Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mel Kiper's First Mock Draft Has Us Passing On Claiborne For... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 5

acacius

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 18, 2012, 01:01:00 PM

I'm not in favor of it either.  TR isn't that special.  But I'd have no problem with a 2nd or 3rd being used on the position.
That I'd be a lot happier with.  Although even there, I think a lot comes down to what the team is or is not able to do in free agency.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#16 : January 18, 2012, 01:01:27 PM

I'm not in favor of it either.  TR isn't that special.  But I'd have no problem with a 2nd or 3rd being used on the position.

Honestly I'd rather resolve it in FA with a guy like Snelling to give us two useful backs and one who can be a 3rd down back but ins't just a third down back. If we drop a 2 or 3 that'd be fine too but RB's isn't a big priority for me or the NFL really.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

sharp2325

Starter

#17 : January 18, 2012, 01:03:19 PM

I think we could get LMJ or Isiah Pead in the 3rd. I like Pead because he is bigger a the same speed. Probaly more durable.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#18 : January 18, 2012, 01:05:43 PM

by the time most RBs hit their 2nd contract they are a shell of their former selves.  Thats why I don't like FA RBs.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 18, 2012, 01:08:49 PM

by the time most RBs hit their 2nd contract they are a shell of their former selves.  Thats why I don't like FA RBs.

If you need 15-20 carries that's true but for a part timer or backup then there's not that much wear on the tires.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

acacius

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 18, 2012, 01:19:19 PM

Well, I meant in terms of what non-RBs the team signs as well.  For example, if they get one (or even better, two) of the free agent cornerbacks, it suddenly becomes a whole lot easier to pass on Claiborne.  Which I realize is a "no crap, Sherlock" sort of statement.

MHShoops

Rookie

#21 : January 18, 2012, 01:32:04 PM

Looking back on the drafts since 2002 I can only find three players picked in the top 5 overall who won a Super Bowl with the team that drafted him.

2004 - Eli Manning QB (sort of a technicality since he was traded during the draft)
2006 - Reggie Bush - RB - New Orleans
2006 - A.J. Hawk - LB - Green Bay

It seems as if the moral of the story is Super Bowl winning teams rarely pick in the top 5 so find the best player regardless of position. 

zeke23

Rookie

#22 : January 18, 2012, 01:49:35 PM

IMO, it would be bad to pigeon hole TR in the "don't draft a RB that high" category.  This kid is as physical a specimen right now at this position as ANYONE in the league. Don't think durability will be an issue. Compact. And low center of gravity. Almost like MJD on steroids in terms of body type.

Doesn't have to leave the field kn any down. Can block, catch and play on the goal line. He has none of the negatives we complain about with Blount. Workout warrior who lives in the gym, so he'll take care of himself.

Do not want to watch this kid rushing 1,200+ yards a year for someone else...like AP is doing.

alldaway

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 18, 2012, 01:52:35 PM

The Bucs need a Kevin Faulk type back added to the roster not a Marshal Faulk.  And Richardson is purely recognized as a runner more so than a receiver.

3rd String Kicker

Hall of Famer
#24 : January 18, 2012, 01:58:08 PM

The Bucs need a Kevin Faulk type back added to the roster not a Marshal Faulk.  And Richardson is purely recognized as a runner more so than a receiver.

I'd like a Marshal Faulk type back!  :D

Maybe next year's draft class or buried in the mid-late rounds this year? Not sure.

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 18, 2012, 02:04:07 PM

The 2nd or 3rd round is a great place for a RB.

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#26 : January 18, 2012, 02:09:37 PM

They just need a weapon next to Blount who can play all downs.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#27 : January 18, 2012, 02:09:51 PM

Its an ok pick if the top CB isnt on the board. With Claiborne still there though, its hard for me to rationalize the thinking behind it.
 Hey Skull I hear you on RBs being on the downside by the time they hit free agency. But that was mostly when every team had a workhoarse type back. Look at the production the falcons got from Turner who was a part time guy in SD. Cant think of to many part time RBs hitting the market though. Snelling, maybe Pierre Thomas? Even though he has played well they will be looking to keep Ingram involved as much as possible. Since he got hurt(Ingram), Ivory showed he deserves carries, and Sproles showed he can excell like a traditional RB as well. The odd man out is either Ivory or Thomas. My money is on Thomas because he is older.
: January 18, 2012, 02:12:39 PM buchead

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 18, 2012, 02:22:46 PM

whos going to back Blount up if he gets injuried?  or sits out due to contract demands?  or gets benched or kicked off the team?  or if the new coaching staff determines he isn't very good.  at the very least we need a back capable of carrying the load.

MasterC25

Starter
#29 : January 18, 2012, 02:32:54 PM

I dont get your logic. If you believe that Trent Richardson who is head and shoulders better than the next rated RB, "isnt that special" then why even pick a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round who would be mediocre or bad compared to TR's "not special skill set. I would be trilled to have TR as a Buc as he would immediate be a top 3 RB in th NFL as far as his physical attributes. Great Runners can make a mediocre line like the Bucs look good. Plus he immediate commands the attention of DC to drop an extra man in the box which should open passing lanes for Freeman.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Mel Kiper's First Mock Draft Has Us Passing On Claiborne For... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools