Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Billick..........."I was too old and too expensive for the Jags" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

SanDiegoBucs27

Second String

#15 : January 12, 2012, 07:50:55 PM

Billick's attitude rubs me the wrong way. The guy seems to think he is God's gift to coaching...and he knows he has TV as a fall-back.

those are some strong accusations

Brian Billick SDSU pride!

traew01

Pro Bowler

#16 : January 12, 2012, 07:55:38 PM

Billick's attitude rubs me the wrong way. The guy seems to think he is God's gift to coaching...and he knows he has TV as a fall-back.

Not an "accusation" - just my own personal impression. I mean, when a guy comes out and declares he was "too expensive" -- that just sounds like the snooty guy in the fancy store saying "oh, you cant afford that" when you ask him the price of an item.

You either have the fire to coach or you don't. Saying teams can't afford you is brash to say the least.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 12, 2012, 08:01:35 PM

I don't suppose the fact that Dominik and Sherman have the same agent had anything to do with it?

Maybe, but only if it was a courtesy thing. But I don't think it was, I believe Sherman is a legit candidate for the job.

1Va bucsfan

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 12, 2012, 08:04:09 PM

Skip I'm at a lost myself when it comes to Billick not being connected to more jobs!

\\\"The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot, the guy who invented the other three, he was a genius

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 12, 2012, 08:09:39 PM

Apparently, Billick was "too old and too expensive" for the Titans a year ago as well. Check out this quote from the man himself:

"This game goes in cycles, and the trend is to go young and cheap. And Im neither.

http://blogs.tennessean.com/titans/2011/02/03/billick-not-waiting-on-call-from-titans/

Yeah, no wonder his phone isn't ringing off the hook.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#20 : January 12, 2012, 08:12:45 PM

Poor choice of words for sure - and why express the thought, just wish the guy good luck and move on. 

That said - he has been pretty successful, and there isn't a requirement that folks like each other. 

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

SanDiegoBucs27

Second String

#21 : January 12, 2012, 08:16:12 PM

Not an "accusation" - just my own personal impression. I mean, when a guy comes out and declares he was "too expensive" -- that just sounds like the snooty guy in the fancy store saying "oh, you cant afford that" when you ask him the price of an item.

You either have the fire to coach or you don't. Saying teams can't afford you is brash to say the least.

I doubt he went into the interview and said "Im too expensive and I'm the smartest man alive". Plus he said "theyre looking for young and cheap, and Im neither" which is true since they hired Mularkey ( 7 years younger- less experience, and a 14-18 record). He also probably had no desire to go to the Jags since its an awful job.

saying the Jags are cheap is saying he doesnt have any fire to coach? he doesnt want to be held back by owners not serious about winning

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#22 : January 12, 2012, 08:20:47 PM

I doubt he went into the interview

I don't think there was an interview.

I doubt he went into the interview and said "Im too expensive and I'm the smartest man alive".

Maybe the Jags owner heard him say the same thing about the Titans. Maybe Billick doesn't know that words can come back to haunt you. But maybe he's learning that.

traew01

Pro Bowler

#23 : January 12, 2012, 08:32:04 PM

I doubt he went into the interview and said "Im too expensive and I'm the smartest man alive". Plus he said "theyre looking for young and cheap, and Im neither" which is true since they hired Mularkey ( 7 years younger- less experience, and a 14-18 record). He also probably had no desire to go to the Jags since its an awful job.

saying the Jags are cheap is saying he doesnt have any fire to coach? he doesnt want to be held back by owners not serious about winning

Based on his own words, it sounds like this is the only thing that is going to light Brian Billick's desire to coach:

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 12, 2012, 08:39:30 PM

Billick may not even realize what he's doing when he has now, repeatedly, made the same comment. He's slapping both of the new hires in the face. No wonder owners are keeping this guy at arm's length.

SanDiegoBucs27

Second String

#25 : January 12, 2012, 09:00:44 PM

Billick may not even realize what he's doing when he has now, repeatedly, made the same comment. He's slapping both of the new hires in the face. No wonder owners are keeping this guy at arm's length.

I think Billick has every right to call out cheap owners who aren't committed to winning. The Titans/ Jags hired the wrong coaches (an oline coach/ failed Bills HC).... Billick is hated in the league for being honest which sucks since he's the kind of coach to win a championship on multiple teams.

gone

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 12, 2012, 09:06:20 PM

I think Billick has every right to call out cheap owners who aren't committed to winning. The Titans/ Jags hired the wrong coaches (an oline coach/ failed Bills HC).... Billick is hated in the league for being honest which sucks since he's the kind of coach to win a championship on multiple teams.

Comments like this are definitely a big part of why he's not coaching.  And only an idiot is "honest" to that level.  If you think all you have to do is be good at your X's and O's and you'll get ahead without people skills you're either a teenager or washing dishes.  Soft skills are huge.  If you don't have them eventually you run out of second chances.  Especially at the higher levels. 

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 12, 2012, 09:06:47 PM

I think Billick has every right to call out cheap owners who aren't committed to winning.

Absolutely! And he also has every right never to head coach another team in this league again. Actions have consequences. This is now DOCUMENTED the second time that Billick has called an owner cheap, and the second documented time he's slapped a new head coach in the face, implying that they're not as worthy of the position as him and that they got the job because they'll work for peanuts.

Like I said, for those who are wondering why he's not getting offers, well, this should give you some idea.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#28 : January 12, 2012, 09:20:11 PM

"I was too expensive" is certainly a spin that reflects much better on Billick than had he said "I called them and they chuckled and said 'no thanks'".

Kind of odd that he'd speak on the Jags but when asked had he talked to the Bucs, i believe his quote was "I don't think it would be fair to answer that question"

Good point.

For whatever reason, I still think he's a darkhorse for the job.  I'd be anxious to see what he could do with Freeman and company.

SanDiegoBucs27

Second String

#29 : January 12, 2012, 09:22:24 PM

I think Billick has every right to call out cheap owners who aren't committed to winning.

Absolutely! And he also has every right never to head coach another team in this league again. Actions have consequences. This is now DOCUMENTED the second time that Billick has called an owner cheap, and the second documented time he's slapped a new head coach in the face, implying that they're not as worthy of the position as him and that they got the job because they'll work for peanuts.

Like I said, for those who are wondering why he's not getting offers, well, this should give you some idea.

Billick got along with the Ravens owner, Steve Bisciotti,  perfectly fine for 8-9 years. Biscuit also hesitated to fire Billick since they became good friends... I dont think Billick's ego is a proper enough excuse for why he isn't being given interviews.

Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Billick..........."I was too old and too expensive for the Jags" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools