Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How many times have the Bucs scored 400 or more points in a season? « previous next »
Page: 1 2

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 13, 2012, 10:45:50 PM »

January 13, 2012
Coaching Staff

Maybe the parade of retreads was just a sop to the early bird crowd in Tampa Bay. Now, the Bucs are looking younger. In addition to Mike Zimmer, the Bucs are also going sit down with Carolina Panthers OC Rob Chudzinski.

Last year, the Panthers scored just 196 points (32nd in the NFL). This year, they scored 408. That’s 5th overall. There’s no doubt that Cam Newton is a supreme talent and without him, the Panthers would have been a lot closer to 196. However, I don’t think they come close to 408 without Chudzinski’s involvement. He crafted a system for Cam Newton that fully utilized his talent and the talents around him. And if you aren’t convinced by his work with Newton, how about with Derek Anderson in 2007? Remarkably, that offense managed 402 points.

Here’s how many times the Bucs have scored 400 or more points – ZERO. Heck, they’ve only scored more than 350  twice! The first was in 2000, with Les Steckel running the offense (388 points), the second in 2008, with Jon Gruden (361 points). This year, we managed a meager 287 points.

Chudzinski is the least experienced guy on the Bucs’ list so far, and if you think this team needs a grizzled vet to whip the youngsters in shape, then he might not be the guy. But in terms of offensive creativity, he might be hard to beat.

http://www.betterthanaveragebucsblog.com/2012/01/13/chud/
« : January 14, 2012, 02:27:34 AM michael89156 »

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 13, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »

Who would of guessed Les Steckel.......SMH

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 13, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »

Just one cautionary note: What people fail to account for is that moving from coordinator to head coach brings a completely different set of responsibilities. That's why you often see really good coordinators turn in much poorer performances as head coaches, and a return to a coordinator slot with another team shows a return to the proficiency they displayed prior to the promotion. Most head coaches cannot afford to concentrate solely on their area of expertise, and if they haven't already groomed another guy to bring with them to become the new coordinator with their new team, they really don't have time to get someone ready.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 13, 2012, 10:59:35 PM »

Actually, I would have. Steckel didn't fit in with the rest of the coaches in the office, but he certainly improved the point production on the field.

The Anomaly

Hall of Famer

« #4 : January 13, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »

dtg:  I want to say that we hired Steckel because he was number one in red zone efficiency w/ the Titans.  And I want to say that we were top five the year he was here...I think.  You would know more than I.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 13, 2012, 11:11:36 PM »

Actually, Les preferred the term "green zone" to "red zone" because he wanted players to think "green means go" rather than stop. But to your point: yes.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #6 : January 14, 2012, 02:25:07 AM »

Actually, I would have. Steckel didn't fit in with the rest of the coaches in the office, but he certainly improved the point production on the field.

Is he available?      j/k

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 14, 2012, 02:54:25 AM »

Not only you, but pretty much any Buc fan who has any knowledge of team history already knew that.   Steckel's offense was productive.   

watson

Hall of Famer
« #8 : January 14, 2012, 05:09:56 AM »

And from all accounts, he fit in with Keyshawn even less than he did with the other coaches...

Truths:
1.  Never have an argument with an idiot.  They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience.
2.  For some it would be better if they remained silent and be thought a fool than to speak and erase all doubt.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 14, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »

The Shaun King year? LOL.

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #10 : January 14, 2012, 01:03:42 PM »

You guys remember where Les Steckel came from right? The guy he worked for before the Bucs? The guy who was mighty PO'ed when he left to come here?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 14, 2012, 01:07:42 PM »

You guys remember where Les Steckel came from right? The guy he worked for before the Bucs? The guy who was mighty PO'ed when he left to come here?

Fisher wasn't it?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 14, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »

Fisher wasn't it?

Yup. Les Steckel's contract was up in Tennessee, but he was supposed to return to the team. In fact, they were in the process of writing his new contract. During the contract negotiations, Les called Tony Dungy telling him he wanted to come here. He hopped a plane to fly to Tampa, and called Jeff Fisher from the plane to tell him about it.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 14, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »

Steckel's offense was actually pretty poor moving the ball. He got a lot of a lot short fields and scored a ton - 6th in points and 21st in yards.

He never worked in the NFL again, 2000 was his last year anywhere in the league.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

bucmoon

Second String
« #14 : January 14, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »

I remember it well , we scored the most pts in the History of the Franchise than dumped the OC and QB ....From what i read Dungys even keel approach and Steckles Marine mentality didnt mesh well.
  Page: 1 2
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: How many times have the Bucs scored 400 or more points in a season? « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools