Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Disturbing read from Walterfootball.com « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
: January 30, 2012, 04:07:33 AM

Mike Williams to Fizzle Out?; Josh Freeman Inaccurately Criticized

Published Jan. 30, 2012
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

In the midst of a disastrous 4-12 season, there was plenty of chatter about the lack of work ethic for various members of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Former Buc defensive tackle Warren Sapp was critical of the short work days of general manager Mark Dominik. Others said the coaching staff wasn't working hard enough, and plenty of blame went to the players. Since the end of the season, there were some reports from national media members that Tampa Bay Buccaneer quarterback Josh Freeman was one of those players lacking a good work ethic.

After speaking with former coaches from the Bucs, they completely dispute the notion that Freeman wasn't working hard. They felt that Freeman had things to improve, but they were adamant that the effort was there from him. In the first couple of months after Freeman was drafted in 2009, teammates told me he had to pick up the pace, but he did that early in his rookie season. In his young career, Freeman has been attacking his job and putting in the necessary time required by starting quarterbacks. Former Buc coaches said that during the 2011 season, even after Tampa Bay fell out of playoff contention during a 10-game losing streak, Freeman was still working hard and putting in long hours.

Two players who allegedly deserve some criticism for not working hard enough are running back LeGarrette Blount and wide receiver Mike Williams. Sources said both players were not spending the right amount of time preparing their bodies for Sunday. Neither one was hitting the weight room or training room as they should. Former coaches said both players needed to spend regular time in the cold tub and build their bodies in the weight room to play better on Sundays.

Former team staff said Williams in particular was a mess. In the beginning of the season, Williams was struggling to get separation from defensive backs. He thought he was too heavy, so he started losing weight, and by the end of the season, sources said that Williams was too frail and didn't have the strength to fight off jams and re-routes. Williams also was said to be partying a lot at night, and as a result, he was falling asleep during meetings.

One coach said that if Williams doesn't wake up and turn things around, he will have another down year. After that, the Bucs would likely look to replace him, and he could end up hooking on with another team or two before fizzling out of the league. They said they wouldn't be surprised if Williams career fades and he never pans out. If that happens, Williams will indeed become the second coming of Michael Clayton. It is imperative for new head coach Greg Schiano and the new coaching staff to get through to Williams on working harder. Perhaps the disappointing 2011 season will be motivator with Williams halfway through his rookie contract.

Schiano stated he is going to change the culture and create a "Buccaneer Way" of working hard. Schiano inherits some high-effort players in Freeman, defensive tackle Gerald McCoy and guard Davin Joseph. Getting Williams and Blount to fall in line will be vital for Tampa Bay in 2012.

Former Buc coaches bemoaned the lack of talent on the roster, and how much the team is made up of players that have been cut by other teams and dependent on playing late-round picks. They said the last five drafts from the team can only be described as terrible.

Getting the team to overachieve like they did in 2010 is possible for Schiano, and at least he has a quarterback who will do everything he can to make it happen.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#1 : January 30, 2012, 05:45:04 AM

Blounts face looked fat when he was being interviewed about schiano being hired.

buchead

Hall of Famer

#2 : January 30, 2012, 05:53:27 AM

Who else wasnt working hard. It was quite evident the team still didnt know the offense in week 17. Receivers colliding, not knowing how to line up etc.
 If a guy can sleep through meetings and still start every week, it almost says more about the coaching staff than a young kid enjoying his fame and fortune. This new staff, and a new starting WR should be a splash of cold water to his face. Hell, if we sign VJax at WR I dont think Mike should just be given the number 2 slot. Dez scored more than anybody with less opportunities. Mike should have to fight for a starting spot.

Bucman

Hall of Famer
#3 : January 30, 2012, 06:07:19 AM

More "sources" by CC. How is it, he has so many sources. Yet PR has none anymore.

BerubesBucs

Hall of Famer

#4 : January 30, 2012, 06:25:10 AM

More "sources" by CC. How is it, he has so many sources. Yet PR has none anymore.
lol you guys are funny. Are you really arguing the potential validity of some of these claims?

The Franchi5e

Pro Bowler

#5 : January 30, 2012, 06:45:35 AM

Who else wasnt working hard. It was quite evident the team still didnt know the offense in week 17. Receivers colliding, not knowing how to line up etc.
 If a guy can sleep through meetings and still start every week, it almost says more about the coaching staff than a young kid enjoying his fame and fortune. This new staff, and a new starting WR should be a splash of cold water to his face. Hell, if we sign VJax at WR I dont think Mike should just be given the number 2 slot. Dez scored more than anybody with less opportunities. Mike should have to fight for a starting spot.

If we draft a receiver and sign a big time receiver in free agency like I think we should, Mike Williams, along with every other receiver currently on our roster shouldn't even be guaranteed a roster spot. This is a "what have you done for me lately" world. I don't give a damn what he did a couple years ago. If Arrellious Benn taps his potential under the new coaching staff he would be lightyears better than Mike Williams just off his size and speed alone. Dezmon Briscoe honestly looked like the best one on our whole team when he was given the chance. But the coaches would just continue to roll out there with the same guys no matter how poorly they played. Then you have Preston Parker who looked like a pretty solid slot receiver. Hopefully he's working hard right now and isn't out partying every night because he had somewhat of a breakout year.

Bayfisher

Hall of Famer

#6 : January 30, 2012, 06:47:23 AM

You could clearly see Josh Freeman didn't look in shape this past year.  I hope he loses the weight and gets back to form. 

mgchat76

Pro Bowler
#7 : January 30, 2012, 07:00:04 AM

I completely agree with those that said this was as much a coaching issue as it was a player issue.  I'll take it one step further and say it's a front office issue.  They refused to bring in any veteran leadership, and the culture of poor work ethics took hold.  Someone needs to teach these kids about being professionals.

The other part I find disturbing is the comment about former coaches calling the last 5 drafts terrible.  As far as I know the scouting department is intact.  How much pull in regard to draft picks is Schiano going to have?  Is he going to have to settle for what Dom and the scouting department gives him?

JavaRay

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer

#8 : January 30, 2012, 07:39:07 AM

Raheem wasn't working hard either.

Morgan

User is banned from postingMuted
Hall of Famer
#9 : January 30, 2012, 07:45:45 AM

Bring out the gimp - is that Jeff Faine behind Raheem's left shoulder?

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#10 : January 30, 2012, 07:48:34 AM

Our all pro RB wasn't working hard?  This can't be right!  Just another thing to add to his all-pro resume:  Slow, dances, lacks vision, can't pass protect, can't catch, fumbles, attitude issues, quiter, and lazy.  Just what you look for in an all-pro back.

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

BucNY

Hall of Famer

#11 : January 30, 2012, 07:50:05 AM

Opinions, these are all opinions and many Tampa writers, ex-players and members of this board are in a "the sky is falling" mind set. It's so boring.

\\\\\\\"This forum needs a poster like BucNY now more than ever\\\\\\\"
      - Everyone

Skull and Bones

Hall of Famer

#12 : January 30, 2012, 07:51:38 AM

this is why Blount and Williams can't be our #1s.

OKC PAC

Hall of Famer

#13 : January 30, 2012, 07:57:01 AM

Opinions, these are all opinions and many Tampa writers, ex-players and members of this board are in a "the sky is falling" mind set. It's so boring.
Well i guess all 32 teams have the same opinions as well.  There is a reason this guy wasn't drafted

Bring back GRUDEN!!!

dalbuc

Hall of Famer

#14 : January 30, 2012, 08:00:06 AM

Well we heard about people sleeping in and being late to meetings. It has to be someone so I'm not thinking these two make a list of guys I'd be shocked were sorta dogs.

All posts are opinions in case you are too stupid to figure that out on your own without me saying it over and over.
Page: 1 2 3 ... 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Disturbing read from Walterfootball.com « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools