Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: List of Dominik's failures as Bucs GM (feel free to add!) « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#30 : January 13, 2012, 08:40:33 AM

The Clayton, Ward, and Quincy Black contracts are really the only three legitimate marks against Dom.

So you think the Angelo Crowell signing was a good one?    How about Nugent?

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#31 : January 13, 2012, 08:41:57 AM

Angelo Crowell was without a doubt a good signing. He was cheap and had huge upside. Not every risk will pay off but it was still a smart and calculated risk.

Draft Aaron Donald

futureTBdynasty

Practice Squad

#32 : January 13, 2012, 08:43:20 AM

Clayton and Black are/were such bad deals and  the lack of  signed FA in 2011 is indefensible so if we don't go at least 8-8 you will probably see a change.  But I honestly believe a VJax signing (or DeSean as a consolation) will make everyone a lot happier.

m_j

Starter

#33 : January 13, 2012, 08:45:01 AM

Oh god, just realized  ....... he resigned Michael Clayton too  :-\

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#34 : January 13, 2012, 08:49:32 AM

I don't even think the Clayton deal was all bad. At the time we were desperate. We had absolutely nothing at WR, We were desperate and we thought if we gave him a contract and a boost of confidence under the new oach, Clayton might revert to his rookie self. He didn't and Dom admitted his mistake immediately and cut him the following off season. It was a risky move, but we were in a postion where we had to take risks on Clayton and Bryant. We had to bring in guys like Brown from the Eagles. We had no choice and it wasn't Dom that had put us in that situation.

The one thing that you can put on Dom when it comes to our WR situation in 2009, is that he passed on Mike Wallace in the 3rd round and took Roy Miller that year. THAT was stupid.

Draft Aaron Donald

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#35 : January 13, 2012, 09:03:17 AM

Angelo Crowell was without a doubt a good signing. He was cheap and had huge upside.

He didn't play a down for the Bucs.   That was not a good signing.

Nugent was also a complete bust.

m_j

Starter

#36 : January 13, 2012, 09:05:41 AM

I don't even think the Clayton deal was all bad. At the time we were desperate. We had absolutely nothing at WR, We were desperate and we thought if we gave him a contract and a boost of confidence under the new oach, Clayton might revert to his rookie self. He didn't and Dom admitted his mistake immediately and cut him the following off season. It was a risky move, but we were in a postion where we had to take risks on Clayton and Bryant. We had to bring in guys like Brown from the Eagles. We had no choice and it wasn't Dom that had put us in that situation.

The one thing that you can put on Dom when it comes to our WR situation in 2009, is that he passed on Mike Wallace in the 3rd round and took Roy Miller that year. THAT was stupid.
My point was that noone, and that means absolutely noone I know was pro resigning Clayton after all those drops he had! That tells a lot, and no matter how desperate you are, some things are obvious. People can argue about Gruden, Garcia etc (or Tebow  ;D ) and how good or bad they were ... but with Clayton, there was no doubt there!

And Wallace .. .well, that was hard to know, he had most yds per catch in one year but apart from that ... not much.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 13, 2012, 09:13:50 AM

And Wallace .. .well, that was hard to know, he had most yds per catch in one year but apart from that ... not much.

Not really. He was the consensus best WR on the board and he ran a 4.3. I remember thinking "Ok, we just got our franchise QB, we got him solid TE to be his crutch, now we complete it by getting him a great young WR to grow with....right?" Then we chose Roy Miller and I threw my Doritos at the TV. I'm no genius and I knew it was the smart thing to do, so I think it fair to hold Dom accountable for that one. We reached for Roy because we were thin at DT and had just made a defensive guy HC, but Roy did nothing to make us better. He was just another average 2nd string guy, which we already had plenty of. Besides, we used our first and second round picks the next year to take back to back DTs. It was just a bad move. Not really a hindsight thing, just a bad decision.
: January 13, 2012, 09:17:45 AM JDouble

Draft Aaron Donald

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#38 : January 13, 2012, 09:19:50 AM

Re-signing one of the worst RT's in the league just because Davin Joseph is his buddy was pretty stupid.

m_j

Starter

#39 : January 13, 2012, 09:22:13 AM

Not really. He was the consensus best WR on the board and he ran a 4.3. I remember thinking "Ok, we just got our franchise QB, we got him solid TE to be his crutch, now we complete it by getting him a great young WR to grow with....right?" Then we chose Roy Miller and I threw my Doritos at the TV. I'm no genius and I knew it was the smart thing to do, so I think it fair to hold Dom accountable for that one. We reached for Roy because we were thin at DT and had just made a defensive guy HC, but Roy did nothing to make us better. He was just another average 2nd string guy, which we already had plenty of. Besides, we used our first and second round picks the next year to take back to back DTs. It was just a bad move. Not really a hindsight thing, just a bad decision.

Miller was awful decisison, no question, my point was that at the time noone knew what a monster WR Wallace would turn into!
Just take a look who drafted right after us and who their picks were! That proves Wallace choice was not that simple at all.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#40 : January 13, 2012, 09:33:25 AM

We might have taken Brandon Tate or some other WR, but the pick should have been a WR. At least I think so.

Draft Aaron Donald

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#41 : January 13, 2012, 09:35:09 AM

Dont get me wrong. It was the right move to dump nugent. I just dont think Matt Bryant deserved to be cut. Good thing Conor Barth panned out because it would suck going up against the falcons even more had he not.
 I really think the new regime was trying to proove a point with Bryant. Everybody needs to earn a spot. If it was one guy who didnt need to earn anything it was Bryant at that time. Making field goals the week he lost his baby. Winnig a game on a 62 yarder. If anybody needed to earn anything it was these young players they brought in and gave positions to without any real competition.

Noone here does, but that was one of Raheems glory actions.

Bryant was cut because he has trouble with anything over 40 yards

bradentonian

Hall of Famer

#42 : January 13, 2012, 09:36:35 AM

Miller was awful decisison, no question, my point was that at the time noone knew what a monster WR Wallace would turn into!
Just take a look who drafted right after us and who their picks were! That proves Wallace choice was not that simple at all.

I loved the Miller pick.  He wasn't a "reach" in terms of where he was projected vs where we picked him.  He filled the biggest need on the roster and was a tremendous leader in school.  It's unfortunate that he didn't pan out.

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#43 : January 13, 2012, 09:45:33 AM

Dont forget MD stole Briscoe from the Bengals. He also was able to diagnose Antonio Bryant being a problem not a solution.

Awesome! He stole our #4 WR of the future! Workin that 2nd draft baby!

And I'm real tired of him getting so much credit for Blount. As I said in a previous thread, everybody knew Blount was talented, people just thought he would blow up at any second and do something to get himself kicked out of the league. The dude's career was almost over with a punch on a nationally televised game in college, then he gets a chance as an undrafted free agent with the Titans and he goes and punches his own teammate during practice before the season even started. Mike Williams and LeGarrette Blount weren't some hidden gems that he found scouting D-III football, those guys would have been 1st rounders if they didn't get in trouble in college. If we didn't pick those two up somebody would have, so should Dominik be commended as some great talent evaluator because he was the GM of the team that pulled the trigger? The funny thing is that both of those guys seem like Raheem guys. If anybody's seen Moneyball, I can bet you that in the situation for those two guys and for various other players on the Bucs roster Raheem played the role of Billy Beane while Mark Dominik was Peter Brand. I can picture it in my head right now. Raheem also is the reason Josh Freeman is on this team, so don't put that anywhere near Dominik's resume. And LOL @ "stealing a divison rival's kicker." Yeah we only offered him the biggest deal in NFL history for a punter. Yeah without him and with some other bum ass punter that Dominik would have signed off of somebody's practice squad things would have been even worse than they were this year, if that's possible. But all that does is enhance the argument of him being an absolute idiot for not signing any other free agents besides overpaying our own. None of that "Glazers are cheap" **CENSORED**, we threw ridiculous money at a punter and Quincy Black. Raheem absolutely was not cut out to be a head coach at this time, but Dominik burried the guy. I hope one day Raheem airs out some dirty laundry from the past few years.

freddy

Hall of Famer
#44 : January 13, 2012, 09:48:49 AM

Matt Bryant was a semi decent kicker with a tragic heart breaking story. But the NFL is a business and sorry, it was time for him to go. Horrible Kickoffs and like Brad said he was questionable with anything over 40 yards. Maybe his departure was hastened a little bit due to Nuggets contract but his departure was going to happen either way. If it wasn't Nugget, the team would have found someone one else, which they did. So for the Bucs, it worked out. Not like it cost the team a shot at the playoffs or anything important.

The biggest thing you can hang on Dom is the FA contract thing. But you can only do so with outsiders info. I don't care how smart you think you are, you can still only guess why any decision was made. In fact, I would not be suprised if Dom is just a GM secretary for Joel or one of the others. They make the decisions, even contract value decisions and who gets one, Dom just does the leg work. That would explain very easily why Dom was retained. He has done exactly as the Glazers have asked.

Besides, it appears that the team intends to keep Dom employed in his current duties at least for the next season so just live with it. Of course, like I have said many times, some people just can't be happy unless they are complaining about something.
Page: 1 2 3 4
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: List of Dominik's failures as Bucs GM (feel free to add!) « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools