Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trent Richardson « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 19

lyronmewis

Hall of Famer

#15 : January 29, 2012, 06:04:02 PM

I find it comical when people suggest how easy it is to find good RBs in the latter rounds.... when we haven't had a legit every down back since Warrick Dunn.

Just because we're bad at it doesn't mean we should go out and blow a #5 pick on a RB. It's not like he's guaranteed to be a great player either, see Cadillac.

I would take Richardson if Kalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne are off the board and there's no good deal to trade down.

shawn731

Starter

#16 : January 29, 2012, 07:01:12 PM

Hate-I think you hit it on the head we haven't been able to find a decent RB in later rd's but other teams have.  And if you look around the league it really is a crap shoot.  I do not want Richardson at #5.

My thinking is if we pass on CB @ 5 we have to pick up a FA for help.  That means we are going offense and at #5 who is there worth the 5th overall.  And there isn't one IMO that is worth it so you have to go CB Clairborne. 

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#17 : January 29, 2012, 07:17:22 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if he drops out of the top 10.

BucsBay

Hall of Famer
#18 : January 29, 2012, 07:19:16 PM

We should be able to find another back in rd 2-3 who could very well have Richardson type production.

And just who exactly? I could see Doug Martin, but he may have make himself a first rounder as well. I like Martin a lot, but Richardson is a way more physical and just beastly player. This offense needs help, and just because teams have found great all around RB's in later rounds doesn't mean you pass on one when he is exactly what the team needs.

freddy

Hall of Famer

#19 : January 29, 2012, 07:24:13 PM

I find it comical when people suggest how easy it is to find good RBs in the latter rounds.... when we haven't had a legit every down back since Warrick Dunn.

Just because we're bad at it doesn't mean we should go out and blow a #5 pick on a RB. It's not like he's guaranteed to be a great player either, see Cadillac.

I would take Richardson if Kalil, Blackmon, and Claiborne are off the board and there's no good deal to trade down.

Or maybe because the bust rate is so high we shouldn't waste another top 5 pick on a RB,

acacius

Hall of Famer

#20 : January 29, 2012, 07:26:39 PM

In fairness, I believe the list of running backs the team has drafted higher than the sixth round (there's a difference between not feeling like the team necessarily needs to spend a premium pick on the position and assuming any old crap will work) since Dunn is:

Travis Stevens
Cadillac WIlliams

For the most part, they haven't even tried.

BucBalla85

Hall of Famer

#21 : January 29, 2012, 07:27:19 PM

Or maybe because the bust rate is so high we shouldn't waste another top 5 pick on a RB,

+1 Freddy

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#22 : January 29, 2012, 07:31:48 PM

I won't be completely disgusted if we take Richardson. I think he is a great running back. I just can't see the value in using the #5 pick on a running back, especially when Doug Martin is every bit as good and would likely be there when we pick in the 2nd round. Just seems like there has to be a better option at #5.

XFactor

Hall of Famer

#23 : January 29, 2012, 07:33:13 PM

We should be able to find another back in rd 2-3 who could very well have Richardson type production.

And just who exactly? I could see Doug Martin, but he may have make himself a first rounder as well. I like Martin a lot, but Richardson is a way more physical and just beastly player. This offense needs help, and just because teams have found great all around RB's in later rounds doesn't mean you pass on one when he is exactly what the team needs.

If Martin goes in the first round it would be a huge reach.  I don't see any of the teams that are picking later in the first taking him.

buc-clone

Rookie

#24 : January 29, 2012, 07:33:28 PM

We should draft for need and make the safe pick, it has served us so well... You guys hating on Richardson are DB's like Claiborne. Claiborn got smoked by Richardson around the edge in the TD run in the BCS game.

freddy

Hall of Famer

#25 : January 29, 2012, 07:43:20 PM

We should draft for need and make the safe pick, it has served us so well... You guys hating on Richardson are DB's like Claiborne. Claiborn got smoked by Richardson around the edge in the TD run in the BCS game.

I'm "hating" as you call it on Richardson and I wouldn't take Claiborne either. If you want a better run game, build a better O-Line. Reiff!

Biggs3535

Hall of Famer
#26 : January 29, 2012, 07:43:48 PM

I won't be completely disgusted if we take Richardson. I think he is a great running back. I just can't see the value in using the #5 pick on a running back, especially when Doug Martin is every bit as good

You keep stating this as some fact, but you're the only guy on the planet not in Doug Martin's family that thinks this.  There is a reason Trent Richardson was a top recruit coming into the college and top draft pick going into the NFL.

JDouble

Hall of Famer
#27 : January 29, 2012, 07:46:06 PM

I don't get how Trent is so much more physical and "beastly" when he is only 1 1/2 inches taller and 5lbs bigger than Martin. Truth is Doug Martin is every bit as strong as Trent and he runs just as hard. I'm know a lot of people will disagree with that, but watch their highlight videos side by side with an unbiased eye and it's pretty clear...there is not much of a difference between these two guys. Trent might have more top end speed.

I'll be happy with either, but Doug in the 2nd seems like it makes much more sense. Of course if Doug goes later in the first then we'd miss out on both. We need to make sure we get Jason Snelling and/or Mike Tplbert in Free Agency so we don't end up being screwed.

docbravo

Pro Bowler

#28 : January 29, 2012, 07:51:41 PM

Can we PLEASE stop with the Cadillac = Richardson comparisons.... PLEASE.

Just because they both will be the the 5th pick in the draft, doesn't make them even. Cadillac was the 3rd BEST RB IN HIS DRAFT CLASS. You would have to compare Cadillac to who ever the 3RD BEST RB is in this draft class.

Mock drafts before free agency is about as useful as saying a coach is going to fail before he has his first practice.

freddy

Hall of Famer

#29 : January 29, 2012, 07:52:00 PM

I don't get how Trent is so much more physical and "beastly" when he is only 1 1/2 inches taller and 5lbs bigger than Martin. Truth is Doug Martin is every bit as strong as Trent and he runs just as hard. I'm know a lot of people will disagree with that, but watch their highlight videos side by side with an unbiased eye and it's pretty clear...there is not much of a difference between these two guys. Trent might have more top end speed.

I'll be happy with either, but Doug in the 2nd seems like it makes much more sense. Of course if Doug goes later in the first then we'd miss out on both. We need to make sure we get Jason Snelling and/or Mike Tplbert in Free Agency so we don't end up being screwed.

I wonder how Martin would have done in the Alabama RB friendly system? Richardson at Boise State?

EDIT:

....Cadillac was the 3rd BEST RB IN HIS DRAFT CLASS.

BTW, all three of those RB's proved very much not worth a top 5 pick.
: January 29, 2012, 07:53:44 PM Freddy
Page: 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Trent Richardson « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools