Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lavonte David.......... « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3

BucsFanForLife

Starter

: January 27, 2012, 04:52:22 AM

Lavonte David

LB Lavonte David, Nebraska: One of the more impressive players so far this week has been Lavonte David, the tackling machine from Lincoln. However where he has been most impressive is his drops, showing fluid hips and above average footwork for a linebacker when asked to turn and run. David isn't the most physically imposing at 6-0 1/2" and 225 pounds, but he is a sure-tackler with the first step quickness and natural instincts needed for the position. For David, it's not a question about "ability", but rather a question of "where does he fit?

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"GO BUCS!!!!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

BucsFanForLife

Starter

#1 : January 27, 2012, 04:54:37 AM

Will he drop to us in the 2nd?

e: Jan 26, 2012

Lavonte David has certainly been a big name this week at the 2012 Senior Bowl. The linebacker says he has been getting some great feedback from the Vikings staff. He discusses improvements made, and how exactly his career as a Husker has helped prepare him for this step.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"GO BUCS!!!!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#2 : January 27, 2012, 06:57:07 AM

Probably. The Huskers are known for putting out bust at LB a lot.

GMACsBlankey

Hall of Famer

#3 : January 27, 2012, 07:35:01 AM

undersized, not overly physical, fluid in drops, tackling machine? been there, done that. No thank you.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#4 : January 27, 2012, 08:46:13 AM

undersized, not overly physical, fluid in drops, tackling machine? been there, done that. No thank you.

That is an odd statement for someone who has a pic of Ahmad Black as his sig. Black was considered undersized and slow.

I understand people's hesitation at taking any LBs that are labeled as undersized. I have those same reservations because Geno Hayes sucks, Ruud played like a rag doll, and we have been ran all over for the past 5 years. I'm tired of it too. With that said, you gotta look further than weight. If David was 6'2" to 6'4" and only weighed 225lbs I would say no way, but at 6ft even he is a very solid 225lbs. He can add 10lbs to his frame in the NFL and it shouldn't be a problem. He is a sure tackler and great in coverage, which is very important to a 4-3. We need a Will like David. He could end up being another Ernie Simms, or he could be the next Derrick Brooks.

I think he is currently a little over rated. Most sites have him as the 3rd or 4th best OLB in the draft. That would likely mean early to mid 2nd round. I'd say if his stock cools off and he makes it to the 3rd round he would be a great pick for us. Vontaze Burfict, Lavonte David, Ronnell Lewis, and Mychal Kendricks are the only LBs I'm really interested in from this draft.
: January 27, 2012, 08:56:06 AM JDouble

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer

#5 : January 27, 2012, 09:41:58 AM

With the Schiano hire it makes me wonder of Doug Martin becomes a more viable candidate in the 2nd round.  I admit I haven't watched a ton of film on the guy but I know many posters on here, including yourself if I'm not mistaken JDub, have compared him to Ray Rice.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 27, 2012, 09:45:23 AM

maybe we get the real deal since Rice is a FA.

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#7 : January 27, 2012, 10:01:03 AM

speaking of the senior bowl did anyone else catch Mayock and whoever his cohost is talking up Raheem and what a great job he's doing coaching the DBs there and how he just loves football.....

buchead

Hall of Famer

#8 : January 27, 2012, 10:01:10 AM

Rice will be franchised. I do compare doug martin to rice. He has that 5'8 to 5'9 frame with over 200 pounds packed on it. Not a 4.3 guy but neither is ray, they both can still break big runs.
 At RB the height and weight ratio is very important. However JDouble a 225 pound LB is a 225 LB who will be tossed aside by linemen and FBs in the NFL. Im sick of undersized LBs.
 However LBs are getting smaller. I can remember some LB, (maybe that rookie McCarthy who took Ruuds spot) saying he never wants to be above 240 because the game is about short area quickness. And I guess Patrick Willis is only 235 so maybe Im just overreacting to the crappy undersized LBs we have had recently.
: January 27, 2012, 10:02:54 AM buchead

sunrisejeff

Hall of Famer

#9 : January 27, 2012, 10:03:29 AM

speaking of the senior bowl did anyone else catch Mayock and whoever his cohost is talking up Raheem and what a great job he's doing coaching the DBs there and how he just loves football.....

I think he is in the right place for himself for now.  I also think it was smart to turn down the Vikes DC job.....let him focus on DB's and continue to learn.  Learning defense from Haslett is a pretty good thing for him as well.

bucjoe

Hall of Famer
#10 : January 27, 2012, 10:04:11 AM

IMO, Lavonte David would make a great buc.  The difference between he and Ruud is that he is aggressive, not passive.  Also, he isn't a MLB but a Will.  Finally, I am a Seminole fan and he actually DOES remind me of the great Derrick Brooks in the way he plays.  Not saying he will be Derrick Brooks, just that he reminds me of him.  He is also very fast like DB was.  It was interesting to hear Davis and Mayock talking about him saying that coaches are always telling their players to " play faster, play faster", and the Senior Bowl coaches  actually had to tell him to slow down a little.

IMO, if Hightower isn't there for our 2nd round pick, I would LOVE to see them call his name as a new Buc.

.....just my opinion

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#11 : January 27, 2012, 12:46:14 PM

Rice will be franchised. I do compare doug martin to rice. He has that 5'8 to 5'9 frame with over 200 pounds packed on it. Not a 4.3 guy but neither is ray, they both can still break big runs.
 At RB the height and weight ratio is very important. However JDouble a 225 pound LB is a 225 LB who will be tossed aside by linemen and FBs in the NFL. Im sick of undersized LBs.
 However LBs are getting smaller. I can remember some LB, (maybe that rookie McCarthy who took Ruuds spot) saying he never wants to be above 240 because the game is about short area quickness. And I guess Patrick Willis is only 235 so maybe Im just overreacting to the crappy undersized LBs we have had recently.

Mr. Brooks was 6ft 225lbs as a rookie. Just sayin'

I think the biggest reason Buc fans look at weight is because Geno Hayes is listed as 6'1" 225lbs....so they think no way! The truth is I would bet $1000 that Geno has never been a pound over a true 215lbs. Geno looks like a safety. His frame is slight and he never bulked up. Plus he is actually closer to 6'2" than the 6'1" he is listed as. At the combine he was listed as 6'2". So 6'2" in that 215lbs to 220lbs range is not good.

David may move like a DB, but he has a thick build of a LB. I really don't think he would have a problem getting up to 235lbs, which is ideal for him. He measured in at 6ft 1/2" 225lb even at the senior bowl. We'll see if that changes at all at the combine, but he looks the part imo.
: January 27, 2012, 12:53:59 PM JDouble

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#12 : April 29, 2013, 10:44:47 PM

Bwahahaha.  :P

All The Way Tampa Bay

Hall of Famer
#13 : April 29, 2013, 10:45:16 PM

lol

youngone

Hall of Famer

#14 : April 29, 2013, 10:47:49 PM

lol

hahaha
Page: 1 2 3
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Lavonte David.......... « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools