Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cheap Glazers! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 6

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 23, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »

Cheap Glazers!

January 23, 2012 Coaching Staff

Well so much for that – the Glazers offered Chip Kelly $6 million per year according to the Sports Director from KGW-TV in Portland.

Bold

January 23, 2012Coaching Staff

There are a lot of ways to look at the Bucs’ failed attempt to nab their guy, but I’m sure the consensus in Tampa is, “embarrassing.” Certainly that will be the toxic Tampa media’s spin. Left out of the conversation completely, they’ve dogged the process from day 1 – “what’s taking so long,” “where are the rock-stars?,” etc.

Ira Kaufman is exhibit A. On the Sileo show this morning he laughed at how embarrassing it was that Kelly turned down the Bucs to stay at Oregon, a football program that only Ira seems to think is on the rocks (because the QB and the RB are leaving). News flash, Ira – players are always leaving college.

Ira added that it was more embarrassing then when Bill Parcells jilted the Bucs, because he’s a HOF NFL coach, not a college coach. To me, that’s exactly ass-backwards. When Bill Parcells kicked the tires and said no, he wasn’t saying no the NFL, he was saying no to the Bucs – the owners, the roster, the facilities, the town. A year later, he said yes to Dallas. Kelly’s rejection says something different – he’s not prepared to leave the world of the college game to go the grind of the NFL. Ira seems hopelessly lost in a different era when he says that years ago a college coach, even at the highest levels would kill to go to the NFL. Hello? We just saw Bobby Petrino bolt in the middle of an NFL season to go back to college. Saban left the Dolphins after two seasons to return to college football. Hot offensive coordinators Charlie Weis and Bill O’Brien also made the switch. And why not? If you are a good college coach at a big program, you get great pay with lots of perks (Kelly is making $3.4 million, more than Raheem Morris), you work fewer hours, and you have long-term job stability.

Sure, it’s going to be awkward for the Glazers as they go about hiring the next coach, and it won’t be easy to sell the fans on option number 2. These things have a way of working out. I don’t recall Tony Dungy being upset that he was second fiddle to Steve Spurrier, or Jon Gruden angry that they failed to get Bill Parcells (heck, Gruden even embraced Bill Muir his own). I also don’t recall fans being upset with the results those coaches brought to town.

Even though I’m not a fan of hiring college coaches, I look at what happened in a much more positive light. To me, it says that the Glazers are cognizant of how their recent stewardship is being viewed, and are starting to take steps to right the ship. Just getting Kelly to the negotiating table is significant. For one thing, he supposedly has a $3.5 million buyout clause. Considering that he’s already making $3.4 million per year, my guess is the Glazers would have had to offer him a significant raise – $5 million per year? – just to get as far as they did. I also suspect that there were assurances about personnel – i.e., free agency. Those have to be considered positives.

As for those who think the Glazers have been dithering, well…clearly they weren’t. They were busy, we just didn’t know it. Contra Sileo, they had a plan all along, they just didn’t want to announce it for all the world to hear.

Be prepared to hear amazing claims by the toxic Tampa media. Ira and and Sileo suggested that the Bucs were screwing up the draft by not having the coaching search wrapped up already. Ira’s nervous that we are missing out on all the great assistants. Get real.

I’ll keep banging this drum until the hiring is done – Worrying about assistants and draft picks is silly. What’s critical is getting the right head coach. There are plenty of good assistants out there, we just don’t know all their names. Dungy repeatedly plucked great coaches out of obscurity – Jim Caldwell, Mike Tomlin, Lovie Smith, and Rod Marinelli were unknown coaches plying their trade at mostly obscure locales. As for the draft picks, if the Bucs can’t sort out their draft choices with 3 months to go before draft day, then there is something fundamentally wrong with their college scouting department.

So what’s next? I suspect the Glazers have a pecking order already established, and they’ll move quickly to option 2. I suppose it’s possible that they want to interview someone from San Francisco (Greg Roman?) or Baltimore (Chuck Pagano), or perhaps someone from a Super Bowl team like Perry Fewell. But my gut tells me that they’ll want to wrap this up.

http://www.betterthanaveragebucsblog.com/

baybuc35

Hall of Famer
« #1 : January 23, 2012, 01:29:40 PM »

I think we should stay down this road and try to throw money at someone else. Once you go down this road it's hard to go back

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #2 : January 23, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »

I think we should stay down this road and try to throw money at someone else. Once you go down this road it's hard to go back

College coach you mean?   I would prefer Cowher or Marty.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

cyberdude558

Hall of Famer

« #3 : January 23, 2012, 01:33:02 PM »

It's not really the coach's salary that Bucs fans are angry at. It's the lack of spending during free agency periods over the past 6 years.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #4 : January 23, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »

It's not really the coach's salary that Bucs fans are angry at. It's the lack of spending during free agency periods over the past 6 years.

LOL

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 23, 2012, 01:35:15 PM »

LOL

Lol

natelotof

Rookie

« #6 : January 23, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »

Does anyone think we will spend money on FA this year? I would think they would since they offered chip $6 million.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 23, 2012, 01:45:10 PM »

Does anyone think we will spend money on FA this year? I would think they would since they offered chip $6 million.

They better if they want any fans to come out this year.

DailyRich68

Starter
« #8 : January 23, 2012, 01:48:13 PM »

So people will just switch from "The Glazers are cheap!" to "This team is so terrible no one will coach it!"

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

« #9 : January 23, 2012, 01:49:00 PM »

So people will just switch from "The Glazers are cheap!" to "This team is so terrible no one will coach it!"

That's what I think it is.

PirateHazin

Practice Squad

« #10 : January 23, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »

It isn't being cheap. It is dealing with a GM that people don't respect. The Bucs GM will be the reason they settle for far less than they should. This is sad but true.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 23, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »

Naw, you can bet Marty and Sherman and Chilly and a few others are checking their phones frequently.

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 23, 2012, 01:58:22 PM »

It isn't being cheap. It is dealing with a GM that people don't respect. The Bucs GM will be the reason they settle for far less than they should. This is sad but true.

Who are these "people" you are referring too?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
« #13 : January 23, 2012, 02:03:34 PM »

Because a guy who was not on anyone's list anyway and who has the backing of Nike said "no"  How do we get from that to "no one"?

PirateHazin

Practice Squad

« #14 : January 23, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »

Those people are named Fisher, Kelly and Marty. Do you think Marty will come here and answer to the current GM. Marty doesn't have time to explain why FA #1 needs to be signed. He doesn't want to have to beg for a player that fills a need that our current GM cant grasp. Think of it this way, Marty will be speaking Russian to our current GM. The Bucs current GM wont give up his position to allow Marty to be here. Also, if I were a player or agent I would need some assurances that my services in Tampa wouldn't be wasted. Not having Marty, or not having an experienced coach is  going to convince players or coaches to come here. So, get rid of GM, hire Marty and give him the power to change this team to playoff caliber. Or, you can keep current GM and get coach that will "work" or "bend" to his will and you will get more of the same results. I want wins now. Marty brings that. It . amazes me that people can not see it
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cheap Glazers! « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools