Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tebow supporters repent « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 15 16 17

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#240 : January 17, 2012, 03:42:15 AM

Elway still could. Imagine when they draft a QB.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#241 : January 17, 2012, 06:22:15 AM

Good Lord man, your reading and comprehension skills not working tonite? The actual quote reads:

Quote from: John Elway
I think Tim has earned the right to be the starting quarterback going into training camp next year

Being named the starter in training camp is slightly different than being annointed the starter on opening day.

Seeing that I quoted the article's headline word for word, my reading skills were 100% on. If you have a problem with what I posted, direct them to the article's author, not me. He wrote the story.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#242 : January 17, 2012, 07:35:36 AM

If you have a problem with what I posted, direct them to the article's author, not me. He wrote the story.

In other words, don't shoot the messenger?

It was your bipolar self that not only picked up the bone and ran with it, but chose to post it in large font in some sort of "i told you" so fashion.

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#243 : January 17, 2012, 09:31:30 AM

He did play well, but that 300 yards came on 10 completions, and 204 of it came from one receiver. Is Tebow really that good?

He was on that day.

And I'm a little confused as to why having over 300 yards on 10 completions is supposed to be a bad thing.  Are big plays not acceptable all of the sudden?  Or is that only when Tebow has them?

He was on that day. But one day out of 5 doesn't make you a good player, which is the point that all the detractors are making. If Tebow can't hit on those big plays, he is virtually ineffective as a passer, as evident in the New England game where they were basically leaving the underneath sideline routes open all freaking day, and Tebow was completely incapable of taking advantage of it. The broadcasters pointed it out about 5 times in the game. Tebow never made them have to change that strategy, and New England basically shut down the Denver passing game by only covering about half of the football field.

Or perhaps did the injuries to the Steelers D-Line and Secondary play a role in the amount of big plays that unit uncharacteristically gave up that day?

When did Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel, and Casey Hampton turn into Troy Polamalu, James Harrison, and Lamar Woodley?  Not that Clark, Keisel, and Hampton aren't good players, but those three stars I mentioned all missed games this season and the opposing team never had a 300 yard passer.  Yet Tebow did, and his detractors are trotting out excuse after excuse explaining why.

The lengths you folks are having to go to denigrate the good performance while highlighting the bad performance is pretty transparent.

As is the lengths that you are going to in order to play up his performance. Casey Hampton is a 5 time Pro Bowler, Brett Keisel is a former Pro Bowler, and Ryan Clark is a much better safety than Ryan Mundy, who's started two games in three NFL seasons. The fact that these guys were missing directly plays into why Tebow had such great protection, and why the plays were so wide open downfield, and the fact that Mendenhall was out and Roethlisberger was playing hurt played directly into why Denver got so many opportunities on offense.

They won the game, and deservedly so, but your inability to own up to the fact that there were favorable circumstances for Denver that played a role, instead pretending as though it was some immaculate performance by Tebow that lead to the win, is why so many people hate the Tebow hype. No other sub 50% passer has ever, or will ever get as much praise as this kid. It completely defies logic and reason.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#244 : January 17, 2012, 09:55:26 AM

As is the lengths that you are going to in order to play up his performance. Casey Hampton is a 5 time Pro Bowler, Brett Keisel is a former Pro Bowler, and Ryan Clark is a much better safety than Ryan Mundy, who's started two games in three NFL seasons. The fact that these guys were missing directly plays into why Tebow had such great protection, and why the plays were so wide open downfield, and the fact that Mendenhall was out and Roethlisberger was playing hurt played directly into why Denver got so many opportunities on offense.

They won the game, and deservedly so, but your inability to own up to the fact that there were favorable circumstances for Denver that played a role, instead pretending as though it was some immaculate performance by Tebow that lead to the win, is why so many people hate the Tebow hype. No other sub 50% passer has ever, or will ever get as much praise as this kid. It completely defies logic and reason.

Why didn't any other QB in the NFL throw for over 300 yards vs. Pittsburgh when they had even more "favorable circumstances" when James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, and Troy Polamalu missed time?  As I've already said, Hampton, Keisel, and Clark for fine players - but they aren't Harrison, Woodley, and Polamalu.

The excuses for Tebow's success are never-ending.

Bradspace

Pro Bowler

#245 : January 17, 2012, 10:06:55 AM

Why didn't any other QB in the NFL throw for over 300 yards vs. Pittsburgh when they had even more "favorable circumstances" when James Harrison, Lamarr Woodley, and Troy Polamalu missed time?  As I've already said, Hampton, Keisel, and Clark for fine players - but they aren't Harrison, Woodley, and Polamalu.

They're easily surpassed by excuses for his failures. 

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#246 : January 17, 2012, 10:21:57 AM

They're easily surpassed by excuses for his failures.

Cool.  There are 16 pages in this thread.  Go ahead and put together a list of the posters excusing the poor play vs. New England.  There's only a couple morons who fit that bill.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#247 : January 17, 2012, 10:59:54 AM

The fact that you think they are excuses as opposed to facts speaks volumes. Here's another fact for you. In the last three games of the season, Tebow completed 41% of his passes, threw 1 TD vs. 4 INT's, and averaged 146 yards a game passing. Had Josh Freeman played like that, playoff victory or not, there would not be a single Bucs fan in the world that would suggest that he be given a chance to be the long-term answer for us at QB. You know this as well as I do, whether you choose to admit it or not. These numbers are as abysmal as any starting QB has put up in recent memory.

The Steelers game was the aberration. The Patriots game was the exact the same Tebow we saw in the last three games of the season. The Patriots, who have the 31st ranked defense in the NFL, were able to completely neutralize the guy, so as much as you want to point to the Steelers game as an example of his greatness, the Patriots game points to a far more glaring reality. Perhaps that would be an explanation as to why so many "Tebow haters" are failing to ride the guys grapes for the one okay game he had sandwiched in between 4 horrific ones.
: January 17, 2012, 11:02:31 AM CBWx2

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#248 : January 17, 2012, 11:03:43 AM

The Steelers game was the aberration.

That's convenient.

as much as you want to point to the Steelers game as an example of his greatness

I'm pretty sure I haven't even come close to making this statement.  I've continued to say he played well when his teammates around him played well and didn't play well when his teammates around him didn't play well.  That's not a sign of greatness, that's a sign of a QB that needs help to succeed at this point.  I'm not how that's even close to controversial, but Tebow tends to bring out the extreme reactions of folks.
: January 17, 2012, 11:07:15 AM Biggs3535

Theoldbuc

Starter

#249 : January 17, 2012, 11:37:21 AM

The Steelers game was the aberration.

That's convenient.

as much as you want to point to the Steelers game as an example of his greatness

I'm pretty sure I haven't even come close to making this statement.  I've continued to say he played well when his teammates around him played well and didn't play well when his teammates around him didn't play well.  That's not a sign of greatness, that's a sign of a QB that needs help to succeed at this point.  I'm not how that's even close to controversial, but Tebow tends to bring out the extreme reactions of folks.

Actually, it isn't Tim that brings out the negative reactions. It is the people who either condemn him or those who claim he's simply a winner. The truth is he isn't a very good QB based on what we collectively define as an NFL QB. Denver had to gut their offense and put in what "works" best for him. Not a bad move if it's transferable to the next QB. It isn't remotely transferable, because it depends on a QB who can run like a fullback. There isn't another one in the game, like Tim. ANd his results, especially, when a team sees him a second time, simply isn't what you want to build your franchise around.

I don't hate Tim. In fact, I have met him and actually like him as a person and his competitive drive is real. He just isn't a franchise caliber QB, by NFL definition. I believe firmly, he is about his mission. God has given him a platform to get John 3:16 out there. Great message and I love the messenger! But it won't make him a great NFL QB. It does make him a faithful servant, who is using what God gave him for the glory of Christ. You do know that God works in mysterious ways, right?

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#250 : January 17, 2012, 12:15:58 PM

Isn't John 3:16 is the one that says, "And whomever shall win the internet pissing contest, shall get praise and adulation from all the angels in My kingdom. And a pack of twizzlers."

Theoldbuc

Starter

#251 : January 17, 2012, 12:36:09 PM

Isn't John 3:16 is the one that says, "And whomever shall win the internet pissing contest, shall get praise and adulation from all the angels in My kingdom. And a pack of twizzlers."

You're on to something, right there!

chace1986

Hall of Famer

#252 : January 17, 2012, 12:53:43 PM

Hope its Red and not Black Twizzlers....

Until preseason, you stay classy Red Board.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#253 : January 17, 2012, 01:06:28 PM

I think the people are right to doubt him. This league is won from the pocket and so far he hasn't been able to do that. Why is it wrong to doubt him if he hasn't been able to do that?

buccaneer4ever

Hall of Famer

#254 : January 17, 2012, 01:31:03 PM

I think the people are right to doubt him. This league is won from the pocket and so far he hasn't been able to do that. Why is it wrong to doubt him if he hasn't been able to do that?

You tell me, Satan.  >:(

Page: 1 ... 15 16 17
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Tebow supporters repent « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools