Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who would be the best for #5 ? « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

michael89156

Hall of Famer

: January 19, 2012, 01:33:00 AM

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Search Philosophy: Isn't This All About No. 5?

By Tom Edrington(Featured Columnist) on January 17, 2012   

The Bucs cannot succeed if Josh Freeman doesn't succeed.
Streeter Lecka/Getty Images

Let's take a quick timeout and talk about what this coaching search for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers is supposed to accomplish.

You've seen an array of names with varied resumes. Offensive guys, defensive guys, old guys and plenty of them.

What is the real underlying theme for this franchise? Mark Dominik has already told us that:

"It's all about [No.] 5," he told us a long time ago.

That is an important mantra at One Buccaneer Place. It is all about Josh Freeman. Freeman was drafted with the belief that he is a true "franchise quarterback." Look around the league and you know what that means.

Here's where things get sketchy. There are some questions popping up, especially after this horrible, horrible season we just witnessed, as to Freeman's true potential, his true capacity to be that "franchise" quarterback.

The good news is that he has shown signs of true brilliance, as he did during the 2010 season. The bad news is he looked the way he looked in 2011.

When you look at the guy from a physical standpoint, he's exactly what you would draw up6'6", 260, good arm, can make throws. But the haunting question remains: Is Josh Freeman the next Ben Roethlisberger or the next Joe Flacco?

Basically, the Buccaneers bet their future on Freeman, at the urging of former coach Raheem Morris.

If Freeman is more Flacco than Roethlisberger, then this franchise is in trouble for a long time.

Which brings us back to this ongoing interview process over there at One Buccaneer Place.

Mike Zimmer's in today. But does a guy like Zimmer have the ability to bring in someone to help No. 5?

The Bucs have asked for and received permission to speak with Packers QB coach Tom Clements. And when you look at his body of work with the most important position on the field, you've got to think a guy like that can do a world of good for No. 5. At the worst, he would be able to find out if No. 5 can hack it or not, if he's a Roethlisberger or a Flacco.

The Bucs have also asked to interview Joe Philbin from Green Bay, but you have to wonder if his mind and heart are truly in to all of this right now, considering the recent tragic loss of his son.

Whatever happens, the Dominik-Glazer rock-turning expedition continues. They're turning over a lot of stones, that's for certain.

You can't help but wonder what they're going to find.

But in the end, isn't it all about No. 5?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1027543-tampa-bay-buccaneers-search-philosophy-isnt-this-all-about-five

bashear

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 19, 2012, 01:37:08 AM

In the end, this was a whole lot of words to say nothing.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 19, 2012, 01:40:21 AM

Maybe a Philbin and Clements combo might be best for Free.   I still like Marty though.

GMC 93

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 19, 2012, 01:47:31 AM

A Hue Jackson/Clements as OC. Upgrade at LG (Nicks), Draft Blackmon. Done.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 19, 2012, 01:51:59 AM

A Hue Jackson/Clements as OC. Upgrade at LG (Nicks), Draft Blackmon. Done.

Not bad, I like it.

SunnyD

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 19, 2012, 02:05:05 AM

This is a point that I don't think has been hammered in enough since the season ended.

If the next coach can't make Freeman the guy, our franchise is going to be in the dumps for awhile.

It's a big deal.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 19, 2012, 02:08:07 AM

This is a point that I don't think has been hammered in enough since the season ended.

If the next coach can't make Freeman the guy, our franchise is going to be in the dumps for awhile.

It's a big deal.

I hear ya, and I think the Glazers know that its about Freeman.

tatmanfish

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 19, 2012, 02:12:51 AM

He has all the talent, he just needs better tools, better coaching, and better decision making. Hell have a full off-season this year, so it should be fairly telling if they actually make any upgrades to the offense and coaching.

Quote from: Illuminator
You were simply too smart for me.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 19, 2012, 02:14:57 AM

No Marty? REALLYYYY!?!?

I mean...REALLLY?!?!!?!

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#9 : January 19, 2012, 06:07:32 AM

Hopefully they are looking for a coach that will trade #5 for #15.

tonto

Starter

#10 : January 19, 2012, 06:12:17 AM

No, it should not be "all about 5".  If it is, we're in trouble.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 19, 2012, 06:42:11 AM

It's a big deal.
Not really. If he sucks again, you go draft Matt Barkley, situation fixed.

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 19, 2012, 07:08:01 AM

Just because Zim is a defensive guy doesn't mean he can't help Free either. I'm sure he would bring a qualified OC with him and more importantly he wouldn't kiss his ass and would make him work harder.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 19, 2012, 07:53:33 AM

Would the Bucs get extra compensation for getting the lessor QB?

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 19, 2012, 08:00:11 AM

Would the Bucs get extra compensation for getting the lessor QB?
the Glazers would.  they'd sell out every home game and get a 10,000+ bump in season ticket holders.

Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Who would be the best for #5 ? « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools