Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: [ESPN] Buccaneers are officially the only team in the NFL w/o a Head Coach... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#30 : January 25, 2012, 10:01:43 PM

You wonder maybe not Fewell but Gilbride. In 16 years as an OC he's led 9 top 10 offenses with 3 different franchises (HOU, JAX, NYG). He's worked for Cowher and Coughlin.

The downside is that he's been an HC in SD only lasted 22 games and only won 6 of those - granted his QB's were (guys who tossed 100+ passes in a season) Craig Whelihan, Stan Humphries, Ryan Leafand god help him Jim Everett started a game as well so maybe no one would do very well under those conditions.

Ryan Leaf AND Chris Everett? I wouldn't hold his record against him too much. He was doomed.

Everett was good at one point but this was that last stand time and he was way, way, past his expiration date.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#31 : January 25, 2012, 10:07:51 PM

I just threw out Gilbride's name in another thread.  The more I think about it the more I like him.  He's helped develop Eli into an elite level QB, which is impressive considering a few years ago people were calling for his head.  He likes to incorporate a power-speed combo at RB.  We already have the power part.  He found a gem in Victor Cruz.  His O-line isn't exactly filled with big names, but they've been playing as well as anyone in the postseason.

He's also been around long enough to have contacts to build a staff.  And he can take a punch.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#32 : January 25, 2012, 10:09:52 PM

I just threw out Gilbride's name in another thread.  The more I think about it the more I like him.  He's helped develop Eli into an elite level QB, which is impressive considering a few years ago people were calling for his head.  He likes to incorporate a power-speed combo at RB.  We already have the power part.  He found a gem in Victor Cruz.  His O-line isn't exactly filled with big names, but they've been playing as well as anyone in the postseason.

He's also been around long enough to have contacts to build a staff.  And he can take a punch.

The SD gig looks really bad but anytime the words "Ryan Leaf" and "was your starting QB" are tossed about all bets are off. His record of getting results starting with the run ' shoot days and continuing on until today with more traditional sets is actually pretty impressive.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#33 : January 25, 2012, 10:10:25 PM

You wonder maybe not Fewell but Gilbride. In 16 years as an OC he's led 9 top 10 offenses with 3 different franchises (HOU, JAX, NYG). He's worked for Cowher and Coughlin.

The downside is that he's been an HC in SD only lasted 22 games and only won 6 of those - granted his QB's were (guys who tossed 100+ passes in a season) Craig Whelihan, Stan Humphries, Ryan Leafand god help him Jim Everett started a game as well so maybe no one would do very well under those conditions.

Ryan Leaf AND Chris Everett? I wouldn't hold his record against him too much. He was doomed.

Everett was good at one point but this was that last stand time and he was way, way, past his expiration date.

Yeah, unfortunately I was in Los Angeles in 1992 when he had the comeback against us. I took so much crap over that one. I still smile whenever I think about the Rome situation all things considered.

nubcake

Hall of Famer

#34 : January 25, 2012, 10:15:28 PM

Yea sucks we won't have scouts at the Senior Bowl or anything........:P

Because it's so much easier to scout when you have absolutely no idea what your head coach and coordinators will be looking for since, well, you don't have any yet.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#35 : January 25, 2012, 10:18:15 PM

Because it's so much easier to scout when you have absolutely no idea what your head coach and coordinators will be looking for since, well, you don't have any yet.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess the new head coach and coordinators will be looking for talent. That would definitely improve our team at this point. It's not like we're just fine tuning here.

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#36 : January 25, 2012, 10:19:55 PM

Again listening to former scouts and GM's while you scout everyone during the year by the Senior Bowl you want to be focusing your attention on "your" guys whoever they are. This notion that "we have scouts" and them scouting anything at this game is no harm isn't true. We are operating at a relative disadvantage.

pewtersurf

Hall of Famer
#37 : January 25, 2012, 10:25:34 PM

Again listening to former scouts and GM's while you scout everyone during the year by the Senior Bowl you want to be focusing your attention on "your" guys whoever they are. This notion that "we have scouts" and them scouting anything at this game is no harm isn't true. We are operating at a relative disadvantage.

HUGE disadvantage, but from our history of drafting we cant do much worse.  So the possibility of going from Terrible to disgusting isn't too much of a loss for us as a team.  As the saying goes around these parts.  There's always next year.

Get your Battle Flag!  Join the Fight!

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#38 : January 25, 2012, 10:27:11 PM

How many Senior Bowl guys are drafted after the first round? Serious question.

If we had a later pick in round one I could see the obvious disadvantage but to take one of the top 5 guys, not so much. It could even work against us. Gruden supposedly chose Cadillac due to coaching him in the senior bowl.  ;)

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#39 : January 25, 2012, 10:33:15 PM

There's about 100 guys at the SB and most of them are drafted after R1 because:

1. The top seniors almost never show
2. All the declared juniors can't play
3. IIRC about 70% of the players at the game are drafted and about 85% wind up on NFL rosters after you get the UDFA's included

The shrine game is a lot more of a crap shoot but the senior bowl gets a ton of guys drafted.

Axxon

Pro Bowler
#40 : January 25, 2012, 10:35:31 PM

There's about 100 guys at the SB and most of them are drafted after R1 because:

1. The top seniors almost never show
2. All the declared juniors can't play
3. IIRC about 70% of the players at the game are drafted and about 85% wind up on NFL rosters after you get the UDFA's included

The shrine game is a lot more of a crap shoot but the senior bowl gets a ton of guys drafted.

Pretty darned important then.
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: [ESPN] Buccaneers are officially the only team in the NFL w/o a Head Coach... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools