Welcome, Guest
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Subtle hints suggest Bucs will be players in free agency « previous next »
Page: 1 2 3 ... 7

michael89156

Hall of Famer

« : January 30, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »

JANUARY 30, 2012

Subtle hints suggest Bucs will be players in free agency

Lost amid all the news and fallout from Greg Schiano’s hiring by the Bucs last week was an interesting conversation we had with general manager Mark Dominik about the Bucs’ approach to this offseason.

You heard co-chairman Joel Glazer’s emphatic statements earlier this month on free-agent spending and his vow that the Bucs will do what it takes to again become competitive in the NFC South.

Now, Dominik offers similar sentiments when asked about areas of the roster that need to be improved and how the team will go about making that happen.

“We understand we’re not a finished product,” he said. “I know that there’s things we need to address on this team and I know that we’ll do it in all capacities. We’re going to do it in free agency. I don’t want people to be worried that we’re not going to spend in free agency. We’ll be involved.”

The draft also will continue to be a central part of the process.

“We’ll absolutely do it in the draft,” he said. “We have the fifth pick in the draft. Whether we stay there or move around, it’s a big selection for our football team. But there’s still things that have to be addressed on this football team from a talent aspect, absolutely. And I look forward to Coach Schiano being a big piece of that in terms of making sure we bring the right men to this football program and it becomes successful the way he wants it to be.”

We’re sure fans have their free-agent wish lists, and those dreams may or may not come true. But given the investment in Schiano (who received a 5-year contract) and the tenor of the press conference (about this being a new beginning for the Buccaneers), you get the feeling there’s going to be a change in approach from ownership.

Another key: Schiano didn’t need this job. He had a good situation at Rutgers. You can assume he made his expectations and hopes clear before signing on.

“When we were interviewing him, I know that he was interviewing us, too,” Dominik said. “You could tell by the questions that he would ask back that were very specific, intelligent questions. He doesn’t just want to be in the NFL. He wants to find the right job. For him to choose Tampa speaks volumes for what he (sees) here and what we’re trying to do here.

“All (candidates) had questions, but it’s the depth of the questions that made me feel confident that if Schiano was offered the head-coaching job of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, I believe he wants to be the head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.”

I would be stunned if at least some of those questions didn’t deal with player acquisitions.

While no one expects the Bucs to go on a spending bonanza similar to that of the Eagles of 2011 – and that’s not a prudent approach anyway – notice that you don’t hear the same buzzwords you’ve heard in the past. They still believe in building through the draft, but no one seems to be talking about free agency as if it’s a plague, either.

We’ll know in another several weeks when the signing period begins what level of involvement the Bucs will have in free agency. But there is reason to think they will, in fact, be players in the market.
Posted by Stephen Holder at 1:16:48 pm on January 30, 2012

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #1 : January 30, 2012, 01:28:41 PM »

Based on what I've been picking up, I think they've got a FA WR at the top of their needs list.

Genesis8510

Starter
« #2 : January 30, 2012, 01:29:22 PM »

Based on what I've been picking up, I think they've got a FA WR at the top of their needs list.
VJackson I hope.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #3 : January 30, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »

That is a given.

Genesis8510

Starter
« #4 : January 30, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »

I wouldnt be surprised if they go for 2 WR in FA honestly. They have to give Freeman weapons to find out which year was a fluke. 2010 or 2011.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #5 : January 30, 2012, 01:32:13 PM »

I don't see any way Schiano takes the job without some sort of guarantee that the FO will make some moves in FA. Plus, Schiano doesn't really have a connection to most of these guys because he's only coached 2 of them (Johnson and Zuttah). Raheem was promoted from inside so he knew most of these guys before getting the job. That means, no friendships and no second chances. He is going to have to take the best of what we have and cut the rest. And you can't fill out the needs in the draft if you want to make changes.

Ron Swanson

Starter

« #6 : January 30, 2012, 01:32:58 PM »

VJackson I hope.
+1

sure DJackson is electrifying sometimes, but he's a freaking whiny baby. I live in PA and have watched him pout and throw tantrums  too many times on the sidelines to want him.

\"When I eat it is the food that is scared.\" -R.S.

The Anti-Java

Hall of Famer

« #7 : January 30, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »

Manningham

DeSean

Stevie Johnson

V-Jack

sig pic by chace1986

PewterReportMC....
\\\\\\\"Java, do you understand this a perfect example of why people beg me to suspend or ban you on a daily basis? Are you actually trying to make a point? Seriously what is the reason for even commenting. In fact why do you even bother coming to the boards? What happened to the intelligent poster from years ago?  A real shame. Like the Bucs yesterday, a wasted effort.\\\\\\\"

DanTurksGhost

Hall of Famer

« #8 : January 30, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »

I've heard Bowe's name mentioned, but that doesn't mean they're necessarily interested in him specifically.

alldaway

Hall of Famer
« #9 : January 30, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »

Unfortunately, the 49ers are hot on the trail of V-Jack so don't expect the Bucs to be making splash moves in free agency.

Naismith

Hall of Famer
« #10 : January 30, 2012, 01:34:38 PM »

Is there a Hardy Nickerson-type LB? By that, I mean someone with his demeanor and toughness and leadership that could step in and really have credibility.

There\'s a very real chance the Bucs waive [Revis] before next season. At the very least, it will be a discussion worth having.

DeltaBuc5

Hall of Famer

« #11 : January 30, 2012, 01:34:42 PM »

Sure, why not...

Feel Real Good

Hall of Famer

« #12 : January 30, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »

What a difference six months and a 10-game losing streak makes!

On that note, Bucs general manager Mark Dominik defends his team’s approach to free agency, saying the club will not diverge from its philosophy of limiting its forays into the free-agent market.

“It was our plan from Day 1 and we haven’t veered from it,” Dominik said. “We knew right off the bat is wasn’t popular, we all know that. Not to rehash the names, but it wasn’t popular. We’re not there yet. We haven’t made the playoffs yet.

“But we stayed the course and we’re going to stay the course. I feel energy from the fans, that they’re excited about this football team, they’re excited about these young guys and they can’t wait to go out and see the games and see what they can do. I’m the same way.”

Dominik indicated that the Bucs wouldn’t be engaging in much free-agent activity beyond the deals they’ve already done. The Bucs have signed five unrestricted free agents, four of which were their own players (Davin Joseph, Jeremy Trueblood, Quincy Black and Adam Hayward).

“I would say in terms of free agency, I’m excited to see what these 90 guys (currently on the roster) can do right now,” Dominik said. “. . . That’s the way I’m approaching free agency now.”

But why not delve into signing outside free agents beyond punter Michael Koenen? Dominik suggested the Bucs’ approach hasn’t been all that different.

“I think there are a lot of clubs that sat on the sidelines more than we did,” he said. “And No. 2, our internal thoughts were always to retain our players. Therefore, by re-signing Davin Joseph, I didn’t have to go re-sign some other guard who was more popular because he was from outside.

The grass isn’t greener.”

Another of Dominik's major themes today: The Bucs' successful drafts the past two seasons have created a situation where there's no pressure to sign free agents. In other cities many free-agent signings are made necessary by the inability of teams' draft picks to produce.

"They're here and they were already winning last year," Dominik said. "So, they were already playing important roles for us. (Rookie guard) Ted Larsen steps in (last season), becomes our left guard and he's here. So, we don't have to go buy a guard in free agency because I have a lot of confidence in Ted Larsen the player."

FRG is the most logical poster on this board.  You guys just don\'t like where the logical conclusions take you.

anterrabae33

Hall of Famer

« #13 : January 30, 2012, 01:35:57 PM »

No to Bowe.
I can't stand DJax but he is too athletic to not take a look at.
V-Jax is fine by me.
I don't know if Manningham is really a better option than what we have. He didn't start off well and played well this year because he had Nicks and Cruz taking the heat off him.

jerseybucsfan

Hall of Famer
« #14 : January 30, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »

Address WR in free agency then take care of the Oline and LB in the draft. Unless of course Nicks becomes a possibility....

In Verner We Trust
  Page: 1 2 3 ... 7
Pewter Report  >>  Boards  >>  The Red Board (Moderators: 3rd String Kicker, PRPatrol)  >>  Topic: Subtle hints suggest Bucs will be players in free agency « previous next »
:  

Hide Tools Show Tools