Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The President will be speaking about the "fair share" « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
: January 21, 2012, 08:57:15 AM

How many will connect the concept?  Should be interesting.

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

dark uncle

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 21, 2012, 09:34:37 AM

why do I get the impression he isn't talking about how much politicians make???

spartan

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 21, 2012, 10:03:59 AM

The great thing about "fair share" is that not only does it imply that some people are not only paying insufficient, but it also implies that they are consciously avoiding paying.

When he tells me what someones fair share is, perhaps then I will listen. I suspect that what he really means is simple; more.

dbucfan

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 21, 2012, 12:32:10 PM

why do I get the impression he isn't talking about how much politicians make???
bc it won't be about that?  LOL.  We will see how close to "to each according to his need" we get with this one

\"A Great Coach has to have a Patient Wife, A Loyal Dog, and a Great Quarterback. . . . but not necessarily in that order\" ~ Coach Bud Grant

deadzone

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 21, 2012, 12:47:12 PM

Actually, I don't care if he robs the wealthy, won't change my status....How many hundreds of millions does it take to satisfy someone? Good question for George Soros................

mjs020294

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 21, 2012, 01:14:55 PM

Actually, I don't care if he robs the wealthy, won't change my status....How many hundreds of millions does it take to satisfy someone? Good question for George Soros................

Well that is the easy, and selfish, way of looking at things.  Theoretically any shift in the taxation system to raise more form the wealthier would probably include more taxes for anyone on above average earnings.  So basically if you earn more than $47k (ave per capita) there is a good chance you'll be paying  more if the government need more money.

The only thing that really needs to happen is another higher rate bracket (42-45%) for anyone earning more that XXX (I'd go with $500k-$600k).  The investment taxation also needs looking at.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 21, 2012, 01:46:18 PM

Well, we have got to feed the beast somehow.<sigh> When a government decides to wage never ending wars, etc. then someone has to foot the bill. So, guess what, it's going to be you and me. Where and how the lines are drawn between who pays more is almost academic and only shifts on a very superficial level according to the prevailing political climate. Until big government shrinks, issues involving of who pays what will continue on forever. Never a fix just a momentary band aid to calm the squeakiest wheel.

spartan

Hall of Famer
#7 : January 21, 2012, 04:23:30 PM

The "beast" is like my dog. The more I give her the more she eats. Unless I decide to put her on a diet she would just get fatter and fatter and demand more. Sound familiar?

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#8 : January 21, 2012, 04:56:36 PM

'What you do for your country" includes paying your fair share of taxes.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 21, 2012, 05:23:50 PM

I hear Kennedy talking about "doing for your country" and the "freedom of man" But he didn't mention government at all and he sure didn't mention taxes. Good clip of Kennedy but it has not a thing to do w/ this thread.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 21, 2012, 05:34:26 PM

I hear Kennedy talking about "doing for your country" and the "freedom of man" But he didn't mention government at all and he sure didn't mention taxes. Good clip of Kennedy but it has not a thing to do w/ this thread.

He didn't mention Peace Corps either. But since most of you haven't served your country in any manner, paying taxes is pretty much your only opportunity to support your country (infrastructure, assisting your fellow American who may be poor, homeless,  your military, medical research, etc etc.). Pay your share...pull your weight. It had to be spelled out for you, unfortunately.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 21, 2012, 05:43:24 PM

God Bless the Simpleton.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 21, 2012, 05:48:58 PM

Pay taxes to the country? Whisky Tango Foxtrot are you talking about. I've never received a bill for taxes from the country before.

Cyrus

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 21, 2012, 05:50:55 PM

God Bless the Simpleton.

Dude, you crack me up.

Morgan

Hall of Famer
#14 : January 21, 2012, 06:03:08 PM

Taxes = in support of your country's needs.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 9
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  Pirate's Cove (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: The President will be speaking about the "fair share" « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools