wannabe's trade up.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

Pepsi

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 11, 2012, 03:03:05 PM

There's probably not a guy in the draft that could help us more than Hightower. I would be totally fine with a double LB scenario that includes Hightower, Burfict, or Upshaw. If Claiborne is there is would be hard to pass that up though.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#8 : January 11, 2012, 03:10:39 PM

If we are going to a 3-4, which it appears we are since every coach interviewed so far is a 3-4 guy, I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to double dip for 3-4 LBs. I would go with Melvin Ingram in the first round though. He is 6'3" 275lbs but a freak athlete. Perfect pass rushing OLB. Then grab Burfict or Hightower in the 2nd to play inside with Foster. I think Clayborn would be the other OLB, but there is Dekoda Watson too. Smaller and faster and excels at pass rushing.

We need secondary help but there are quite a few solid CBs in free agency this year.

Imagine a front seven of...

LDE - McCoy
NT - Price
RDE - Bowers

LOLB - Clayborn
ILB - Foster
ILB - Burfict or Hightower
ROLB - Ingram

THAT would be fun to watch. Especially if we have a great defensive coach like Marty or Wade Phillips.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 11, 2012, 03:17:11 PM

If we go 3-4 we're going to need another inside backer. Burfict and Upshaw fit the bill and Watson would make an excellent 3-4 OLB pass rusher. Line him up against tight ends, he's going to be abuse them and he can play coverage. Trade down and acquire a ted backer to compliment Foster would be ideal. Something like this would be nice....

1. Burfict ILB
2. Curry OLB

Pending FA, we're going to need help in that secondary though. Brandon Carr should be the #1 target when its all said and done. Dude played top 10 CB ball this year with the Chiefs.

IrishBuc

Second String

#10 : January 11, 2012, 03:22:58 PM

Not a bad idea. Free agency is key to any plan on improving this year. What I would wonder is do people see the Bucs as an attractive franchise? From what I know the Bucs have never really landed a big name Free-Agent.

Spider 2 Y Banana

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 11, 2012, 03:25:23 PM

If we are going to a 3-4, which it appears we are since every coach interviewed so far is a 3-4 guy, I don't think it would be a bad idea at all to double dip for 3-4 LBs. I would go with Melvin Ingram in the first round though. He is 6'3" 275lbs but a freak athlete. Perfect pass rushing OLB. Then grab Burfict or Hightower in the 2nd to play inside with Foster. I think Clayborn would be the other OLB, but there is Dekoda Watson too. Smaller and faster and excels at pass rushing.

We need secondary help but there are quite a few solid CBs in free agency this year.

Imagine a front seven of...

LDE - McCoy
NT - Price
RDE - Bowers

LOLB - Clayborn
ILB - Foster
ILB - Burfict or Hightower
ROLB - Ingram

THAT would be fun to watch. Especially if we have a great defensive coach like Marty or Wade Phillips.

Im thinking/hoping for the same thing, but think Clayborn would be our DE and Bowers would be the better OLB.  Either way that would be a fun D to watch.

Every time I see last post JC5100, I have to click on it.... Pure comedy.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : January 11, 2012, 03:46:58 PM

Bowers and McCoy are both 6'4" and built very similar. McCoy has Bowers by about 10lbs, but I think they would make good book ends in a Wade Phillips type 3-4. Clayborn is 6'2" and said he was just under 270lbs this season. He also just has that tenacity you want in you pass rushers. I think he'd be the OLB. You have to remember that 3-4 OLBs rarely drop into coverage. They are pass rushers. Basically still DEs, they just stand up and move around presnap.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 11, 2012, 05:04:50 PM

Bowers and McCoy are both 6'4" and built very similar. McCoy has Bowers by about 10lbs, but I think they would make good book ends in a Wade Phillips type 3-4. Clayborn is 6'2" and said he was just under 270lbs this season. He also just has that tenacity you want in you pass rushers. I think he'd be the OLB. You have to remember that 3-4 OLBs rarely drop into coverage. They are pass rushers. Basically still DEs, they just stand up and move around presnap.
Bowers is built more like a stand up end than Clayborn. Clayborn looks heavier than he is and Bowers looks lighter than he is. I think Bowers' athleticism makes him a better stand up end than Clayborn who I like in the 3-point.

And I would love a draft of Hightower/Burfict, even if we stick with the 4-3. I think Vontaze can move outside. Foster, I know can. Hightower/Foster/Burfict is a linebacking core we can be proud of!

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 11, 2012, 10:42:49 PM

Upshaw had to be one of the dumbest people I have seen in my life.

I will pass.

Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Upshaw/Burfict [double dip] « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools