Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dom will draw my wrath if Sherman is hired « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 5 6 7

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#90 : January 22, 2012, 01:19:47 PM

This is an absolutely true story, I swear:

If anyone cares, I remember years ago doing a hire for a technical lead guy in my business. There was this young guy from Minnesota who applied, and his resume was the first across my desk. He was brilliant, his resume was superb, his experience was incredible, and he was willing to work for LESS money because he wanted to move to Florida. So I did a phone interview with him, and he blew me away.

So what did I do? I spent the next couple of weeks interviewing about a half dozen more people for the job, only to then fly the first fellow down from Minnesota for a second interview, face-to-face. I offered him the job at the end of the face-to-face second.

But in the end, it all worked out. I got the guy I wanted (who turned out to be incredibly stellar, maybe the best hire I've ever made) and he was pleased as punch to be here. Looking back, I probably wasted my time. I may have jeopardized the hire as well. But why? Why did I make that "mistake"? Because I felt like I just couldn't hire the first guy without having some others to compare him to. Oh yes, I absolutely KNEW the first guy was stellar. But during that process it just FELT like I needed to see more people. I wanted to pull the trigger after the first interview, I really did, but my experienced "hiring mind" told me that the process had to be more involved than that. It couldn't be so simple: 1) advertise job, 2) perfect candidate applies on day one, 3) hire.

I mean, what if I hired the guy and then there was an EVEN MORE STELLAR guy waiting for an interview? Yes, I know, perhaps not too likely. Still, at that time I felt I had to go through the process. In hindsight, I would have saved myself and the other applicants the trouble and just hired my man on day one.

Like I said, you guys probably don't care, but that's an absolutely true experience I had that does give me a little insight into the hiring mindset, I guess.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#91 : January 22, 2012, 01:22:32 PM

This feels a bit more like Sherman is the tallest midget but I hear you.

I think Sherman will be decent.

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#92 : January 22, 2012, 01:23:02 PM

Do you know if that guy is still working there?

SpeedInSpaceBucs!

Hall of Famer

#93 : January 22, 2012, 01:23:42 PM

Intuition is a terrible predictor of job performance. Experience, biographical info, testing results, personality; these things predict job performance.

Madman

Hall of Famer
#94 : January 22, 2012, 01:26:12 PM

I hire people all the time and in my experience, the best employees were obvious fits in the first interview. The mistake hires were people I had to be convinced to hire.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#95 : January 22, 2012, 01:29:12 PM

If anyone cares, I remember years ago doing a hire for a technical lead guy in my business. There was this young guy from Minnesota who applied, and his resume was the first across my desk. He was brilliant, his resume was superb, his experience was incredible, and he was willing to work for LESS money because he wanted to move to Florida. So I did a phone interview with him, and he blew me away.

So what did I do? I spent the next couple of weeks interviewing about a half dozen more people for the job, only to then fly the first fellow down from Minnesota for a second interview, face-to-face. I offered him the job at the end of the face-to-face second.

But in the end, it all worked out. I got the guy I wanted (who turned out to be incredibly stellar, maybe the best hire I've ever made) and he was pleased as punch to be here. Looking back, I probably wasted my time. I may have jeopardized the hire as well. But why? Why did I make that "mistake"? Because I felt like I just couldn't hire the first guy without having some others to compare him to. Oh yes, I absolutely KNEW the first guy was stellar. But during that process it just FELT like I needed to see more people. I wanted to pull the trigger after the first interview, I really did, but my experienced "hiring mind" told me that the process had to be more involved than that. It couldn't be so simple: 1) advertise job, 2) perfect candidate applies on day one, 3) hire.

I mean, what if I hired the guy and then there was an EVEN MORE STELLAR guy waiting for an interview? Yes, I know, perhaps not too likely. Still, at that time I felt I had to go through the process. In hindsight, I would have saved myself and the other applicants the trouble and just hired my man on day one.

Like I said, you guys probably don't care, but that's an absolutely true experience I had that does give me a little insight into the hiring mindset, I guess.

Ok..... so when do we interview the impeccable candidate??

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#96 : January 22, 2012, 01:37:27 PM

Never, I think. After about four years working for me, he approached me with a request: he always wanted to run his own business, so he asked me if I would invest in him starting his own. So I did. Really great guy, I couldn't say no. He's doing very well, and he re-paid my startup loan in less than two years.

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#97 : January 22, 2012, 01:42:51 PM

Francis Sherman- bending over

Is Jeff Garcia behind him?

Ju1ce

Starter

#98 : January 22, 2012, 01:59:26 PM

I heard Dominik just logged into PR Red Board, saw this thread and immediately called the FBI to be placed in witness protection. Man, you scared the shlt out of him.

LOL, good one, ABF.

And people act like MD has the final decision-making power on the new head coach.
Thanks for posting that letter in the other thread. My only recollection really was the Sapp/Chad Clifton/Sherman incident. I never liked Sherman since then. After reading that letter, I can understand why he reacted the way he did. Shows the extent of the feelings has has for his players. I can't say that letter has changed my mind about wanting him as the HC. But after reading that, I won't be pissed off if he is hired. I'll take the approach of...."OK, this is our new HC. Let's support him and see what he can do to help us."

+1

TheChronicHotAir

Hall of Famer

#99 : January 22, 2012, 02:00:17 PM

Francis Sherman- bending over

Is Jeff Garcia behind him?

No, whole Big 12 Conference..... along with all the Green Bay fans that wanted him canned & got their wish.  ;D

I like Sapp's "Put a Jersey On" dance, btw...

Ju1ce

Starter

#100 : January 22, 2012, 02:01:16 PM

Not sure, my phone hasn't rang yet...

Captain Hindsight

Hall of Famer

#101 : January 22, 2012, 02:05:43 PM

Cowher has a red tie on today on the pre-game show. JUST SAYING GUYS.

Hate

Hall of Famer
#102 : January 22, 2012, 03:57:01 PM

Its gotta be a sign!!

-------------------------------------------------------

I thought Lovie said he wanted quickness & speed, even at the QB position?

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#103 : January 22, 2012, 06:06:08 PM

Its gotta be a sign!!

It was the secret signal to the Glazer boys. "If I wear a gold tie, I'm going to pass. If I wear a red tie, then I'm in!"

BucsFan4090

Hall of Famer

#104 : January 22, 2012, 06:23:44 PM

Can we have a Cowher-watch tonight? Can someone go post up at Orlando International and Tampa International airports this evening for all inbound flights from New York?

Page: 1 ... 5 6 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Dom will draw my wrath if Sherman is hired « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools