Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Disturbing read from Walterfootball.com « previous next »
Page: 1 ... 8 9 10

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#135 : January 30, 2012, 06:58:49 PM

I had no idea running backs only had 4 years of availability. Looks like those Jaguars, Ravens, Vikings, and Bears better start looking for a new RB soon!

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#136 : January 30, 2012, 07:17:23 PM

So now I'm sure we'll see the responses of all those who think they're smarter than Bill Parcells.  LOL

yet how many 1st round picks has sean payton used on RB's?  3?  everyone is usually high on sean payton and his buddy pete carmichael.

if claiborne, kalil, blackmon, reiff or whomever is rated higher than richardson then take that guy.  but dont take a lesser player just because he plays a "less important" position.

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#137 : January 30, 2012, 08:10:42 PM

Chris Polk is every bit as good as Trent Richardson. The only significant difference is the talent surrounding them. Richardson benefited from being on a the best team in college football, and a lack of the same elite talent around him limited Polk's productivity, but Polk is physically capable of doing everything Richardson can. Mark my words, the only difference between those guys in the NFL will be the number that they were drafted at.

GameTime

Hall of Famer
#138 : January 30, 2012, 08:27:25 PM

so chris polk and doug martin are both as good if not better than trent richardson yet neither will get drafted anywhere near as high...how do these GM's miss so much?  or better question, why?

\"Lets put the O back in Country\"

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#139 : January 30, 2012, 08:36:16 PM

so chris polk and doug martin are both as good if not better than trent richardson yet neither will get drafted anywhere near as high...how do these GM's miss so much?  or better question, why?

I didn't say anything about Doug Martin. But for Chris Polk the answer is simple. It's the same reason that Reggie Bush was the 2nd overall pick and Maurice Jones-Drew was the 60th overall pick in 2006, the hype and increased production the comes with being on the best team in college football. Were Polk on the Crimson Tide, he scores more than 16 TD's last season, and if Richardson was on the Huskies squad, no way does he still get top 10 consideration. It happens almost every year at the RB position. Rarely is the first RB taken the best RB of his draft class.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
#140 : January 30, 2012, 08:38:26 PM

CBW2, I've noticed that too. The third or fourth back is often the best. Reiff then Polk in the second round?

In Verner We Trust

sharp2325

Starter

#141 : January 30, 2012, 08:40:10 PM

I agree, Richardson is not hands down better talent wise then some of the other RB's in this draft. He was in a better program with better players. It's not hard to figure that out. Put Martin, Polk, Pead, Miller, Ganaway on the Crimson Terds and they are heisman candidates.

CBWx2

Hall of Famer

#142 : January 30, 2012, 09:25:22 PM

CBW2, I've noticed that too. The third or fourth back is often the best. Reiff then Polk in the second round?

I definitely wouldn't hate Reiff in the 1st. I still think Blount can be a good primary back, so I'd rather take a CB in the 2nd if we go RT in the 1st, and a compliment runner in the 3rd.

1. Reiff
2. Chase Minnefield or Stephon Gilmore
3. Doug Martin or Isaiah Pead

Madman

Hall of Famer
#143 : January 30, 2012, 10:04:57 PM

Really don't see the resemblance to Jon Favreau. At all.

Detrimental

Hall of Famer

#144 : January 30, 2012, 10:15:24 PM

Chris Polk is every bit as good as Trent Richardson. The only significant difference is the talent surrounding them. Richardson benefited from being on a the best team in college football, and a lack of the same elite talent around him limited Polk's productivity, but Polk is physically capable of doing everything Richardson can. Mark my words, the only difference between those guys in the NFL will be the number that they were drafted at.
Polk lacks Richardson's breakaway speed. There close in just about every aspect except Richardson has less wear and tear and way fewer carries. Also, Polk looked horrible in the senior bowl. Looked sluggish, couldn't catch, and did not break many tackles in the open space. Richardson is better by a wide margin. Look what he does against SEC competition.

And its not about the numbers with Richardson. Its about his elite gifts. He is fast, explosive, strong, catches well, and pass blocks. He does everything grade A. Everybody else is a step below him in just about every category.

Piratic

Second String

#145 : January 30, 2012, 11:43:49 PM

Starting with TC last year, you could see Clayborn, and by extension Penn, was working so much harder than anyone else on the team that it stood out by stark comparison. The other two people who stood out was Preston Parker. I had to look up his name because he was working so much harder than the other WRs that I wanted to know who he was. Same with Dez Briscoe. What else was notable in my memory was the large number (to me) of injured players standing around in a variety of boots, cruches, etc. I thought OMG it looks like a third of the team was injured before the season even began. Luke Stocker, Brian Price, et al., with Winslow being handled lightly was a sight to behold. That led me to notice how many free agents and 7th round players were on the team.
Great observational take. I'm envious that you were able to go to last season's TC, and if you happen to have the opportunity to go again this season, you can be sure that I'll be begging for even more of your observations, especially since you'll be able to compare and contrast.

Again, the lack of veteran leadership on the team is eye opening. These guys weren't even doing the physical things, like building muscle and treating their bodies for soreness. This just reaks of young guys who don't know how to be professionals. Don't even get me started on the mental aspects, falling asleep in meetings, not working on blitz protection schemes, etc. These guys have poential to be very good, but when you peel away the natural athleticism, you don't see the physical and mental preparation that is needed to get ahead in the NFL. SMH.

Once again this leads right back to the feet of management...Raheem didn't help matters with his friends-first techniques but management did not provide the personnel necessary to assist the young guys to assimilate and grow as professionals. My reason for bringing this up is that the same guys that ran that ship aground are running this one....why should I assume it will be any different?
Cerious,
Completely agree, the lack of professionalism that pervaded that locker room is, was, and will continue to be (at least for a while) an embarrassment to us all.

I do my best to ONLY pay attention to their athleticism, or rather, to what happens on the field of play. Their athleticism, along with the violent nature of the sport, are the reasons why we pay any attention to them at all. All players at this level should be coachable, period. With that as a given, these individuals should relatively easily be able to grasp the concepts their coach(s) are trying to teach, and the last coaching staff failed at this task, without question.

For the record, I wanted Coach Morris to succeed, for the obvious reason that he was the Head Coach of my Buccaneers, and that is why I want Coach Schiano to succeed, as well. It was obviously impossible to retain a Head Coach whose players showed alarming regression week after week, which devolved into the certified embarrassment that was the 2011 season. Coach Morris' was ill prepared to be a Head Coach, and it showed. That is not the case for Coach Schiano. He has been a Head Coach for over a decade. Please don't anyone overlook this fact, because it will pay dividends, y'all just watch.   

BTFU,
I'll suggest that an entirely new coaching staff and soon-to-be-realised Free Agency opportunities should appease you and others with a like mindset.

I look forward to OBP being transformed from a playground to a workplace. It was a real shame what the lack of leadership from the top of the coaching staff allowed that place to become...

Great quote: "...transformed from a playground to a workplace."...and, yes, it was indeed shameful.

I don't get Buc fans, its like "forget AP, we got Carnell Williams" and we end up RIP(Adams)

Why would Tampa pass up on an elite RB prospect.... when its a glaring need? I look it like this, Richardson could come in and produce as a top 10 RB in the NFL this year. The chances of that happening for Blackmon/rookie QB/or any other prospect isn't as good. Richardson is a man among boys on the field. He has top 3 RB potential in the NFL. Can that be said about the other prospects? Eh, probably not..... If you see a player that looks like a sure-bet, take him, and don't think twice.

1. He only adds value if he is an elite RB. Blount's rushing actually would be better IF he got more carries.
2. RB ROI starts earlier but ends earlier. They're the cherry on top, not the sundae. You need to develop other parts of this team so why get impact day 1 guy when you can develop impact year 3 type players and then add impact day 1 guy when you are ready to really compete. Then work them in a competitive situation through their prime.
3. We don't know what Blount is. Our lousy staff never coached anything properly so the "he can't pay on passing downs" might not be true. Seriously, can you name another RB so bad at pass pro he can't even see the field?
4. You look at Richardson wasn't even the most effecicint RB on the roster for Bama. You saw the deflation of Ingram so this notion that Richardson is heads and shoulders an elite prospect I don't buy. The logic that Richardson is "bullet proof" isn't true. He's as much subject to busting as any other player.
5. Richardson isn't the only elite player at the spot so if I have a choice of RB vs OT or RB vs CB or RB vs WR I'm taking the latter in every case.
1. Richardson is an elite RB. So I guess he has value. Its not all about rushing numbers. An all purpose RB opens up the offense and keeps teams on their toes. How quickly did we forget that a beast like Duece McAllister was able to open up the Saints offense that featured Jeff Blake/Aaron Brooks with Joe Horn's of the worlds that ended up beating us annually. Just saying, a 3 down back opens the offense up for Freeman. A threat out the backfield is a plus too, ask Flacco.

2. The year impact 1 guy has a better chance than the guy we "pray" to develop he will be good in year 3. Again, revert to 2007 NFL draft.
3. When our running back is not with the team during meetings, avoiding the weight room, etc...I seriously doubt he was ready to protect Freeman. I rather play the guy who at least shows up. Blount lacks the mental make-up of a great RB.
4. This is where your lost. Production is not why he is an elite RB. Elite prospect b/c he excels at everything. He can catch well, he can neutralize blitzing defenders, he can run over defenders, he can run away defenders, he has top notch agility in the open field. He IS special RB prospect. It ain't hard to tell. Watching more than just 1 game, would help. Again, the numbers are defining what makes him an elite back. Ingram was NEVER considered an elite back. He could not run away from DB's and he did not posses the brute strength Richardson has. Richardson is a way way better NFL prospect and its not even close.
5. Yeah, Adams was an elite prospect too right? Look how that panned out.....If RB is a need on this team, which it is, and you have a guy that can fill that need and possibly be a top 3 RB in the NFL. You take him every time. I can see the case for Claiborne but Blackmon elite? Not even close.

Great points, all around, but I keep coming back to this by dalbuc: "...if I have a choice of RB vs OT or RB vs CB or RB vs WR I'm taking the latter in every case."

We have plenty of proven players here.

Really?  Outside of Ronde and Penn, I can't think of one.

Know sarcasm.

Just having a lil' fun mimicking all of the message board lemmings..
When did using blue text as a sign for sarcasm die out? It's nearly impossible to distinguish sarcasm otherwise, and yet people either don't know about it, (bad) or they refuse to use it. (worse)

Page: 1 ... 8 9 10
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Disturbing read from Walterfootball.com « previous next »
:

Hide Tools Show Tools