Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cheap Glazers! « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 23, 2012, 02:09:59 PM

Let's clear this up real quick.

The Glazers HAVE been cheap, right on through the 2011 season. If the Glazers spend enough over time, they may lose their reputation for being cheap.

Apparently if they spend a lot on a coach today, it will actually rewrite the past years of being so cheap for some people.

Anyone else find this logic troubling?

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#16 : January 23, 2012, 02:15:59 PM

DefenseWins, there have been a ton of comments on radio and on MBs suggesting that the Glazers are dumpster diving for a head coach (one example being that they weren't in the mix for Jeff Fisher because he was out of their price range).

The point is the Glazers have been cheap, this suggests they might not be so cheap going forward. 

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 23, 2012, 02:19:34 PM

Those people are named Fisher, Kelly and Marty. Do you think Marty will come here and answer to the current GM. Marty doesn't have time to explain why FA #1 needs to be signed. He doesn't want to have to beg for a player that fills a need that our current GM cant grasp. Think of it this way, Marty will be speaking Russian to our current GM. The Bucs current GM wont give up his position to allow Marty to be here. Also, if I were a player or agent I would need some assurances that my services in Tampa wouldn't be wasted. Not having Marty, or not having an experienced coach is  going to convince players or coaches to come here. So, get rid of GM, hire Marty and give him the power to change this team to playoff caliber. Or, you can keep current GM and get coach that will "work" or "bend" to his will and you will get more of the same results. I want wins now. Marty brings that. It . amazes me that people can not see it

Marty wouldn't have the time?   Lets see, right now he is sitting at home unemployed, seeing the UFL folded.  I don't think he would be as concerned about Dominik as you seem to be.   Is that the same Dom that drafted Freeman, Bowers, Clayborn, Foster among others?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

spartan

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 23, 2012, 02:20:26 PM

DefenseWins, there have been a ton of comments on radio and on MBs suggesting that the Glazers are dumpster diving for a head coach (one example being that they weren't in the mix for Jeff Fisher because he was out of their price range).

The point is the Glazers have been cheap, this suggests they might not be so cheap going forward.

Or they are willing to spend money now in an attempt to not spend it later, like on multple FA's which would end up costing a lot more in the long run?

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#19 : January 23, 2012, 02:22:27 PM

That's why I used the word "suggests," spartan.

FinkleisEinhorn

Second String

#20 : January 23, 2012, 02:22:49 PM

It's not really the coach's salary that Bucs fans are angry at. It's the lack of spending during free agency periods over the past 6 years.

Yep.

While it's a good sign the Glazers at least got Chip to the negotiating table, that alone does not mean they aren't cheap.

Big whoop. They were willing to bump the annual salary of the team's leader by $3 mil. A drop in the bucket compared to the tens of millions they have stashed away from FA.

PirateHazin

Practice Squad

#21 : January 23, 2012, 02:29:20 PM

Yes, wouldn't waste his time.  The man is a legend in the NFL and has accomplished much. 2 losing seasons in 20. Wow, would be nice for the Bucs to be able to say that. If you like the GM, good for you. You must be really happy. I am glad that you are so enamored with his picks.  You can bash Marty all you want. He won games wherever he went. I thought that was what Buc fans wanted. I guess you would rather delight in your GM's draft picks that have done what?

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 23, 2012, 02:32:03 PM

The Glazers HAVE been cheap, right on through the 2011 season. If the Glazers spend enough over time, they may lose their reputation for being cheap.

Apparently if they spend a lot on a coach today, it will actually rewrite the past years of being so cheap for some people.

You should refrain from using the word "logic"

Also, it does not help your case much to completely mischaracterize a competing point of view.  Maybe I missed it, but has someone said "if they spend a lot on a coach today, it will actually rewrite the past years of being so cheap" ?   I think some people disagree with your asessment of cheap to start with.  Funny that you skip over that part . . .  what does that tell us?

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 23, 2012, 02:34:20 PM

Yes, wouldn't waste his time.  The man is a legend in the NFL and has accomplished much. 2 losing seasons in 20. Wow, would be nice for the Bucs to be able to say that. If you like the GM, good for you. You must be really happy. I am glad that you are so enamored with his picks.  You can bash Marty all you want. He won games wherever he went. I thought that was what Buc fans wanted. I guess you would rather delight in your GM's draft picks that have done what?

I am actually a big Marty supporter, always have been.  I wasn't thrilled with the Kelly [non]hire.  Why would you assume Marty is some pompous ass like Billick and would want full contol?

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

#24 : January 23, 2012, 02:34:56 PM

At this point, all it does is eliminate the notion that the Bucs were looking to go bargain basement pricing on their new head coach. To me, that idea never held water, anyhow. If they wanted a cheap head coach, they'd have kept Morris and they wouldn't have bothered to try and lure Cowher here.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#25 : January 23, 2012, 02:35:13 PM

It's not really the coach's salary that Bucs fans are angry at. It's the lack of spending during free agency periods over the past 6 years.

Yep.

While it's a good sign the Glazers at least got Chip to the negotiating table, that alone does not mean they aren't cheap.

Big whoop. They were willing to bump the annual salary of the team's leader by $3 mil. A drop in the bucket compared to the tens of millions they have stashed away from FA.

Love the ever changing double standard.  The board has been awash with comments that Gruden was fired because the HGlazers were cheap (even thought the kept paying him) and that Morris was ONLY hired because they were cheap, but now that thye offer a guy $6 million per year (accoridng to the reporter who first broke the report), coaches salaries are meaningless and a "drop in the bucket"

Funny stuff

Booker Reese

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 23, 2012, 02:35:37 PM

At this point, all it does is eliminate the notion that the Bucs were looking to go bargain basement pricing on their new head coach. To me, that idea never held water, anyhow. If they wanted a cheap head coach, they'd have kept Morris and they wouldn't have bothered to try and lure Cowher here.

Exactly.

VinBucFan

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 23, 2012, 02:35:41 PM

exactly

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

#28 : January 23, 2012, 02:35:58 PM

Exactly

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....

DefenseWins

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 23, 2012, 02:46:45 PM

You should refrain from using the word "logic"

Also, it does not help your case much to completely mischaracterize a competing point of view.  Maybe I missed it, but has someone said "if they spend a lot on a coach today, it will actually rewrite the past years of being so cheap" ?   I think some people disagree with your asessment of cheap to start with.  Funny that you skip over that part . . .  what does that tell us?

You have no point.

When people say... "See?! Who thinks the Glazers are cheap now?!" or something similarly as foolish like the post you created the other day, regarding the almost-hiring of Kelly, it is clear that they are delusional.

Nothing re-writes the past.

If you'd like to defend the Glazers go ahead. It is not my job to crystalize your viewpoint. I guess what that tells us is that I presume that people are not so dense at to deny condemning facts.

Perhaps you can explain to us all what we're missing?  ..sigh

It is a new day in TAMPA BAY!    GO BUCS!!
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Cheap Glazers! « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools